Strange Things Are Afoot - Help!

ILoveMadoka

If that's what you expect is at the root of the problem then I'd recommend you refrain from doing it. You'll have to find a workaround.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ILoveMadoka

• JD Mather

• ReMark

• Jimmy111

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.... So I was wondering if anyone knows what causes this. ....

As I indicated in this thread - from my experience the root of the problem is having solidhist turned on.

While this allows your to edit features more easily - multiple posts on this problem shows that experience indicates that somehow the base solids are recovered when that is not the users intention.

We turn it off in our template and never see this problem.

Interestingly, Autodesk Inventor is feature history based, yet I have never seen this problem in Inventor and in Inventor I can easily fix an AutoCAD file that exhibits this behavior.

Interestingly, Autodesk Inventor is feature history based, yet I have never seen this problem in Inventor and in Inventor I can easily fix an AutoCAD file that exhibits this behavior.
That's great, JD! So, what's the method one needs to use to easily fix an AutoCAD file like this?

Here's a few ideas (and they're just ideas because I'm on a much older version of AutoCAD).

1) try saving it to an older version

2) save it out to dxf then open new and dxfin

3) save to step, or iges (whatever recent AutoCAD releases allow you to, then import into a new drawing.

4) any other formats that will retain the solids but not the history.

BREP does nothing. I use that all the time to delete history from finished models. But once the model has mutated it does nothing.

Saving the model to step or any othor other format leaves it un editable as a solid. So for my purposes is useless.

I have this problem very infrequently and generally I save all modifications step by step. But it would be nice to know what causes this and if anyone ever came up with a way to fix the problem. Not just repair the damage.

If you can, post the solid when you come across another of these anomalies. I'd like to look at it with some programming tools that are not exposed to the drawing editor. Specifically, the BoundaryRepresentation API shown below.

Brep.jpg

Edited by SEANT