Extending & Trimming - why does this happen?

Guitte

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guitte

• ReMark

• steven-g

• Tharwat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A! That profile was there to get the setting out of the posts. I deleted it in the mean time :facepalm: .Sorry ReMark.

Yes i did use array Steven-g. If that is the case, what should i have done instead, so that this can happen again.

I don't think it is a big problem, just be aware next time that one of the options in the array command is to array in the Z axis (that might not have been the problem). It takes a bit of getting used too, but the best way to track down and fix this it to select all your geometry one group at a time, i.e. use qselect and only choose lines that have a Z value not equal to 0, then change that to zero, then do the same for polylines then circles, text etc. one of the big problems are arcs, they can be a pain to sort out. You're drawing before it got muddled up with the -1E99 stuff wasn't too bad, and all the odd stuff was neatly stacked up every 577mm. I did correct that and then purged and saved the drawing but it was still too large to post.

"....but it was still too large to post."

That's because it appears every object is a separate entity (almost 19000 objects). Makes me wonder why the OP did not use blocks unless he did then exploded them.

Hi ReMark,

We use blocks for the aluminium profiles, sometimes we have to explode the blocks to make modifications to suit the application. I have deleted the other drawings on the drawing, which are finished and manufactured, hopefully they are not part of this problem. I haven't cleaned the drawing after sending the drawing to Steven-g, that might be the reason for 19000 objects, not sure.

Steven-g, i have opened the drawing which you have sorted back to zero, can trim and extend which is obvious. What bothers me, is why could you trim and extend that specific line yesterday but i couldn't. Mysteries of the days.

I think that might remain a mystery, I'll take a look through the list of variables but I don't know of one that might cause that to happen

I might have found it, what is the variable PROJMODE on your computer, because of the varying Z values, projmode makes a difference, I am guessing on your computer it is set to 0, try setting it to 1 and see if that makes a difference.

Hi ReMark,

We use blocks for the aluminium profiles, sometimes we have to explode the blocks to make modifications to suit the application. I have deleted the other drawings on the drawing, which are finished and manufactured, hopefully they are not part of this problem. I haven't cleaned the drawing after sending the drawing to Steven-g, that might be the reason for 19000 objects, not sure.

Why didn't you use BEDIT to modify the blocks? It is very inefficient to explode blocks especially when so many are used in one drawing. One extrusion alone had almost 300 objects. At that rate it won't take long to balloon the file size way beyond what it probably should be if blocks were used instead.

You can also decrease the file size (marginally) by making better use of layers. In the example you posted you had layers that seemed to duplicate other layers. Examples include:

Aluminum Profiles and AluminumProfile.

Brickwork, Concrete and Concrete & Brickwork.

Dimension incl. Text and Dims and another layer called Text and Dimensions.

When you run the -purge command do you purge Regapps first as previously suggested?

Lol! I have tried that as well, after i had used -Purge & overkill. If i remember correctly it only worked with 1 line then tried EDGEMODE, that didnt work then if you select trim or extend/ r-click it gives you options of FENCE/CROSSING/PROJECT etc. Used Project gives you options NONE/UCS/VIEW. On a previous occasion PROJECT/NONE worked. Not yesterday. Ill don't think there will be a difference today, cause i selected all lines and made them all Z=0. Will try it again when the problem comes up.

ReMark, when you edit a block and modify it, it modifies also the blocks you have used in other previous drawings. Therefor to make a small change, by keeping the original i explode the block. Unfortunately there isn't yet a definite decision made on how the layers must be called. Have to use LAYDEL every time to delete the unnecessary layers. When i haven't worked on it for a week or so, i find the layers back. Getting somewhat irritated then leave it. What is Regapps?

ReMark, when you edit a block and modify it, it modifies also the blocks you have used in other previous drawings.

Incorrect.

Block definitions are stored in the drawing file that they are inserted into. Changes to the block definition in the drawing or the library file do not affect any other files. What you are describing is what XREFs are used for.

The layers should already be defined in the drawing template file used by the company you are working for and every CAD tech should adhere to them religiously unless there is a good reason to deviate. Who is the CAD Manager and why isn't he/she doing their job?

If you have to explode a block to make a change then why not finish the job and create a new block rather than have an entity comprised of 300 separate objects? Now you copy that entity over and over and your file size starts growing. It's just not good practice.

Regapps = Registered Applications. Purging unreferenced Regapps will not harm a drawing any more than purging unreferenced linetypes, layers or text styles.

Does your company have a set of CAD drafting standards to follow?

The change is so little, that it is not really a necessity to make it a block. The guy in the factory needs to know this change. It is worth the try and see the difference. The company is relatively new, they have bought another company out. They want to use standards, they just don't get that far. The biggest problem is when i start a drawing from scratch, all unnecessary layers out such as the layers you have mentioned previously. When opening the drawing after a week, i find extra layers and drawings from other sources in it. I was told to start from scratch which i have done, now you get new guys in and "don't have the time to change the layers". Its ridiculous, hopefully in time we will get standards.

The change is so little, that it is not really a necessity to make it a block.

With that thinking, why would you use a block in the first place? Did you even see my previous response?

So, you would rather have bloated drawings than use good drafting practices? You're not setting a good example. Standards only work if everyone follows them.

The extrusions are so small that when you move, copy, rotate or mirror what appears to be a single entity, but isn't, it becomes easy to leave something behind.

The company drafting practices need an overhaul and they should be inforced. Is there a CAD Manager?

No, not in the sense of CAD, a manager that is slowly trying to put standards together (too slow for me). Isn't XREF's used in AutoCad 3D models and when do you use Blocks vs WBlock?