Dimension formula

Dana W, I do think that you're onto something and it seems that it will work. Thank you for both tips.

In post #2, within a half hour of your initial post, I suggested that we needed a visual, and additional information. Among other things I suggested that this might be a good application for a dynamic block. " A dynamic block may be a good way to go too, but we need more information."

Most of the ideas of which I was thinking have already been addressed by other forum members, but I am sorry to see that 18 posts later, and contrary to your having said you would post a sample drawing, that has not been the case?

The only reason we have all responded is because we like to help people. :|

Please don't take offense, and help us to help you, by keeping up your end of the "supplying requested drawing" deal.

Edited by Dadgad

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steelcom

• Dadgad

• RobDraw

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My $0.05

stay out of the conversation.

The only reason we have all responded is because we like to help people

If you want help in the future I would avoid the first quote, I support the 2nd quote, like the others depending on how the true size panels are drawn there is probably a way to automate the drawing of the infill panels a 1/4" smaller on each edge doing mass lots in one go.

I'm trying to get the file to upload but there is a 1000 kb limit. I've pared the file down and it's still over 2 megs.

We really need very little, just a typical component and surrounds, not a huge model, with a couple of dimensions to show us how it has been done in the past.

No drawing sheet needed, purge it a couple times, or use the -PURGE (meaning the commandline purge including the hyphen at the commandline).

If you are having a hard time doing that, you could, as an interim measure post a screenshot of part of a drawing, until such a time as you can get a .dwg set up to upload.

Edited by Dadgad

I really do appreciate the help. Yes, our drawings do not utilize ACAD to it's fullest and I'm grateful for any input.

The layer partitions is the layer that I've been speaking about. Not sure if I did this correctly as I thought I'd simply insert a file.

Forum Drawing.dwg

It would be very easy to create a Dynamic Block to replace the Partition Multiline Style which you now use to draw your partitions, in locations where you need to maintain that 1/2" fitting factor. It might look like the one in the screenshot, which is just a rectangle of 3/4" thickness with 1/4" polylines in the middle of each end, they are on a non-printing layer. A simple STRETCH parameter/ action on both the dimension and the end point or points.

No doubt there are plenty of more clever ways to do it, but that is one simple approach. :|

DYNAMIC BLOCK LIKE THIS MAYBE.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

In post #2, within a half hour of your initial post, I suggested that we needed a visual, and additional information. Among other things I suggested that this might be a good application for a dynamic block. " A dynamic block may be a good way to go too, but we need more information."
Yes you did. It bore repeating. Or maybe even some sort of an array. I was going to draw a block and post it but then I got a toothache. It's a good thing I have too much time on my hands. Headed for the dentist. I'll let you all know how it comes out. :shock:

I wouldn't recommend the use of the Defpoints layer.

I agree whole heartedly ReMark, I absolutley never put anything there, it was pretty late and I was tired and knew it was set to not print.

I do suggest using a non printing layer, if the little tails offend.

I was tired enough I almost couldn't deal with any sort of response, but given that the .dwg had finally been posted, I felt honor bound to take a quick shot at it.

Dana I hope you feel better, look forward to seeing how you would handle this one, as you are handy with dynamic blocks, which I am not. :)

Ok my suggestion turned off all but 2 layers, partion and hallway, using a lisp my understanding is you want a panel within these areas, very simple bpoly will make a pline to this shape its then a matter of shrinking the corners by 1/4" and you have your panel. The user input would be isolate layers then pick pick pick you would just see panels appearing, you can do all sorts of smart things like dimensioning etc as part of this lisp routine.

Come to think of it offset last 1/4" towards pick point erase 1st bpoly and done.

Way easier than I thought, remember steelcom ask nicely in future.

(setvar "clayer" "0")
(while (/= (setq pt (getpoint "\npick centre <Cr>. to exit")) nil)
(command "bpoly" pt "")
(setq obj (entlast))
(command "offset" 2.5 obj pt "") ; change offset value
(command "erase" obj "")
)

I really want to try the lisp. You all are just so much more advanced than we are here. That's why I came to this forum. We've been drawing the same way for 25 years and just scratching the surface of ACAD and Revit's capabilities. As an aside, I'm not a draftsman by trade. I'm a construction manager who's been thrown into detailing the projects we draw and order materials for. I do know ACAD a bit as I'm a tinkerer at heart but was floored that our drafting department is generally just drawing lines without regard to accuracy and leaving our detailing department to use calculators to order and arrange the materials and installation correctly. I'm on the wrong page right now but I did notice one of the contributors was from Chuluota, FL. That's about 30-40 minutes away. I'm very interested in speaking to him/her about updating our drafting procedures.

Again, thank you all. As I'm learning most of the techniques you've mentioned, you'll see me around... and yes, I'll be nice.smilie.png

You've come to the right place. :)

Just so you know, that isn't a picture of Dana, but rather his dog Daisy,

and he is a highly regarded forum member, who toothache aside, would be a great person to talk to. :beer:

Didn't anyone else find that drawing hard to read? For me, it's hard to determine what is being dimensioned.

Rob, I too found it to be very confusing, and now that steelcom has supplied a bit more information, I feel more at ease concurring with your assessment,

without fear of offending, one who has come here looking for some help. :beer:

In an effort to squeeze the file down I probably removed too much info to accurately discern what we've drawn. Aside from that we are a company that specializes in self storage with installers and draftsmen that know the call-outs we're showing. I do understand the confusion given the generality of the drawing provided. Hats off to you all for the support and time given.