converting DWG to Pdf

jff189

Hi, Can anyone help me please...

I am trying to convert scale drawings I drew in Autocad lt 2005 into a PDF using acrobat pro. When I convert the drawings are tiny and not to scale. The being scale is critical as this for a planning application I am making to build my own house in the England. When I view the Pdf its tiny and printing does no change this.

Many thanks in advance of help.

Cheers

Damian

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• jff189

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post. Someone here will try their hand at printing it and get back to you. What scale did you have in mind? What size paper were you going to use?

BTW....I might have titled this thread "Plotting a drawing to PDF at scale." You are not converting the drawing.

yep that is what I have drawn just need to get it into a pdf using adobe acrobat and it be to scale when I print it or when the planning office try to print it.

I was able to create a PDF and print it that pretty much looks like the image I posted above.

The black background is A4 size. The magenta lines represent a paper space layout viewport and they sit literally over the limits to which AutoCAD will print without cutting anything off.

Try printing the attached PDF and tell me what happens.

Front Elevation-Layout1.pdf

I have the default set to milimeters but set up the original file in centimeters, I have tried playing with the units and perhaps this is why the file I sent is in milimeters. Robdraw If I copy and paste the drawings I have done into a new DWG which is set to 1:1 will it work or should I redraw the whole set of drawings again?

ReMark just printed it out now and yes it has worked to scale and everything I want, so grateful please tell me how you did it. Sorry for the delay got called way from the screen.

I explained it in post #12. What additional information do you require?

Is this all you are required to submit? No floor plan? No other elevations?

Why are there no dimensions shown?

I suggest that if you are going to be creating more drawings for this project that you stop and learn about the use of layers. Putting everything on layer "0" then overriding such things as color is not a good CAD practice.

Yes got the floor plans and all other elevations done dimensions are not required for planning hence the scale issues I was having, this was drawn in colour to give an idea of the finish, to assist the planner in making the decision. The site plans have no colour. The main issue was when I convert to PDF using acrobat the file changed please attached.

Front Elevation a.pdf

I have only used autocad to draw scale drawing which were then imported into a CNC router's software which then dictated the cutting order dept, and which tool, I sold the business a couple of years ago so yes learning as much as I can but I have very little knowledge but 2d drawings I thought where within my ability until i tried to print having exported/imported using adobe acrobat. I know that later versions of autocad have the ability to create pdfs direct but I don't.

I don't use Acrobat so I can't explain what is happening. I go through AutoCAD and select the DWG to PDF.pc3 option under the Printer/Plotter heading. The process converts the DWG to a PDF. I then open the PDF and print it. I don't have to make any adjustments. Unfortunately, as you state, AutoCAD 2005 does not have that option.

I am also printing from a layout and NOT from model space so that makes the process, in my opinion, easier to control as I can set the scale of my viewport and lock that scale in via the Display Locked option.

BTW....you should always draw everything in model space at FULL size no matter if it is the size of a paperclip or the size of Buckingham Palace. FULL size. One does NOT draw "to scale" as one would do manually on a drafting board.

Thanks for the tips, I will draw in model space at full size from now on and I will try using the layout for printing.

Thank you for your help, liking the "one" :)

Damian