CAD + SU + Image Ready = AWESOME!

bbankston

Yeh, i dont think it is, though i think the trial is something daft like 6 months. It uses Python code, but it's really simple, like 2 lines of code. A game engine would do somethign similar, although more complicated and you usually have to make do with running around your visulisation with an Uzi and baraclava.

I'm in two minds over sketchup. It runs extremely slow if you draw anything slightly complex or large, lots of textures or medium size cad drawings. It runs like a pig on a Uni machine, work machine and even my beast of a machine at home. Was designed for very small object drawings and google earth i think. Though would be interested to hear from anyone who has drawn anything larger than a room or object. Though i'm considering learning the pandora's box that is 3DS Max.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbankston

• f700es

• Zorba

• NBC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice detail on rails/panels.

I'm talking more on a larger scale, like this floor plan of my office. Based on a cad drawing and textured. Even wireframe though is sluggish, i just don't think it was designed for such scale.:

CorusOff.jpg

I was planning to do all 26 floors in the block like that above though lol, i may have to rethink that. However, outside of sketchup, the model would be fine, so my home PC might just handle that before i export it.

By the way, for a good free renderer, Kerkythea is a good one for sketchup, though i haven't really played around with it.

Is it just me then who thinks Sketchup is utter pants in a professional environment (and has been mis-spelt !) ?

All the outputs I have ever seen from it look like a kid drew them.

Is it just me then who thinks Sketchup is utter pants in a professional environment (and has been mis-spelt !) ?

All the outputs I have ever seen from it look like a kid drew them.

Then you haven't really looked at good SU work then.

Simply look at Boo's SU work to see what can be done ;)

http://cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34495

I haven't had any complaints so far. In fact all the clients who have seen the 3-D models of their projects have been quite impressed. It's free, NBC, what more do you want? You can make them much more professional looking if you use Kerkythea or any other rendering program.

Agreed. You gotta remember, models in 3DS max (architectural wise) are just the same. It's only after they are rendered that they look realistic, and you can do just that with renderers with Sketchup drawings and make stuff comparible to pro stuff.

For buildings, etc, sketchup does the job and you don't need a degree to manipulate a box.

Nope, I'm still not convinced.

However, I can see I would be preaching to the converted, and resistance in this instance is futile.

I will never use Sketchup in a million years. End of. Simples.

Nope, I'm still not convinced.

These were created in SketchUp by Silvershadow and posted on the Sketchucation Forum.

But like you said, I am preaching to the already un-convinced.

What is the saying...?

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Anyway, here is what Jacques had to say about these works.

I wanted to create a high poly model 100% build in sketchup and see if its possible to show to everyone sketchup is not a program to think light off.

If you want to see more just search "Eye Candy" in the Gallery. The renderings of these are fantastic.

12.jpg

32.jpg

29.jpg

Oh well, fine then. I will continue to use it. Just another tool in my tool belt to me. To each their own.

i think f7 is right, the more "tools" you have access and knowledge in, the better chances you are at being "employable" which is a big thing with the GES everyone is going thru at the moment.

i need to spend some time to work out the right "workflow" with acad and SU as i like how SU can give you quick image outputs.

My apologies if it seemed I was flaming you; this is not the case.

I just thought I would post up a few more images in case you wanted to be convinced ;)

Cheers.

It's not a question of being right or wrong.

Cool, let's all flame the person we don't agree with :)

No flame here, everyones entitled to their own opinion.

i agree with your train of thought. i have the same thinking with Photoshop.

i prefer coredraw over photoshop, but others would think i am strange :?

they are probably right. :D

It's not a question of being right or wrong.

Cool, let's all flame the person we don't agree with :)

Well I don't recall anyone saying that you "were" wrong. So no need to victimize yourself. You posted your opinion and so did others. Some just chose to give examples of how "they" felt. So it's all good :D

Difference is good.