does cad 2009 constant freeze up on you????

MikeP

Two other possibilities are network problems or AutoCAD is looking for files that are no longer there. How do you structure your project files? Have you made any recent changes that might coincide with AutoCAD freezing?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• johnpierpoint

• Cad64

• MikeP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tricky. . . Our VScan is auto-updated by group policies, so like a comic book villain, it keeps coming back! Although I'm the local IT support bod, I don't have access to this (just a minion. . .). My recollection of trying something like this before is that the McAfee processes just re-spawn.

However, it's certainly worth trying. Although we've had VScan on all our PCs for a long time, the product changes quite often, so it could cause all manner of odd behaviour.

Maybe I can temporarily disable it for long enough to test.

Our CAD guys think it's a general network problem, but I'm certain it isn't. The fact that no other users are affected seems to back me up.

No idea about how our projects are set up, but as it happens to all users simultaneously I suspect it's nothing to do with file organisation. All files are stored on a single server which is on the local subnet and all switches are unmanaged, so there are no routers or switches that might be interfering with any QOS rules. It happens even when no commands are being used - just when moving the cursor - so there should be no traffic between application and server at that point.

No recent changes to my knowledge. Although we have automatic MS and VScan updates. Our MS updates are vetted by our parent company's IT team before being rolled out (we don't get them direct from MS), but of course they can't possibly test every MS update with every application.

As it also happens with a newly-installed copy of ACAD2009, I know it's not due to any ACAD updates or patches.

I think a system restore or wipe and re-image is the only way forward. .

A problem specific only to AutoCAD users despite everyone being on the same network. I hear you. It still does not rule out a conflict with McAfee though.

I know what you mean about being a minion when it comes to anti-virus programs and the local IT department. We have the same situation here. The only way to temporarily disable TrendMicro is to have someone from IT come down and do it with a "secret" password. However, once the computer is rebooted, there it is again. Several years ago we actually had the ability to temporarily shut down our virus scanning software (McAfee Viruscan) without having to resort to calling IT. When I had problems "pushing" a 3D drawing around I would routinely do this just to gain the extra memory. IT put a stop to that eventually.

Gad! A system restore or wipe for each CAD station? The horror. The horror. What a monumental waste of time and resources. And they call this progress? Makes me want to pick up a mechanical pencil, some vellum and a couple of triangles!

Hahaha! We still have a drawing board here somewhere, come to think of it. . .

Yes, AV software is one of the biggest memory hogs going! What annoys me is that Task manager routinely shows things like Outlook and IE using lots more RAM than ACAD.

Someone ought to start up a competition where software houses compete to produce the smallest/fastest code for a variety of standard application types (OS, web browser, mail client, AV, Word processor etc.). That would encourage them to stop churning out bloatware and we could free up our processors.

Luckily we have images for most of our Dell boxes, but you're right: doing a whole CAD department is not going to be fun! The worst thing is that even after being installed with an admin account, most applications these days also need to be "installed" (i.e. runs installation process again) for every user that logs on, so I have to get the user to log on and run everything at least once to kick it off. MSOffice, IE7, Winzip, Acrobat reader, DWG and DWF viewers. . .

That's one hell of a time-waster. . .

I was just over at the blog Between The Lines and noticed a reference to Service Pack 3 for AutoCAD 2009. So I made a quick hop over to AutoDesk and sure enough there it was. Release date of May 11th,2009. Here's the link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13271527&linkID=9240618

Might be worth trying before you commit to a major wipeout and restore.

ReMark,

Thanks for the suggestions. No luck with the ACAD2009SP3. Have now disabled the McAfee services on that PC as a test. No problems since then - but neither have there been any problems on any other CAD station since. . .

It can go for hours without happening though, so this means nothing.

I also realised the HASP licence dongle driver service was still on this PC, so have disabled that too. However one CAD user who has never had the HASP software on his PC also reports a problem, so I don't expect that to help.

Next stop: a system restore!

If only. . .

No, it seems to occur in patches, but not necessarily the same times every day. I'll ask our CAD staff to make a note of the times though in case a pattern emerges.

I've also started to wonder if there isn't some damn fool out there using BBC iplayer or something similar. I've heard that this can totally stuff a corporate network (but then: why are only the CAD guys having a problem. . .). We do have audit software running here, but as a mere minion I've had no training in how to use that yet. Shame. . .

• 3 years later...

I am having the same issue that Autcad Freezes/Pauses for a a few seconds every minute. I have a laptop that when I am connected at work to the network, everything runs great. But when I take the laptop home, it pauses/freezes every minute for a few seconds. I did notice that once I am at home and disconect the internet cable and/or wireless the problem disappears. I do need to keep the interent plugged in since it is a borrowed license. After it fully boots up I have to disconect the internet. This problems just started recently and has never happened at home before. I have done nothing with either my autocad and/or internet settings at home to cause the issue. Any suggestions?

Try getting away from 2009! It's very unstable! I've been using 2010 since it was released and it's working great with my 64 bit desktop. I have had this issue recently though. I found that I needed to purge the drawings. I had a lot of layers that were not necessary. It takes a lot of memory to process all of the layers. After purging, problem went a way.:)

I don't believe that I hae that option installed. From what I found is that you go through the start menu and look for CAD Manager Control Utility, which is not installed.

Well if you are stuck with 2009, that sucks. Here is the help I got reasently:

On update operations in AutoCAD or when working with layers, AutoCAD displays "Scanning the Drawing" (DE: "Suche in Zeichnung") in the statusbar. The progressbar may run several seconds or even minutes.

This message indicates a large number of internal drawing tables. You probably have a large number of layers (hundreds, thousands) or layer filters. AutoCAD has to process these tables to update the display of the non-modal Layer Manager dialog.

You can make this processing faster by disabling indication of used (non-empty) layers in the Layer Manager. Use the Settings icon (wrench) and uncheck the option "Indicate layers in use". Or reset the SHOWLAYERUSAGE variable.

We also recommend to use PURGE to delete unnecessary layers (and other drawing tables) and to use FILTERS

So you are saying that you know for a fact that the communications center has been permanently disabled?

One correction. I should have referred to it as the InfoCenter not the CommCenter.

For anyone that is interested in disabling the InfoCenter click on the link below.

http://otb.manusoft.com/2010/11/disable-autocad-infocenter.htm

Edited by ReMark