• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vagulus

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do things an easier way just because the option is available? Me not know what me doing here (Cookie Monster).

I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt and surmise that he insists on creating a 2D isometric so later on when he does a 3D model and extracts the 2D isometric view he can physically compare the two and also have a feeling for just how long each method takes. Is that what this is all about Vargulus?

I don't know why he feels Inventor, if he were to use it, would somehow relegate him to the back seat while it somehow takes over the design process as the OP attempts to "invent". If he wants the freedom to do as he pleases I offered two alternatives. Both would suffice as free-form methods of design in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe that this thread started with the posting of a solution to an intricate problem in 2D Isometric Drafting. It has developed, somehow, into a drive to recruit advocates of Autodesk Inventor. As one with the (see The Emperor's New Clothes) temerity to question this drive I have been greeted with considerable distain and sarcasm. These are hardly useful as I try to reacquaint myself with the fundamentals of mechanical drafting.

As an aside, Vagulus is the masculine diminutive of the term for a wanderer - a wandering boy if you like. That's what I seem to be doing at the moment, wandering around in the dark while people keep pumping in the fog.

In an earlier post I asked some simple, basic questions about drawing packages in general. The theme was that we might have become seduced by digital wizardry, sold our birthright (control of what we are drawing) for a mess of pottage (pretty illustrations of artefacts). I asked,

"What if I want to do something out of the ordinary? What if I genuinely want to invent something? What if the artefact I wish to create has not been seen? What if I want to invent?"

Not one of the Inventophiles has seen fit to address my unease. No-one has assured me that Inventor is for inventors, not just for assemblers of standard artefacts.

I tend to take one step at a time. Since the Good Lord saw fit to give me two feet I do make progress. I just like to know a bit about the ground on which I put my feet.

I don't recall anyone pushing a particular software package, I saw a lot of people asking why you were using a horse to power a race car.

You seem to be pretty handy with this particular horse yourself. :)I have taken considerable heart from your demonstrations that the AutoCAD horse is not a dog!

As far as race cars go, I guess this lil' ol' country boy doesn't know much about these new-fangled o-to-mo-biles. They seem so loud and scary ah gits the trembles.

Perhaps it's not the machine so much but the loud and unsubstantiated insistence on taking a leap in the dark. I repeat, dark. There is a lot of heat around but not much in the way of light! My simple questions still lack response :unsure:! Expressions of incomprehension as to why I should ask do nothing to clarify the issue for me. Forgive me, but I didn't think the questions were that complex.

Normally I believe there is a time for 2D design and I time for 3D

This is a time when the old practise are completely irrelevant to today.

I was taught to do this at my collage and it was a complete waste of time because:

a) This only make sense if you wish to hand draw. (teach it in hand drawing classes not CAD classes)

b) we never where taught how to do it properly in 3D (for teaching me that I have you guys to thank)

That my rant for the day over. Thanks for reading

I saw a lot of people asking why you were using a horse to power a race car.

I enjoyed this :D

Normally I believe there is a time for 2D design and I time for 3D

Correct! There is a time for both, I do both myself... but what I don't do is draw 3D objects in 2D. The only things I draw in 2D right now are circuit schematics on ACE

To educate yourself re: AutoDesk Inventor find, download and read Lynn Allen's booklet "Making the Leap from AutoCAD to AutoDesk Inventor." Lynn clearly lays out the major difference between AutoCAD and Inventor by stating "AutoCAD is "geometry driven design"; AutoDesk Inventor is "dimension driven design". Inventor is nothing like AutoCAD. If you are in the business of manufacturing then you should be using Inventor (or Solidworks) not AutoCAD.

Have you even bothered to look at SketchUp as I previously suggested? Yes, you are a wanderer and you will continue to be until such time as you devote some effort to looking at the programs that are being suggested. Why do you think 30 day trials are offered? Download a program and experiment. You want to buy a new car but you don't want to stop at the showroom and take one for a test drive.

Another program to consider...Pro/Engineer. Used by some of the most technically advanced companies in the world to (wait for it now).........INVENT! What a freakin' concept! Correction, the name has been changed to Creo Elements/Pro.

You can get a free 45-day trial here...http://www.proengineer.com/

BTW...do you know what parametric modeling is?

Another program to consider is Solid Edge. Find it here...http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/monthly-subscriptions/free-trial.shtml?stc=usiia400139

Edited by ReMark

"CAD systems function by their capacity to codify geometrical concepts. Thus the design process using CAD involves transferring a designer's idea into a formal geometrical model."

Think about that for a moment. Until such time as artificial intelligence is built into MCAD programs they will never take over the design process which means the user is free to invent following his or her own path.

To educate yourself re: AutoDesk Inventor find, download and read Lynn Allen's booklet "Making the Leap from AutoCAD to AutoDesk Inventor."

I have downloaded the booklet and will read it before I go any further.

Thanks

Vagulus:

So what have you learner so far about Inventor or any of the other programs I mentioned as it concerns designing/inventing? Do you think Inventor or another program would be more suitable to the task you have assigned yourself? Update us.