Extending & Trimming - why does this happen?

Guitte

Xrefs can be used in 2D and 3D drawings.

If you use the Block command the block stays within the drawing it was created in. To pull the block into another drawing you would have to use Copy/Paste or the Design Center. If you use the WBlock command the block definition is written to your hard drive and saved as a .dwg file. To use the block in another drawing invoke the Insert command.

With 5+ years of AutoCAD some of this should already be known to you.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guitte

• ReMark

• steven-g

• Tharwat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As i understand making the drawing smaller you use "block" so I can make it much more smaller by making a whole facade drawing a block and not just profiles?

I think you are missing the point of using a block. At least one of the blocks you exploded contained almost 300 separate entities. I might not stubbornly disagree with you if it only contained three entities although it is usually not a good practice, as RobDraw mentioned, to start exploding blocks indiscriminately.

Take a good look at your drawing. Those extrusions that used to be blocks, and were subsequently exploded, are so small compared to the remainder of the drawing they are easily lost within the context of the drawing.

Can blocks be used for an assembly or making a facade? Yes.

As i understand making the drawing smaller you use "block" so I can make it much more smaller by making a whole facade drawing a block and not just profiles?

Not quite, by making a block of one of the profiles that has 300 parts and then copying that to 100 different places, it means you have 300 entities in one block and then 100 references to that block, which would reduce your file size, by making 30 000 entities into a big block it wouldn't reduce the size.

One never knows everything with 5+ years of using ACAD, even guys in their 15+ years of experience doesn't even know some of the things you guys teach me. Most facades are unique and the chances of using it again is very rare, so making a block out of it will make the drawing lighter. Is it still good in the sense of drawing practice? Whereas using each profile as a block and use it in other drawings will be much more time efficient and make your drawing lighter without creating blocks all the time.

"100 references to that block, which would reduce your file size, by making 30 000 entities into a big block it wouldn't reduce the size." Why can it reduce the size?

Blocks and WBlocks are considered by many to be basic principles of AutoCAD. These commands are covered in every book, every course, every tutorial I have ever seen or heard. If you said that over a span of 5 years you had never encountered or knew of geometric or dimensional constraints I might be inclined to believe that to be the case.

Make it easy on yourself. Objects that tend to be used often (repetitively) should be considered good candidates for blocks. Therefore, if I am going to have to use multiple instances of an extrusion then it would be wise to create a block to represent that extrusion. That is basic common sense when it comes to CAD.

Zone08_3.jpg

The objects circled in red are a block named LOUVER BL. Similar objects above are all comprised of separate lines. That is to say each and every rectangle consists of four individual lines. Why is that so if a block was available?

Not every course. They only make you vary of it, Never explained in detail "why" it is needed. Until you get in to the practice area and then you start to understand and learn.

Yes, i could have used the rectangle command as well, then that would mean here wasn't 4 individual lines. Can also make each column a block?

"Not every course." I'm very skeptical of that statement. Be that as it may, users can still find out the basics of how to use any command in AutoCAD via the Help file. Last I checked (a minute ago) both the Block and WBlock command are covered in AutoCAD LT 2014.

Zone08_4.jpg

Here is an example from your own drawing where the use of a block would have prevented a couple of problems. Look at the object on the right. Note that as the entities were copied or mirrored the end result left you with two stray line segments and two instances of a missing arc. Multiple that by the number of times that object was used in the drawing.

Jip, it is there i went and check when we got on the subject of blocks. Even if you guys give me a "run for my money" about subject, just know i appreciate the help. :oops:

Ill keep that in mind and put it to practice to use blocks.

Never explained in detail "why" it is needed. Until you get in to the practice area and then you start to understand and learn.

And that is the real problem for a lot of people, most of the time HOW is fairly easy to explain, but the WHY, is what makes it understandable, and trying to explain that is a lot harder. It is worth while looking closer at how to make blocks, but try and find some information on the theory of them, and that would help you a lot.

Yes, i could have used the rectangle command as well, then that would mean here wasn't 4 individual lines. Can also make each column a block?

Sorry, I missed this response earlier.

Yes, you could have used the Rectangle command followed by the Array command. Could each column be made into a block? Yes. But it would probably only be helpful if you were going to reproduce that view, or something similar, more than once. I would say it's up to the user's discretion.

I'll check the tutorials out, there is something that doesn't make sense as RobDraw explained about blocks and xrefs. Using the above drawings as ReMark explained, i opened Design Center/select the standard sheet/ blocks; Dimstyles, layers etc. Under blocks i find the detail i was looking for, under xrefs its empty. Dragged the correct detail over to the drawing, modify to see what will happen and the "block/xref" in the standard sheet has also changed. Is it an xref or a block?

How and where are you modiying the block, in the original drawing or in the copy, are you dragging from the original to the new or the other way round. Are you dragging from the design center or just between open drawings.