• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• gotchy

• f700es

• dbroada

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aspect ratios are not a function of your OS. They are controlled either manually via buttons on your monitor or via an onscreen program (referred to as OSD - Onscreen Display).

Do you have a flat panel or a CRT?

After looking up the definition of Aspect Ratio, I can see where it would be a function of a monitor, vs an OS, and I know it is adjustable on TV's, and monitors, however I am using a Dell notebook. I believe it should be automatically adjusted, so something is definetly wrong.

I know I must have installed this version of Autocad on at least 6 machines and I never ran into this problem.

With regards to the reply questioning my eyesight, let me say that it is fine, and that the ellipse problem is severe enough that it would most certainly cause noticeable drafting problems.

I thank you all for your response, I think I will forego trying to install this version and jump to v 2008.

gotchy

Do you have a wide screen LCD? My old boss at last job had a wide screen but used an older video card and did not update the drivers. I updated the drivers and SHAZAM! she had circles instead of elipses ;) You said Windows 7, is this a new PC or did you upgrade to Win7? If it is an upgrade can your video card handle wide screen resolutions? Some older, cheaper ones cannot.

Good luck :)

I think the distance command will confirm that the radius/diameter are correct. Trust kencaz and adjust your aspect ratio. By the way, screen resolution and aspect ratio are not one-in-the-same.

In the manual and in documentation they mention such, but the measuring aspect pertains mainly that the circle comes out and measures correctly upon the plotted paper. Has near zero (to them) to do with resolution on the video screen monitor.

As I remember, Autocad works in visual Units, not in actual measurements. And is thus hard to analyse. Had one fellow show me how at a certain ZOOM ratio, he could lay a three sided measuring stick up against the monitor, and say the distance from here to here is exactly....

I would show him on the plotter what it really looked like, at scale.

Wm.

just to add to this,

ive had this exact problem and it was the screen postioning/resoultion but i was running windows xp.

I think that originally Autocad was (correctly) aimed at giving the best representation of your work off the paper via the plotter. It was not aimed at the Intenet, nor the common SGVA monitor.

Which I why I mentioned their alternative. I think you can go overboard with scale ratios and adjustments though. Make it look appropriate, but as Mark mentioned, not an easy one to work out with other computers.

Wm.

Do you have a wide screen LCD? My old boss at last job had a wide screen but used an older video card and did not update the drivers. I updated the drivers and SHAZAM! she had circles instead of elipses ;) You said Windows 7, is this a new PC or did you upgrade to Win7? If it is an upgrade can your video card handle wide screen resolutions? Some older, cheaper ones cannot.

Good luck :)

I believe that's a BINGO. "can your video card handle wide screen resolutions"

good question. This is a 3 1/2 year old Dell Inspiron. When I purchased it I did order it with a video card one step higher than what was to come with it, but that probably was not enough. There may be more up to date drivers by now.

I can see that I really opened up a can of worms here, sorry for that and yet I am glad to have spurred up all the activity, we probably all learned something from this rats nest.

I will fool with the Display Properties though, Dr. Mather, thank you all again.

gotchy

What is your graphics card? Let's start there. Next download the latest drivers and see if that helps.

If it were a driver related problem why wouldn't the OP see it in both 2007 and 2008?

If it were a driver related problem why wouldn't the OP see it in both 2007 and 2008?

Not sure but since every thing has to come through the graphics card let's start there with the common thread. Should not take 5 minutes to check and update graphics driver so not a real time waster.

What is your graphics card? Let's start there. Next download the latest drivers and see if that helps.

Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor on a Dell Inspiron E-1705 for Win7

So it's a laptop. Well this would have been nice to know at the beginning :glare:

Well I would now not suspect the video card as that one runs wide-screen by default. Does this happen on the main display?

So it's a laptop. Well this would have been nice to know at the beginning :glare:

Well I would now not suspect the video card as that one runs wide-screen by default. Does this happen on the main display?

Yes it does. I am lost on this one. All three offered resolutions perform the same, which makes sense, as it would be a problem of ratio,and not resolution, but can't get the aspect ratio adjusted, and compatibility issues prevent newer version installs. There is no video adaptor driver for Win7 yet, Looks to me like this is a chalk up.

I do want to sincerely thank all of you for your effort.

gotchy

OK, maybe we are getting somewhere. So when you go to display properties you see what? Does it show the exact display adapter or what?

Yes this may be a Win7 driver issue. Did your IT department do the update, did they check to see that the machine's hardware would all work in Win7?