Autocad R12 disks are corrupt - can't install

steve klossing

Remark,Tankman and paulmcz thank you for the informatiom.

I have ordered a one gig ram chip.

Loaded the progam that paulmcz suggested.

Was alright but did not have 3D.

I draw in 3D so I can test fit,form,funtion and make a parts list.

Will post a ad form Ebay, both ads for R14 and 2000 are the same.

"This is Autodesk AutoCAD Architectural Desktop Release 1 with AutoCAD R14. This version of AutoCAD is just like the standard AutoCAD R14, plus also features additional tools and functions specially suited to architectural work. Comes complete in original box with serial number, installation guide, and user's guide for AutoCAD R14."

Did not see a reference to the CD number, will send email to find out.

Your suggestions I am sure will be helpful.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• steve klossing

• f700es

• paulmcz

When you email the seller tell him you know there has to be a CD key and a serial number in order for the software to run. Ask him to confirm that 1) he has both of these pieces of information and 2) tell you how many digits or characters there are in each one. Explain to him you are not asking for the actual numbers but that you are verifying key pieces of information that's all. If he is legit then this should be no problem. The example I provided previously re: serial number and CD key were right off my AC 2000 installation package. Good luck. Let us know what transpires.

As a bit of a computer dweeb I noticed you said the drive wants to format the disk, have you tried loading on another computer as well as updating you're drivers to make sure it isn't a drive error?

whitehaint:

Re: Floppy disks

5.25" floppy disks are coated with magnetic oxide particles. Over time exposing the disks to magnetic fields will cause them to lose data. Dust, dirt, extremes of heat or cold, even touching the surface with the finger (oils) will cause the disk to lose data. The computer is sensing that the disk needs formatting because it recognizes gaps in the stored data. With the proper equipment and a good deal of time there is a remote possibility the data that remains on the disk could be salvaged but this is not only an expensive endeavor but it is prone to failure just the same.

Re: Drive and drivers

We're talking about a 5.25" floppy drive. I doubt that "drivers" have anything to do with the failure of the drive to read the floppy. There is a chance that the drive itself may be faulty, or more-than-likely, dusty and this could be the problem. The only option here is to try the disk in another 5.25" drive and see what happens. Floppy disks aren't like CDs meaning you can't take a cloth to them and wipe away any contaminants.

Oh my, I didn't think it was that old to be on the large floppy disks! Thanks for getting my time periods straight.

whitehaint:

Re: Floppy disks

5.25" floppy disks are coated with magnetic oxide particles. Over time exposing the disks to magnetic fields will cause them to lose data. Dust, dirt, extremes of heat or cold, even touching the surface with the finger (oils) will cause the disk to lose data. The computer is sensing that the disk needs formatting because it recognizes gaps in the stored data. With the proper equipment and a good deal of time there is a remote possibility the data that remains on the disk could be salvaged but this is not only an expensive endeavor but it is prone to failure just the same.

Re: Drive and drivers

We're talking about a 5.25" floppy drive. I doubt that "drivers" have anything to do with the failure of the drive to read the floppy. There is a chance that the drive itself may be faulty, or more-than-likely, dusty and this could be the problem. The only option here is to try the disk in another 5.25" drive and see what happens. Floppy disks aren't like CDs meaning you can't take a cloth to them and wipe away any contaminants.

I used to have a set of these somewhere. I bet I threw them out :(

Steve just download and install DoubleCAD XT (for 2D) and Google SketchUp (for 3D). Both are free and will work just fine for what you want.

There is a plugin for SU 7.1 to import dwg files now.

f700es: You know you may be right. Although I have a demo disk for r12 in its original wrapper that is 5.25". I also have r9 and r11 on 5.25" floppies and LT 97 for Windows 3.1 on 3.5" floppies.

The disk are 3.5''.

Tried the remaining disk.

The drive read them with no problems.

The seller verified that R14 had CD key,waiting for verification of

use with windows or Dos.

There are two + days left on the bidding.

Any ideas of what should be me finial bid shuold be?

The package is on Ebay if you would care to look.

F700es will try your suggestion.

Let you know what I think.

A side note:

My wife told me that if I can not use autocad anymore,

that I can always go out to the shop and dust off my

drafting board.

I will not tell you what my first thought was, but I

will tell you what my next one was.

I remembered when autocad first came out, I thought the gods had smiled on me.

Now I could simply type in commands to draw and not have to spend

hours with penicl in hand.

And then this old timer told me something, I still remember to this day.

"If you stop seeing in your mind what you want to draw, but only see

what you have drawn, you will find yourself in trouble."

Just some food foor thought.

Release 14 will be Windows based not DOS.

Does the seller have the serial number? Very important detail not to be overlooked.

Went and checked out the eBay offering on R14.

Includes cd (original was damaged this is a copy) SN, CD Key, and Auth code.

I'm a bit concerned about the CD though. Will the seller stand behind the installation of the product? I see there is an authorization code. I vaguely remember that taking the place of the CD key if I recall correctly. Well at least that seems legit. I wonder if the bonus pack is the AC 2000 symbols library AutoDesk eventually stopped selling after 2000? Ask for some details although it probably doesn't matter to you.

I can see going to $150 no problem. Remember it came out in 1994 (15 years ago). The only reason to go higher on your bid would be to get a copy of AutoCAD you do not have to go online to have authorized. AutoDesk might not authorize it. I think over the Internet authorization was introduced after AutoCAD 2004.

The ad is titled "

AutoCAD R14 with Architectural Desktop Release 1

sell is powerstar 100

how do you know the disk is damaged ?

the ad states "Comes complete in original box with serial number, installation guide, and user's guide for AutoCAD R14. Please contact me with any questions."

please advise

note:

I have looked at the programs that you,F700e8 and Paulmcz have suggested.

A saying come to mind.

You can not teach an old dog new tricks

Sorry there Steve. Seems I found another listing.

You would be surprised the new tricks an old dog can learn we he has the assistance of his new found friends at CADTutor. But I do see your point. I'd say that as long as you are comfortable with the seller then go for it. Good luck on your bid, hope you get it. Please update us when all is said and done. Thanks.

Steve....

Used to be that the disks supplied when new were about 5-9 total. You only need to run about 5-7 to get basic Acad to operate, or if you choose full-boat load after inserting the first one, then you need all of them.

I do not run a full tub, and think I had troubles with disk number three. Ran basic M-S Scandisk on it, and it eliminated a few options, but the disk when inserted gave no more reported errors. On to next one then. Set up the monitor parameters etc. and was going again within the hour.

If you ever get it to run satisfactorily, then copy the whole thing to some drive as a back up. I copied and old version onto my laptop, then used it to re-load on to new hard drives. If your one bad disk gets loaded up anyway, it will copy the results through out all computer hard drives then. I found what was elinimated was a command that was essentially never used.

Wm.

R12_c4 DOS was the latest release c1 c2 and c3 were very unstable. c4 came on 3.5 disk only

R12_c4 Windows runs on XP. I think this was the only Windows release for 12.

R13_c4a was the only R13 worth trying the DOS and WIN releases were on a cd but you have to have the 1st 3.5 floppy to install it. I've not tried it on vista, but my guess is that it would run.

R14 ( 14.01 ) was the 1st Windows only. It will run on XP, I've never been able to make it run on vista. It was also the first CD only install.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=543852

R2K ( 2000 ) runs on Vista and was a CD only.

-David

IntelliCAD has 3D

It does have 3 D on my older 98 version and the original Beta also. I think had it for some time now. The 3D feature can only go as far Autodesk will announce and package up for sales on their version of Autocad.

Wm.