Looking for "budget" AutoCAD alternative.

Amaril

I wish you had stated your intended purpose however as there is more to it than meets the eye.

I collect alternatives. Alternatives to anything, nothing else. With my search-engine I try help people to find the alternatives easier. It is still young but is growing. It is always difficult not to come out as a spammer talking about new unique thing though.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• JCADEnthusiast

But you need to know and understand what you're talking about if you're going to provide a service like this. As was stated before, some of your alternatives were actually the same thing, and some alternatives are not alternatives at all. Like listing Autodesk as an alternative to Autocad? Autodesk is the company that makes Autocad.

But you need to know and understand what you're talking about if you're going to provide a service like this. As was stated before, some of your alternatives were actually the same thing, and some alternatives are not alternatives at all. Like listing Autodesk as an alternative to Autocad? Autodesk is the company that makes Autocad.

you are right, however I can't do this for million items I have already :)

I just came here to find a better answer to one of hot search queries I get. Looks like people are not that happy having no obvious alternatives to "Autocad LT".

you are right, however I can't do this for million items I have already :)

I just came here to find a better answer to one of hot search queries I get. Looks like people are not that happy having no obvious alternatives to "Autocad LT".

It would have been different had you presented yourself better and actually requested legitimate info for yourself. This message board has plenty of helpful willing people. :)

• 3 months later...

you should look into getting "solidedge 2d free" just Google it. I played a while back and it was pretty good. it's from Siemens. They own SolidEdge 3D and UGS. and as the name indicate it is absolutely free.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Checkout Carlson Software. For those of you that like Intellicad, it now comes with one of the Carlson versions. Very powerful packages that will allow you to do all that you need and MUCH less expensive than AutoCad.

• 4 months later...

Don't laugh, but Google SketchUp is slowly getting better and better.

I wouldn't recommend it for commercial use, but I used it to lay out my 3rd floor renovation for my city permit paperwork (drawings were required)

• 3 weeks later...

i just bought 1 seat of a autocad alternative (CMS intellicad - pro version) by just US$175 from a hong kong reseller! it is now used for my home use & freelance projects. It is very like Autocad, with 3d solids, rendering & script support. Most importantly to me, it can open & save different versions of autocad files!

i just bought 1 seat of a autocad alternative (CMS intellicad - pro version) by just US$175 from a hong kong reseller! it is now used for my home use & freelance projects. It is very like Autocad, with 3d solids, rendering & script support. Most importantly to me, it can open & save different versions of autocad files!

that's pretty cheap. It's not gonna be polished like AutoCAD. I imagine the support wont be great. but for simple stuff, it's more than enough.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I might know a CAD which suits your needs: JCAD tabula.

It is very similar to AutoCAD LT.

>1. Compatable with Windows Vista.

Yes

>2. Compatable with AutoCAD dwg files. (Must be able to open and modify these files. Having to convert them into another format is fine, so long as the software includes the tools to do that.)

Can import and export AutoCAD dwg-files.

>3. Have a robust 2D drafting toolset, comparable/similar to AutoCAD LT.

Yes

>4. Have architectural notation tools, comparable/similar to AutoCAD LT.

Yes

>5. Basically have what it takes to draw up sets of construction documents for home renovation projects. Nothing fancier than that.

JCAD tabula contains also some architectural symbol-libraries, which include door, windows and such, so it might be just what you are looking for.

Free 7-day trial can be downloaded from our webstore.

Three month license is about $150

Give it a go and let me know what you think.

And just to be open about this; I work as a system designer at Jidea -company which has developed and sells JCAD tabula.

JCAD tabula? Never heard of it. I've also read a lot of claims that a program can read and write to the dwg file format and most turn out to be slightly less than true. There always seems to be some issues.

So what does this wonder program actually cost to buy outright?

And where in the world does the program originate from?

Heh, it's no wonder that you haven't heard of it, because it was released just a couple of months ago and it is our first CAD software that has been translated to english. Jidea has developed CAD software for 25 years, but they all have been only in finnish -language.

You don't have to take my word on how DWG reading and writing works in tabula, you can try it yourself by downloading a trial. It's fully working version.

At the moment we are only selling 3 month licences. I'd like to have more different length licences, but unfortunately it's not my call :(

This program comes from Finland. Company is called Jidea and as I said earlier, it has developed CAD software for 25 years but before only in Finnish.

These were good questions. If you have more, I'd be happy to answer them.

$150 for 3 months?? Seems a bit steep to me for a 2D CAD package (well not to LT but there are others out there as well). Is the inclusion of M-color driving this price? Looks OK but I would have like to see a video of the actual product being used. I might download the demo and give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Sean

As I mentioned before, I'm on the R&D side of the company and not much related to marketing side so I don't really know how much inclusion of M-color drives the price.

There is an advertising video of JCAD tabula at Youtube, but it doesn't show much actual use. Trial version contains a tutorial video, which shows what you can do with tabula and how it is used. Video can be found from tabula's help: Help -> Online -> Instruction Video

Sean: If you give demo a try, please let me know what you think of it. I'll have to download this DoubleCAD XT and test it, thanks.