What is Instrumentation Draughting?

MisterJingles

Hi all

I hope 2011 has been good to you thus far.

I have a question Im slightly embarrassed to be asking, but could someone briefly explain what Instrumentation draughting is?

There is a possibility of moving in a different direction with regards to my job description and Im trying to figure out exactly what I'm opening myself up to.

So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• MisterJingles

• Dana W

• Jack_O'neill

Ok further investigation reveals that P&ID’s is the general term used in industry. It stands for process and instrumentation diagrams. It refers to flow diagrams and the instruments within the flow diagrams such as temperature sensors, valves etc.

So I have a better idea what Im dealing with.

If anyone has any useful input Id appreciate it otherwise thanks for listening :)

PP&ID - Process Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams. Sometimes referred to as P&IDs.

That's what I deal with on a day-to-day basis at the chemical manufacturing plant where I work. We make specialty chemicals used in paints, inks, greases, etc. In our plant we have several 3,000 gallon reactors where the products are formulated and each has to be documented. A P&ID will depict the major equipment (tanks, heat exchangers, filters, receivers, condensers, pumps, etc), all process piping (from storage tanks to reactors, from reactors to secondary storage tanks, etc.) and all auxilliary and utility piping (process water, steam/condensate, cooling water supply and return, etc.) and all manual/automated valves and instrumentation (level sensors, temperature indicators, pressure gauges, etc.). Drawings must show flow direction, pipe sizes, material and other process pertinent information. A simplified version of a P&ID is called a Process Flow Diagram (PFD).

Thanks ReMark. Are drawings regularly being changed or not? IE What are you kept busy with each day if not developing new processes? I mean if a plant is operating efficiently surely drawings need only be looked at when there is a problem?

Drawings are constantly being changed. All changes are generated in one of two ways at our plant either by ECNs or MOCs. ECN = Engineering Change Notice. MOC = Management of Change. ECNs cover modifications to systems that are significant. Maybe a new automated valve is installed and it is computer controlled. Or maybe a line that was stainless steel is going to be replaced with Hastelloy C2000 because of corrosion issues. It could be the addition of a polishing filter and all the new piping and valves that go with it or a change from using cooling water to chilled water. MOCs cover items of less importance. We could be removing expansion joints because they are deemed unsafe in the event of a fire or we could be swapping out a gate valve for a ball valve.

I forgot to mention that we are required to do a Process Hazards Analysis every 2 to 5 years on a few dozen different systems per the EPA and those reviews can generate upwards of a hundred different changes (many of them minor but a handful are major) to a process to make them safer.

When new products are being moved from the lab (R&D) to the pilot plant we have to scale them up. A P&ID has to be drawn and submitted with the project documentation before any construction begins.

When I'm not busy editing P&IDs I'm responsible for PFDs, process buildings/warehouse/tank farms/labs and office building layouts. There are P&IDs for the major utilities that have to be kept current. I also work on site plans, structural design (buildings, supports, platforms, dikes, retaining walls, etc.), environmental drawings for submittal to the DEP and EPA, pipe rack cross-sections, electrical schematics, interlock drawings, fire and safety (sprinkler and foam systems), fugitive emissions isometric piping drawings, and process block diagrams. All drawings must be kept up-to-date because the information is used by any number of people within the plant on a daily basis. When I'm not working on any of that I'm involved with the designing of a future expansion planned for a second site.

Thanks for that fantastic response. You have answered pretty much every single question I would've asked.

Oh except one, do you use the Autocad P&ID program or is the work all done on regular Autocad?

Nevermind, I guess not as funny as I thought.

Thanks a stack for your responses, exactly what I needed and more.

ReMark

Am I The Stig? No. Why?

MisterJingles

Remark is a cyborg, not a tame racing driver.

Hi ReMark,

I am impressed what you are doing.

I am doing a job reticulating pipes on wall in a workshop. The pipe sizes are from DN 25 ~ DN200. Fluid are compressed air, water, lub oils. I was wondering if there any standard I could follow to decide the span space between two pipe supports in the rack.

I also want to make a isometric piping drawings. Do you draw it in model space and real scale? My drawing most time not looks pretty.

Could you give me any clue?

Thanks in advance

Cean

We have a standard that is followed for pipe supports that was adopted some time ago. Any good piping handbook should have this information.

Yes, I draw my isometric piping drawings in model space. I also draw them in 3D. For our purposes schematics are not drawn to real scale since we mainly use these schematics for pipe inspections. However, when we do new projects or when we are making major modifications to piping we draw everything full size in 3D showing the correct pipe diameters, fittings, valves, and equipment.

Thanks a stack for your responses, exactly what I needed and more.

Don't worry. It is funny to us Top Gear fans and we who respect ReMark.:lol: ReMark is not wearing a helmet in that picture.

Top Gear? The Stig? Helmet?

If you are making fun of me just remember what my original mission was. I may have failed to stop John Connor from being born but I might not fail stopping you from being born. I'll be back!8):lol:

Top Gear? The Stig? Helmet?

If you are making fun of me just remember what my original mission was. I may have failed to stop John Connor from being born but I might not fail stopping you from being born. I'll be back!8):lol:

Top Gear - BBC America - A show highlighting VERY high end vehicles and their performance levels.

The Stig - The "Tamed" racing driver who tests the cars on the show, supposedly the best in the world. It is a running joke that nobody knows who he is since he never removes his racing gear.

In real life, The Stig is Michael Schumacher, world champion F1 driver.

Another definition of instrument drafting might be using t-square, mechanical pencil, triangles, compass.... .....run the other way - do not apply for this job.

Another definition of instrument drafting might be using t-square, mechanical pencil, triangles, compass.... .....run the other way - do not apply for this job.

Ah now JD...some monumental points in history were drawn in this manner...The Titanic, the Hindeburg, Tacoma Narrows Bridge (1940). All of these are famous!

=DanaW

Top Gear - BBC America - A show highlighting VERY high end vehicles and their performance levels.

If you've never seen this show, you've really missed out. It's one of the best shows on TV. If you like cars, you'll be hooked after one episode.

Ah now JD...some monumental points in history were drawn in this manner...The Titanic' date=' the Hindeburg, Tacoma Narrows Bridge (1940). All of these are famous!

If you've never seen this show, you've really missed out. It's one of the best shows on TV. If you like cars, you'll be hooked after one episode.[/quote']

Even though most episodes are as much as 7 years old.