Model Maker

clwsr

Can anyone please help me?

I import a picture and ajust the size so I can print a selection of it to fit into a pre determined pie shape.

How can I get rid of the rest of the picture?

I need to trim the excess off so I can place six shapes together to form a circle containing six photos to print.

This is my first time here.

Thanks,

Have a Great Day!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• clwsr

• Organic

• shift1313

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the CADTutor forum clwsr.

I think Modify > Clip > Image > New (boundary) > Polygonal would work if it were a normal three sided triangle (all sides being straight). But you're working with a curved edge for one of the three sides. That might be a problem. Can you clip the image outside of AutoCAD then bring it in and resize it to fit?

I was able to clip an image in full AutoCAD (2009). I cannot speak for LT 2000. I was also able to open a jpg in MS Paint, draw a pie shape across it and then erase everything outside of the pie shape. MS Paint is included with Windows. Do you have any other type of graphics program loaded on your computer that you could possibly use?

Thanks, this is my first time. I can live with a straight line on all three sides. I just don't know how to move triangle with pic in it as one item.

Are you an AutoCAD newbie as well? Try the Move command using a crossing window as your selection method. You should be able to move both the clipped image and the pie shape together as a unit. I hope your pie shape is one continuous polyline. It is isn't it?

By the looks of the above you aren't asking a question you're stating a fact. Do you mean to tell us you do not know how to do this as well? What size paper are you printing to?

I'm printing to 8.5 X 11 letter paper.

I drew the right size then placed it over image. I just can't wind up with trimmed pie shape with photo.

Will you be printing from model space or paper space?

I suggest that you consider printing on ledger size paper (11x17) as the 8.3 diameter circle (we are talking inches right?) would come so close to the edge of the paper it might be clipped off.

Printing from model space:

Plot scale should be set to 1:1.

Check off Center the plot.

Under What to plot I would select the "Window" option and get as tight as you can to the O.D. of the circle.

Use the Preview button to verify before sending the image to the printer.

By the way, I was able to duplicate what you are attempting thus the above recommendations.

Good luck.

What is this for? It doesnt really sound like an autocad project to me. What are these pictures? are you using .jpeg pictures?

This to me sounds like MS Word art or something besides cad.

If i were going to try what I think you are asking, i would draw all the pie pieces as solids and apply a material to each using mapping.

If you can give us a little more info on what you are doing, what you are hoping to get and why maybe we can help you.

letter paper just makes it without boarder. So your saying you can do this six times and then plot one time to wind up with a Family of six in the circle?

I plotted just one time. Had I used six different images I would have brought them all into one AutoCAD drawing and clipped them as needed. Then I would have assembled the six pieces into one circle and plotted it. Are you following what I'm saying?

We've covered how to clip the image using a pie shape. We've covered how to move the image along with its pie shape. We've covered how to print from model space. I'm not sure there is anything else I can tell you. Honestly. If I am leaving something out please let me know. I've duplicated your task and told you how to do it yourself. The proof is in the image I've provided. All I can say at this point is to slowly retrace your steps and see where you went astray.

"I am having troublr clipping."

Perhaps then you are using the wrong software for the task at hand. Maybe a program like PaintShop Pro would be better.

There is little more I can add to this discussion. Unless you have a new question my work here is done for the moment.

In essence, when you define your clipping boundary, no matter the shape of your raster image (in this case it is rectangular) you are tracing the extents of your pie slice.