Thoughts on Penn Foster drafting with autocad

DME55

Hello everyone,

I am currently enrolled at Penn Foster for the Industrial Electronics and Electrical Maintenance associates degree. I have two AutoCAD classes for my last semester: I'm currently working on the AUTOCAD APPLICATIONS - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONICS class.   Does anyone have any background tutoring for this class? I can't even seem to understand what needs to be submitted for grading. 

Here's what I know needs to be submitted, but I can't figure out where to find the drawing/assignment prompts:

Chapter 3, Exercise1 - Wire numbers and wire types

Ch 4, Ex 2 - Basic Ladder Diagnosis 

Ch 5, Ex 1 - Ladder Diagnosis and Schematic 

Ch 6, Ex 1 - Schematic Editing

Ch 7, Ex 2 - Wiring Diagrams schematics 

Ch 8, Ex 2 - Panel Layouts

Ch 10, Ex 2 - PLCs 

Any help is appreciated. I've been in my maintenance field for 5 years and am completing this degree as a formality. I just need to pass.    😢

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, I started the Penn Foster AutoCAD courses last year in May. I most definitely learned a lot and the knowledge 
I gained from these courses helped me get a job at a shipyard in the engineering department. Since starting the courses and getting the job I have also started in person classes to further my knowledge on the shipbuilding side as well as pick up more tricks for the AutoCAD side. I will say I have learned more through the Penn Foster courses than I have in my in person classes. The only added benefit of in person classes is getting questions answered in real time. The only thing I dislike about the Penn Foster courses are the projects. I feel as if they don't provide sufficient instructions for you to be able to finish the project without outsourcing to these forums. I'm currently just trying to finish the last two projects so I can have the whole thing completed and get my certificate and I'm on the struggle bus. At work I'm in charge of training and handing out tasks to a team of 6 people while also completing my own tasks and checking over their work and that is easier than comprehending exactly what they want for these projects.

"I'm currently just trying to finish the last two projects so I can have the whole thing completed and get my certificate and I'm on the struggle bus." 

Which two projects are you referring to exactly?

On 7/10/2023 at 6:20 PM, squirrelbacon said:

Hello everyone,

I am currently enrolled at Penn Foster for the Industrial Electronics and Electrical Maintenance associates degree. I have two AutoCAD classes for my last semester: I'm currently working on the AUTOCAD APPLICATIONS - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONICS class.   Does anyone have any background tutoring for this class? I can't even seem to understand what needs to be submitted for grading. 

Here's what I know needs to be submitted, but I can't figure out where to find the drawing/assignment prompts:

Chapter 3, Exercise1 - Wire numbers and wire types

Ch 4, Ex 2 - Basic Ladder Diagnosis 

Ch 5, Ex 1 - Ladder Diagnosis and Schematic 

Ch 6, Ex 1 - Schematic Editing

Ch 7, Ex 2 - Wiring Diagrams schematics 

Ch 8, Ex 2 - Panel Layouts

Ch 10, Ex 2 - PLCs 

Any help is appreciated. I've been in my maintenance field for 5 years and am completing this degree as a formality. I just need to pass.    😢

You should have received a PDF with the project instructions.

Ok, so now that I have screwed up and took the Penn Foster Drafting and Design with AutoCAD online class and have gotten 70% of the way through it with a 94% avg. , how do I get through the last 30%. Any advice would be appreciated, as these instructions are so difficult to follow. 

3 hours ago, DNeil said:

Ok, so now that I have screwed up and took the Penn Foster Drafting and Design with AutoCAD online class and have gotten 70% of the way through it with a 94% avg. , how do I get through the last 30%. Any advice would be appreciated, as these instructions are so difficult to follow. 

It might help if you give a few more details about what you are hiving trouble with.

There is a post here about Penn foster and it has a massive amount of help.

Student Project Questions - AutoCAD Forums (cadtutor.net)

Edited by BIGAL

Are you talking about the Electrical/Electronics project?  If so, please attach a copy of the PDF you were sent by Penn-Foster.  Mine may be outdated.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Alyssa88 said:

How long does the Penn Foster program take everyone? How much of my time should be dedicated to this a week? A day? 

It depends on the individual student.  How motivated are you?  How quickly do you learn new subject material?  How much time can you devote to your studies?  I would say a motivated student should be able to comfortably complete all assignments in 3 to 6 months.