CAD + SU + Image Ready = AWESOME!

bbankston

I struggle to comprehend how those models were created in SU's modest modelling tools, unless each tiny part was painstakingly carved, cut, extruded, over and over.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbankston

• f700es

• Zorba

• NBC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I struggle to comprehend how those models were created in SU's modest modelling tools, unless each tiny part was painstakingly carved, cut, extruded, over and over.

SU's power is the same as AutoCAD's, user customizations.

There also tends to be a smugness towards SU as a viable tool in the design process. Much like AutoCAD's abilities are seen in the Apple/Mac design field.

Ahh, i didn't know it could be customized to that extent. The ease at which you can create visualisations, fact, it wee's over everything else. If someone can give me a viable reason why i should have to go through several options just to create a crappy object like in 3DS Max, which can be done within 10 secs in SU...well they can't. For fancy stuff, characters, details, etc, yeh i wouldn't touch it, but for building services, it's cracking.

I think it's name doesn't help, nor the brand really. If it was called "Autodesk 3DS Zero" and had a more techy UI, i bet people wouldn't have the same attitude, because i know i snubbed it, as did 3D design doctorates i know, but know appreciate it's cleverness.

Yes, it is not Max, Maya, C4D or XSI nor was it meant to be. It does what it was meant to do. Is it perfect? Far from it.

Would I use it for a full set of construction documents? No way but it does rock for making a design look good ;)

I did some more work on my office model yesterday. The way sketchup makes the models froma technicial point of view is a bit annoying, which you discover when you import them into a renderer or 3DS Max. It draws faces onto faces,etc, looks a right mess. But, exporting it properly in 3ds format, and its ace. Thats the best way i think, sketchup does donkey work, max does rest.

• 2 weeks later...

It's looks easier than the rotating door but it was actually more complex. Weird, right?

Animation_small.gif