• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guitte

• ReMark

• steven-g

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you suggest i do? Make of the 3 different types of slab details each a block of and then draw all the vertical lines? That should make the object count less, but wont solve the geometry. And even though i make a block of each, the geometry will still be a mess in the block itself, right?

The geometry would only be "a mess in the block" if someone wasn't paying attention to what they were doing or using blocks by outside sources that were done incorrectly to begin with.

How did you get that right? The big blocks are part of a door. That is suppose to be much smaller. What did you do? Im trying to fix this drawing and its getting ripped apart here.

I checked the block reference properties, Unit factor 25.4 should this be 1:1?

The geometry would only be "a mess in the block" if someone wasn't paying attention to what they were doing or using blocks by outside sources that were done incorrectly to begin with.

This will mean that our library unit factor is incorrect and also check the block unit its in inches must be metric.

I inserted each block without making any changes to its scale so what you see is what AutoCAD inserted all on its own. If you changed the scale during the insertion process then that would explain why we got different results.

Im experiencing these headaches due to the fact that others are doing the details roughly and i have to finish it off smoothly. As you show it out to me ReMark, i can show them and try to get the mess sorted where changes can be affected.

Im thinking the units are to blame not the scale.

I have seen the height it is slightly out. Try to sort that out as well, just that im struggling with the snaps. It doesn't want to snap correctly and might be because of the axis of the line to the bending plate are different?

This will mean that our library unit factor is incorrect and also check the block unit its in inches must be metric.

Who is in charge of the library? I would suggest you pull random blocks and check them for anomalies (ex. - geometry with a "Z" other than "0"). Maybe you can get a junior CAD tech or an intern to do this kind of drudge work?

Im experiencing these headaches due to the fact that others are doing the details roughly and i have to finish it off smoothly. As you show it out to me ReMark, i can show them and try to get the mess sorted where changes can be affected.

I'm sure there are inconsistencies you can live with for the time being but other more pronounced deviations from norm should be addressed in a timely manner.

BTW....you asked previously about the number of objects reported by the Overkill command. Did you know that your slab details appear to have been exploded at least once?

I can live with a few, but cant live with a whole project. Yes, i know about the slab details, I created the block and exploded it. That was for naming the details and keep everything together.

ThreadedScrew.JPG

Re: number of objects in drawing. Let's take this nicely detailed screw. We both know it should be inserted as a block. However, in the portion of the drawing you provided for download this screw is comprised of 143 separate objects. How many screws of this type might one find in a complete drawing? Ten? Twenty? Fifty? Now multiple that number times 143. Starts to add up. And I am willing to bet there are other types of screws in the same drawing that are comprised of lines and arcs and are not blocks at all. See what I am getting at? Honestly I am not trying to rip your drawing apart. There is room to make your drawings more efficient and easier to work with while reducing headaches for you and your coworkers.

Yes I understand, your right there. As i come across Countersunk screws i try to replace them with blocks, there is a quite allot. I don't mean it in a bad light, by saying to rip my drawing apart, you have to show me these things so that the drawing can be fixed.

Thank you once again ReMark.

I was not offended by your comment; I did want you to know however that I wasn't commenting just to be mean or spiteful. Everything is cool.

Edited by ReMark

Looks like I have missed a fair bit, I finished work and have just got home, I managed to flatten most of the drawing, off to the right in the rectangle are where most of your problems are, arcs drawn not parallel with the current UCS, as ReMark has been pointing out these come from the aluminium profile. It appears as though somebody has been exploding blocks at some point in the drawings history. I remember a similar problem you were having last year, is there someone in the office that is doing this, or maybe using a different program to do some of the work.

Anyway here is a link to the drawing all the arc's have been moved 20 000 units to the right if you want to shift them back, but I would look at redrawing those parts. The rest of it is all at Z=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg86jy16hjzcijs/FP019-ShpDwg-Zone%2003.dwg?dl=0

Hi Steven-g, no worries. Great that you came back.:) There are times that we explode an aluminium block to do a cut out. I had a look at your redrawn drawing. Those arch's are part of a bend aluminium plate.

With everything we talked about i start to realizing what could have been used as blocks.

I dug a bit deeper, it looks like the problem is starting with those blocks, are they in-house or do they come from an external source. Or it could be that at some point someone has edited the blocks and their UCS wasn't set to world. If you use a central block library it could be worth getting someone to check all the blocks.

Its in-house, mentioned that yesterday to the guy in charge, showing him ReMark's comment about the block that is out of proportion with the rest. Went to the block properties and found that the units are wrong.

I hope you can get is sorted :) . As you have seen it causes many sorts of different problems, not just the ballooning of file sizes.