Quick Prop Palette changed formats :(

I don't know how, but when I booted up my Quick Properties Palette was nothing like the usual. I've tried going into Workspace and re-setting all kinds of things but can't get it back to what I want!

Mine that I don't like:

- everything's all in one row (not separated by TEXT, GEOMETRY, ETC.)

- it won't dock (despite selecting the "dock" option in the properties)

- it keeps auto-hiding even though I tell it not to

autocad quick prop palette boo.jpg

The one I used to have that I want back:

- gray background

- each category had its own heading

- autodocks and doesn't auto-hide

autocad quick prop palette yay.jpg

Any ideas?

Yes, I've tied Ctrl-1 and rebooting.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Sbeth85

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so I don't know the difference between them... I want whatever the guy in the second picture has... that's what I had before it mysteriously disappeared.

**edit**

Hm, so going on what you said ReMark, I clicked below to turn off the QuickProp and re-clicked on the Properties Quick Launch icon, and I got my palette back... I don't know why it made me run around like this :(

Try to remain calm.

Type the word Properties at the command line then press Enter.

It won't disappear if you save it as part of your workspace.

On the bottom image you can see that the Quick Properties icon, which is the third one from the right is turned off.

Once you get the QUICK PROPERTIES opened right click on the left border of it and you can adjust the behavior to suit.

There ar elots of interesting options.

When you get a chance you can customize all of the object displays by type, that too is accessed by right clicking

over the border of the pallette.

CTRL+shift+P pushed simultaneously will cycle it on and off also, should you lose track of your icon,

which can be added to your status bar from the drop down menu over in your lower right corner. :)

Dadgad: It was just a mix up. Sbeth85 was actual referring to the Properties palette.

Cool, just reread it, yeah looks like you got her back on the tracks, good job.

But QUICK PROPERTIES are much cooler, once you know how to drive them. :beer:

Dadgad, whatdyamean?

Oh, since I have you 2 gurus attention... Why do my Layer Manager rows keep getting reorganized? (I have to keep dragging VPFreeze column to the left, repositioning Color column, etc.)

Any ideas? (yes my workspace is on auto-save)

Last things first.

Workspaces do not have an auto-save feature; drawings do and that's only if you set it up under Options.

Once you have your workspace set up the way you want you must then save it. My advice is to save it under a unique name. For example you might save it as Sbeth85 2D Drafting.

I've already got my name on a workspace setup... how do I ensure it gets re-saved with the proper Layers Manager setup? Do I have to re-do the Layers Manager for each and every drawing I open?

No, you should not have to redo it. But once you have things the way you want then you MUST resave your custom workspace or all will be for naught.

Dadgad, whatdyamean?

Oh, since I have you 2 gurus attention... Why do my Layer Manager rows keep getting reorganized? (I have to keep dragging VPFreeze column to the left, repositioning Color column, etc.)

Any ideas? (yes my workspace is on auto-save)

Quick Properties takes up less screen space, and is customizable to show only the information

that you specify, based on the type of object which is selected.

You can also set it to Auto Hde or Collapse to a small size, and may or may not be interested in

displaying it in proximity to your cursor, at a relative position you specify.

Once you have customized the display to show ONLY specific information

for the full range of different object types, you will have much quicker access

to the information which you typically want to see, instead of automatically

getting EVERYTHING, which in my opinion, is just a waste of time and space.

I hate having to sort through lots of different stuff which I never use.

I know what I want to see, the software has all the information,

but doesn't understand inherently, how I typically use it, unless I tell it first.

Another settings allows you to not display the pallette for entity types

for which you have made no display choices. Or you can have it display

for every object type by default.

I really like the QUICK PROPERTIES, would be lost without them. :)

Edited by Dadgad

Last things first.

Workspaces do not have an auto-save feature; drawings do and that's only if you set it up under Options.

Once you have your workspace set up the way you want you must then save it. My advice is to save it under a unique name. For example you might save it as Sbeth85 2D Drafting.

Actually in your WORKSPACE SETTINGS dialog you do have the option of, any changes to an existing defined workspace, being automatically saved.

Right click on the Workspace icon, and explore the different options. I would also suggest setting your Workspace HOME to that which you typically wish to use, as your default. :)

I'd recommend not using that option because too often we try something or do something that we really did not want to save in the first place. Treat that option as though it doesn't exist and you'll have less trouble to deal with.

I'd already set my Workspace to automatic save in any case... and yet the Layer Properties Manager was still reorganizing.

I just re-organized it, re-saved the workspace, and rebooted Autocad. Thankfully, my settings stayed. The question is if they'll stay tomorrow, when I reboot the computer.

I've never experienced a problem such as you have described in my LPM. Unless you go in and change the settings when you open the drawing tomorrow they should be exactly as you left them. There are no gremlins that secretly boot up your computer overnight and change your AutoCAD settings just to annoy you.

I'd recommend not using that option because too often we try something or do something that we really did not want to save in the first place. Treat that option as though it doesn't exist and you'll have less trouble to deal with.

My post did not constitute an endorsement, I don't use that option myself,

just trying to move information around in the interest of clarity. :beer:

Dadgad, if I could winnow the Properties palette to show only what I wanted, I'd be ecstatic. I just don't like how the Quick Properities doesn't dock, it turns on and off, and it doesn't organize by type of info.

I've never experienced a problem such as you have described in my LPM. Unless you go in and change the settings when you open the drawing tomorrow they should be exactly as you left them. There are no gremlins that secretly boot up your computer overnight and change your AutoCAD settings just to annoy you.

Actually other people have this issue as well, so I ain't paranoid! 8) And so far seems like there's no solution.

UPDATE:

I rebooted today. The specific drawings that were open when I'd saved my preferred LPM format stayed the same. HOWEVER all new drawings I'm opening have the default set-up :(.

So it seems I need to set up each LPM PER DRAWING... annoying.