New Forum Feedback

CADTutor

22 hours ago, CADTutor said:

Animated gifs would just add to the visual noise and so I have not enabled them. Sorry to be a killjoy :(

No problem it was just a suggestion.

Some fora allow them others don't, it's the site owners choice and we respect that.

• Like 2

I tell you what I am totally impressed by, the mobile experience. I'm sitting on a train, typing this on my phone and it doesn't feel odd or awkward. Never would have done that on the old forum.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CADTutor said:

I tell you what I am totally impressed by, the mobile experience. I'm sitting on a train, typing this on my phone and it doesn't feel odd or awkward. Never would have done that on the old forum.

I'm loving the mobile experience myself. It's actually inviting to read this forum on my phone now. I really wish my other forums would adopt this setup and drop vB. 

-TZ

I really like that the notification system detect when someone quote one of your messages. That is a very neat feature. I'd be curious to know if it still works for "manually generated quotes" and/or quoted from a subject we are not following anymore.

Feedback of the day: One thing that I feel is missing is the visual indicator that we had, indicating which threads we participated in. (copy paste of image directly is another really handy feature...) *jump back in time*
image.png.4873c2ca36fbf22fbb8deac9b543ae69.png 

Is this option still available?

46 minutes ago, Jef! said:

Feedback of the day: One thing that I feel is missing is the visual indicator that we had, indicating which threads we participated in.
image.png.4873c2ca36fbf22fbb8deac9b543ae69.png 

Is this option still available?

If you participated in a thread you will see a star next to the thread.

1 hour ago, Jef! said:

One thing that I feel is missing is the visual indicator that we had, indicating which threads we participated in.

See here:

Ah! So subtle I didn't notice the gray stars as I had a tab opened and read the topics before going to the main page. Thanks for the info (and sorry about asking) :)

On 8/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, f700es said:

I like a dark version as well. I have an add-on called "Dark Reader" in my browser and using it's default settings I get this.....

Screenshot_2.jpg

There is another forum I hang out on that has a very DARK theme about that dark, which is what I prefer.  However, when someone decides to actually use another font color than default, then chooses black, dark gray, or dark blue, I have to manually highlight all the text in the post to make it visible.  Have you run across this issue using stylebot?  Hopefully there is a way to avoid this condition in Cadtutor dark theme when it becomes available. 

As long as I am here, I may as well mention it, because I am thinking about it now, even though it probably has been brought up here since Monday.

I find the font contrast (boldness) on this current theme a good deal too low, in fact nearly transparent.  To me the text appears quite pale, and is difficult to read.  If it were layer fade control it is set on 25 at most. 

'Facebook like' (for lack of a better description) Emoji's? I don't care for them personally because they are too detailed, and difficult to interpret, and IMO there are way too many of them..

Having said all that, I do like the new software format quite a lot.  Thanks Cadtutor for all the work it takes to make this stuff happen.

I probably should have brought all the random complaints up in my own post rather than one I asked a question of f700es in.🤦‍♂️  <<  That's a facepalm, just in case there are others with my eyesight.  Good thing I have a 27" touch screen I can finger zoom.  Strange, but good the font actually appears BLACK when zoomed in, and still crystal clear.

Edited by Dana W

1 hour ago, Dana W said:

There is another forum I hang out on that has a very DARK theme about that dark, which is what I prefer.  However, when someone decides to actually use another font color than default, then chooses black, dark gray, or dark blue, I have to manually highlight all the text in the post to make it visible.  Have you run across this issue using stylebot?  Hopefully there is a way to avoid this condition in Cadtutor dark theme when it becomes available.

I've been using the Dark Reader add-on for the past few days and haven't come across anyone using dark font colors, but I can see how that could be an issue. The problem I have with Dark Reader is that it slows my browser down considerably. Pages take a long time to load. I just disabled it and now pages load instantly, so unfortunately it looks like I'm back to the default forum colors until the Cadtutor dark theme becomes available. ☹️

8 hours ago, Dana W said:

I find the font contrast (boldness) on this current theme a good deal too low, in fact nearly transparent.

Really, nearly transparent? Can you share a screen grab?

I have noticed that the text renders differently in different browsers but that's down to the browser render engine rather than the forum software. Here's what I found:

Firefox = boldest
Edge = medium
Chrome = lightest

6 hours ago, Cad64 said:

unfortunately it looks like I'm back to the default forum colors until the Cadtutor dark theme becomes available

I will certainly make new themes available but in the short term, the priority for me is to get everything working just how we want it. Once the forum configuration and functionality is sorted, I'll switch my attention to theming.

22 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

I haven't seen anything to adjust how many posts per page I can view.

Number of posts per page is a global setting for this software and I don't think there is a member override.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, CADTutor said:

Number of posts per page is a global setting for this software and I don't think there is a member override.

Ugh.... 

Well, I wanted to give that post a "Dislike" click, but that will reflect poorly on the author, when it's not the author's fault.

I just wanted to "dislike" the content, not the messenger. 

33 minutes ago, rkmcswain said:

Well, I wanted to give that post a "Dislike" click, but that will reflect poorly on the author, when it's not the author's fault.

I just wanted to "dislike" the content, not the messenger. 

This made me think about myself. If we had this "reaction bar" implemented ten years ago, I think I'd be the champion of dislikes haha. 

-TZ

• Funny 2

16 minutes ago, steven-g said:

Surely "like" or "dislike" etc. are aimed at the content, and not at the author

Well, the members reputation is based on that, so in order to show that we do not like the fact stated by a user we lower his reputation. Content vs content quality vs subject often cannot fit under the same thumb position imo, that is why I never felt compelled by any numeric voting system; it literally breaks my brain like div/0 style.
I'll vote David's comment by "confused"... :D

• Like 1