Labelling Contours

Eoin

I am not doubting you have it working on your computer at the mo, I should clarify my last comment: I am trying to tell you it aint working on my computer and trying to get to the bottom of why this is the case!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eoin

• ReMark

• eldon

• Organic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not doubting you have it working on your computer at the mo, I should clarify my last comment: I am trying to tell you it aint working on my computer and trying to get to the bottom of why this is the case!

ReMark is just verifying the code itself actually works. Not much point trying to get it to run on your 'puter if it doen't run at all.

The code runs. check. messing with it accidentally/on purpose isn't gonna help.

No clarification needed.

I cannot explain why the routine won't work on your computer running 2010 when it will work on mine running 2015. Personally I would expect the exact opposite of that to happen. That I will have to leave up to eldon to explain as he was the one who provided the code. In the meantime you will have to either find another way to add the contour intervals or find another lisp routine that can do it for you.

right, got it, eventually, however I follow the prompts like so: Left or Right Justified; (L) enter, Label Location; I click on contour and she puts up a circle (could be a zero) enter, Text Height; (10) enter, and then she just has nil wrote in the command box?

The circle is used to cut the line. The text might not have been inserted at the correction location. Use the FIND command to search for it.

This is one of those times when the person who provided the code, and is somewhat familiar with it, is the best person to answer your questions. You'll have to be patient or find another solution.

The code has been compiled to prevent folk from pinching ideas. That is why you are seeing gobbledegook in the text editor :shock:

The code was part of a programme CivilCAD (???), and was protected with a dongle. I found out how to use the labelling part manually, whereas in the proper programme, you would be just clicking on a menu.

If you ID the contour line, is there a z value? The routine only works if the z value is not zero.

It draws a circle where the label will be going and breaks the polyline to allow the text to be in line with the contour, so do all your curve fitting before you do the labelling.

The L and R justified is to allow the labels to be turned through 180 degrees, although manually rotating them by 180 does the same thing.

And is your polyline curve fitted? I don't think that it works if the polyline is just a series of straight lines.

And I think that it leaves BlipMode on.

It does not exit cleanly, giving that command line.

I told you that you would have to learn how to use it. :shock:

The code has been compiled to prevent folk from pinching ideas. That is why you are seeing gobbledegook in the text editor :shock:

The code was part of a programme CivilCAD (???), and was protected with a dongle. I found out how to use the labelling part manually, whereas in the proper programme, you would be just clicking on a menu.

If you ID the contour line, is there a z value? Ya when I highlight the contours properties, they each have an individual elevationThe routine only works if the z value is not zero.

It draws a circle where the label will be going and breaks the polyline to allow the text to be in line with the contour, so do all your curve fitting before you do the labelling.

The L and R justified is to allow the labels to be turned through 180 degrees, although manually rotating them by 180 does the same thing.

when ya complete the process, the circles remain, they dont break the line, txt doesnt appear to appear and "nil" comes up in the command box

And I think that it leaves BlipMode on.

It does not exit cleanly, giving that command line.

I told you that you would have to learn how to use it. :shock:

as a wise man once said to me, "this is getting awful f***ing complicated"

I think that the curve fitting of the polyline is essential. I checked this on a curve fitted polyline at zero elevation, and it labelled it 0.

It is probably working perfectly, but unfortunately your contours are not in the expected format.

To allow others to check this, can you post a drawing with several polylines in it.

It is for FREE.

I know, I joke. I curve fitted all of my polylines and ran the lisp and she works sound, however when curve fitting the contours, the ran into each other so that they now overlap?? obviously a point cant have two z levels!!

I don't know how many contours you have curve fitted, but I have found that with the Fit option of polyline editing, then curves can get out of control, and wander all over the place.

I used the Spline option, having first set the SplineType to 5.

When the label is drawn, you will find that the linetype generation has been turned off.

I remember now why I stopped using this lisp.

Working with Trimble Business Centre, I have generated a number of contour lines. When I export the file as a dxf to CAD, my 3d polylines are label-less.

I'm not familiar with Trimble Business Centre although perhaps contact their support and ask why the contour labels are not exporting; it is almost surely possible if the right option is turned on when exporting. We've had trouble with other survey software before where the developers half way around the world (speaking a different language) have rushed out patches(

If you only have a few contours to label as a once off then perhaps just do it manually in AutoCad.

Please stop what you are doing. There is no need to open and look at the code. It is meaningless to you.

Open your drawing. Invoke the APPLOAD command. Load the lisp program. AutoCAD will tell you that it has been successfully loaded.

Go to your command line. Type: CIV00029 and press the Enter key. Follow the command line prompts.

Are we clear now? Yes or no?

Is there really a need for the passive aggressiveness?

Organic: Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. I love you too man.

Now tell us, does this mean you will be following your true passion and finally become a psychoanalyst? I do hope so. We need more people with such deep insight such as yourself. I wish you well in your new career.

Edited by ReMark

Eoin:

Here is a link to another thread about a contour labeling lisp routine. Look at the first reply by ymg3 that contains an lisp routine that is based upon a program written by Alan Thompson. It has a couple of special requirements but maybe it could be adapted for your use.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?83154-Lisp-to-Label-Contours

And here is a link to another lisp routine called Contourannotate.lsp written by Tom Beauford and posted by lpseifert at the Eng-Tips Forum.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=230227

Found two more lisp routines in this thread. One is by lpseifert and the other by Alan Cullen.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?11838-How-do-I-Automatically-label-contours

Hope that one of these might better suit your needs. Good luck.

Edited by ReMark

Organic: Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. I love you too man.

Now tell us, does this mean you will be following your true passion and finally become a psychoanalyst? I do hope so. We need more people with such deep insight such as yourself. I wish you well in your new career.

You're welcome :lol:

Hmm, I will have to think about that one. ;)

and the other by Alan Cullen.

I wonder what he is up to these days. Probably retired and still celebrating the Maroons winning streak!