educational stamp

clicker

43st: Heck, most of the time I have no idea either! LOL

f700es: No problem. I took no offense. It was not my intention to redefine any CT policy. We're cool. :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• clicker

• 43st

• Jack_O'neill

Why are you requiring about r12 dxf file format? You don't really need to go back that far do you?

When did Autodesk start doing the the student versions? To get rid of the watermark, you have to go back far enough to get past support for the coding they put in to make it.

• 1 month later...

If you have recieved drawings with an educational stamp, contact the person responsible and tell them they need to provide you with proper drawings created with a legal version of Autocad, not a student version. If they refuse to comply, contact your Autocad reseller, or your Autodesk rep, and report them.

The educational version is for students, not working professionals.

If you suspect that drawings have the educational stamp on them, consider using EDU-scan from Manusoft or EDUSCAN from DotSoft to check the drawings before you open them as the education stamp can "infect" your AutoCAD product and spread to other drawings.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240617

It's not our job to enforce AutoDesk's EULA to our clients, nor to police them with regard to the use of educational products. AutoDesk's created this issue with the advent of the educational stamp virus. They can fix it if they want to, in the meantime we still need to complete the job we're paid to do.

If you have recieved drawings with an educational stamp, contact the person responsible and tell them they need to provide you with proper drawings created with a legal version of Autocad, not a student version. If they refuse to comply, contact your Autocad reseller, or your Autodesk rep, and report them.

The educational version is for students, not working professionals.

If you suspect that drawings have the educational stamp on them, consider using EDU-scan from Manusoft or EDUSCAN from DotSoft to check the drawings before you open them as the education stamp can "infect" your AutoCAD product and spread to other drawings.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240617

I have never used the Educational version of AutoCAD, not even when I was in school. That said, from what I have gathered from the related threads, even if you copy a block from the educational version, it will carry the plot stamp with it. So legally, there in, lies the problem.

Check this scenario and tell your opinion.

I am in school and learning AutoCAD product. We are learning Blocks and Dynamic Blocks. I am really smart and learn this very quickly, I am at the top of my class, I am creating dynamic blocks everyone, even long time CAD experts thought were impossible. Woohoo!

So, I graduate from school (Magna Cum Laude of course) and guess what, Autodesk is sole owner of my blocks and dynamic blocks!!! WRONG You had better check the laws on intellectual property Autodesk.

So, if true that using blocks from an educational version of AutoCAD are infected, then Autodesk (in my opinion) needs to check their legal right to include the plot stamp on my intellectual property.

There is a difference between keeping blocks, etc. you created at school and using an Educational version of AutoCAD for Commercial use (in my opinion) which is all the EULA covers.

I also do not feel like the moderators, should be deleting workaround suggestions. If Dave wants them deleted that is fine, I will delete everyone I see.

It is said that hindsight is 20-20, and looking back all this controversy over educational software might have been solved a different way. I am not a programmer, so I don't know how hard this would be to do but along with the educational watermark, if they could have the educational version make files with a different file extension, say .edg or .ewg or anything other than dwg, you'd know when you looked at it where it came from.

To address the issue of intellectual property, they could, upon completion or termination of the course, or at the end of the educational license or whatever point it ceases to be appropriate to use the educational stuff, then send you a "one time use" or "limited time" conversion program that makes your blocks, drawings, etc. into files usable by the commercial version. This could take many forms from an actual converter similar to trueview to an unlock code.

This of course could be hacked, but what they are doing has been. It would make it easier on the rest of us to know with out even opening the thing that it was from the educational stuff, thereby minimizing the potential to accidentally contaminate legitimate drawings with the educational stamp, while allowing the student to keep his intellectual property and transfer it to the commercial world when needed.

I didn't bother to wade through all of the "noise" in this thread.

But bottom line -

the software warns when opening an edu content file.

the students agreed to student license terms of use

there are now more than 2 million members of the student community and growing by more than 5,000 per week. New memberships growing exponentially - so expect more of the same.

We now have to have ethics classes in school. Why?

I didn't bother to wade through all of the "noise" in this thread.

But bottom line -

the software warns when opening an edu content file.

the students agreed to student license terms of use

there are now more than 2 million members of the student community and growing by more than 5,000 per week. New memberships growing exponentially - so expect more of the same.

We now have to have ethics classes in school. Why?

Criminals will always find a way around the system, no matter what the system is. They don't respect laws and agreements, that's why they are criminals. All you can do is make it hard for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Programming

oh wow it ranges from something as simple as readable english that has commands like @Event blah blah blah

to

// execute

#include

#include

using namespace solis;

furthermore... you used an autodesk educational product under the EULA, there fore if it says it belongs to autodesk, then it belongs to autodesk, although

you can redo all the work in a liscensed version of Autocad or the software used

though autodesk would not use it.

over view...

cant be used for commercial so i guess this is what you mean by it belongs to autodesk.

you agreed to the eula you follow it, or try to find a loop hole...