Thoughts on dual monitor setup

Currahee

Microstation relys more on the pallette type dialogs, and its so annoying to have to close down a pallette to reopen it again a short while later.

Also in Microstation I tend to use the toolbars more than in AutoCAD, so they are docked on the second monitor. Before we upgraded to 2009 I had my toolbars the same in AutoCAD as I did in Microstation, so it was very easy for me to swap between the two programs.

I've been told by our IT dept that all computers are being standardised, whether you use cad, view cad drawings, or just do admin they're all going to be set up the same :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Currahee

• The Buzzard

• Patrick Hughes

• Jack_O'neill

I have only had a dual monitor setup for about a year now, and I really enjoy it. I keep my toolbars inside the Cad program, but place my palettes where the monitors are split, they are minimized and open in opposite directions to save space, and for the other monitor I keep the E-mail and Instant Messaging service open. I like putting Cad in the secondary monitor, because all of my windows open in the primary monitor so I never have to move them. The start bar is typically minimized, but I lifted it up for the picture. I also keep the calculator open in the bottom right corner for quick calculations.

Monitor Setup.jpg

I have only had a dual monitor setup for about a year now, and I really enjoy it. I keep my toolbars inside the Cad program, but place my palettes where the monitors are split, they are minimized and open in opposite directions to save space, and for the other monitor I keep the E-mail and Instant Messaging service open. I like putting Cad in the secondary monitor, because all of my windows open in the primary monitor so I never have to move them. The start bar is typically minimized, but I lifted it up for the picture. I also keep the calculator open in the bottom right corner for quick calculations.

Yes..I didnt even think about it ...now I can leave my style manager, display manager, project navigator, project browser, catalogs ....etc., all open now!! This is going to save a lot of time.

I've been told by our IT dept that all computers are being standardised, whether you use cad, view cad drawings, or just do admin they're all going to be set up the same :(

How can they say a machine for CAD and a machine for editing word documents be the same??????

How can they say a machine for CAD and a machine for editing word documents be the same??????

Agreed...There's a phrase that comes to mind for companies adopting this way of thinking...

Death throes.

Typical modern corporation mindset. Got people making decisions about things they know nothing about and will not have a clue why the company ceases to operate because of their stupid decisions.

Typical modern corporation mindset. Got people making decisions about things they know nothing about and will not have a clue why the company ceases to operate because of their stupid decisions.

Just like city dudes trying to tell them good ole boys in NASCAR how to race...I hate that.

Why stop at two. Here is three and planning a fourth.

You can get alot done this way.

The Buzzard

Alright show off..LOL:love:

My current graphics card will accept upto 4 monitors. I got the correct drivers to use and set it up under Display Properties in control panel. As of now two of them are Dell 20" flat screens and one ViewSonic 20" E790B CRT monitor. I plan two replace the CRT with another Dell 20" flat screen plus an additional flat screen. The setup is great especially when you do cuts & paste from one document to another. I also run two different versions of AutoCAD at the same time with Internet Explorer also open. This is great if you do alot of lisp routines and you need to test them.

My current graphics card will accept upto 4 monitors.

I got a buddy thats a day trader, and he uses 6 monitors. He's watching different markets on 4 of them, playing a game on the 5th and usually has some live, "adults only" feed on the sixth one (at least till his wife comes home).

I got a buddy thats a day trader' date=' and he uses 6 monitors. He's watching different markets on 4 of them, playing a game on the 5th and usually has some live, "adults only" feed on the sixth one (at least till his wife comes home).[/quote']

Now...that living...LOL

(at least till his wife comes home).

Just hope she doesn't come home early one day. LOL

• 4 months later...
by chance, is there anyway to span ACAD across 2 monitors maximed with dual viewports?

I know my video card gives me this capability but I havent used it...so I would have to go with the answer above

Great stuff! Dual monitors look great.

Never tried them but, thinking, "Why not?"

I do have a 36" LCD monitor that does picture in picture and/or picture by picture. I think I'll go play with it some.

Got me thinking!

Great stuff! Dual monitors look great.

Never tried them but, thinking, "Why not?"

I do have a 36" LCD monitor that does picture in picture and/or picture by picture. I think I'll go play with it some.

Got me thinking!

NOW thats an idea..LOL