• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Narmin_T

• qball

• SuperCAD

Top Posters In This Topic

Remark.....Your advice seems great but here they hardley give info as easy as that. Basically the wont give it ....unless you are professional body. anyway, I am not doing too bad with the parking.

Thanks a lot for the links again.

Two books you can consult:

Reinforced Concrete, Mechanics and Design, 4th ed., by James G. MacGregor and James K. Wight (check out the chapter on continuous beams and one way slabs) and Prestressed Concrete, A Fundamental Approach, 5th ed., by Edward G. Nawy (check out the chapter on flexural design of prestressed concrete elements). Both books have plenty of good details.

Cant use reinforced concrete for this proj as its not sustainable , cant be recycled you see, I have been told regarding my design and nature of the project to use cast in place (insitue) concrete on my floor system.

Have no problem for the facade as the cladding is glass (bolt fixed glazing or stick system)

• what partitions would you suggest for interior of the building ??? concerns are accoustic,fire rating,curved design,flexibility, and sustainablity obviuosley.

tanx

"...they hardley give info as easy as that." I would suggest that you tell the stuffed shirts that you are a registered student (which you can prove), provide them with some details about your assignment (show them the course syllabus) and also furnish them with your professor's name and a means by which they can contact him to verify the nature of your request. Don't let someone in a tie and dress shirt put you off. They are people, just like you, engaged in a civil servant's job. They work for you and anyone else who pays taxes. Don't take "no" as an answer. Be firm, be polite and most of all be brave. They don't really bite. Those big teeth are just for show. Think of it as developing yourself as a future architect.

To know what to detail, our instructor always told us to look at the plans and think which parts of the building wouldn't be built the way it should be just by looking at the plans. Then you know that area of the building needs to be detailed to make it clearer to the tradespeople.

Another way to pick which elements to detail, is to look at what could be "problem" junctions. For example where the brick veneer meets metal cladding. There needs to be some precautions taken to make the enveloppe waterproof.

About making your drawings look good.. I think a lot of it has to do with proper lineweight. I see a lot of different drawings and in my opinion its a big part of what makes a drawing clear or not.

A good resource for building "green" is eco-structure. It is available in magazine form and online as well. Visit http://eco-structure.com/ for futher information. Maybe you can incorporate a vegetative roof to offset the carbon footprint of the vehicles using the facility.

Just my opinion but the basement layout celling would have to support the weight of the 3 floors above it in a 3 story building. so changing the support structure to another alignment post/beam would only be possable if the engineering of the 1st floor could support the other 2. thinking the posts off set from the basement posts.

Cast in place columns from Garage to first floor.

Post-tensioned slab for first floor.

Wood or light gage framing above.

Done.

We now expect to see a finished image upon completion. Don't disappoint us. We've all worked hard on your problem. Thanks, in advance, for sharing. Good luck.

back again with questions....

I am really confused with curtain wall detailing....how exactly they connect with interior partitions???

the curtain walls are bolt fixed...by the way! frameless ...

back again with questions....

I am really confused with curtain wall detailing....how exactly they connect with interior partitions???

the curtain walls are bolt fixed...by the way! frameless ...

This structure seems way too difficult for someone with your level of education to be designing. The questions your asking have nothing to do with Autocad... Maybe you should be in a structural engineering forum. What level of education have you completed?? Sounds like this is your first design attempt (complicated building if this is your first). I have curtain wall details, but I think maybe you should have a chat with your prof. have him/her teach you how to solve some problems on your own. Good luck though

certainly sounds like the teacher is "throwing them in the deep end", or narmin spent all semester texting and not listening, and now it's crunch time. Interesting way to learn anyway.

Sorry, can't help you with curtain wall detailing as my line of work doesn't cover such things. I'll ask a friend and coworker of mine when I get back in the office Thursday morning (he has a Masters in Civil Engineering). Best I can do.