Need Help choosing the cad for me

ptargent

i am a setting out engineer and i need to get Autocad but am confused on which one to buy! can you help me in chosing the right one. i need it to adjust drawings sent to me by designers and engineers and have to pull points of to put in csv file format.

Edited by ptargent

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• ptargent

• SLW210

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a setting out engineer and i need to get Autocad but am confused on which one to buy! can you help me in chosing the right one. i need it to adjust drawings sent to me by designers and engineers and have to pull points of to put in csv file format.

Welcome to the CADTutor forum. In the interest of keeping things nice and tidy it would be very helpful if you did not double post. It makes it more difficult to follow the discussion. Thanks.

Have you considered either Civil 3D 2011 or Map 3D 2011? It might be worth visiting the AutoDesk website and reading up on each to obtain some background information to go with the advice you get here.

Thanks for that mark. I have just come accross Autocad 2011 but im not sure, and its so hard to find a retailer in the UK that stock any of the products that im looking at to get advice.

You do not want to use plain AutoCAD. Some of the vertical products come with AutoCAD included and the user can elect to switch to it when required.

Well before you go and plunk down your hard earned money see if you can get a 30-day trial copy and look at the tutorials on the AutoDesk website. Good luck.

I know what you mean about the Autodesk website not being very useful unless you already know which product you need. I also think Civil3D is mostly likely what you're looking for. If you don't already know how it works, and don't have anywhere to go to see a demonstration, I'd watch as many video tutorials as possible, including those available at Autodesk University Online (free membership) I also agree with downloading the trial first. It's exactly the same as the full version without any limitations, but it only runs for 30 days after installation unless you purchase a license. If you're going to try to teach yourself, I'd also buy at least one book first so you have at least a basic idea of what you've got in front of you before you start your 30 day trial.

Autodesk Civil3D is what you want. If features all the functionality of AutoCad as well as civil engineering and surveying specific tools added on top.

In his duplicate post ptargent decided to go with Civil 3D afterall. I told him he should try to obtain a 30-day trial version and check out the online tutorials available at the AutoDesk website before making a final decision and plunking down his hard earned money. Would you agree with that advice? One other question Dink...the user can switch to a plain AutoCAD workspace in Civil 3D if so desired? Yes/No?

Yes, getting a feel for software first is also good. Althoguh if you want to do any formal training in (engineering) software, that will more often than not cost more the software itself.

Yes, Civil3D out of the box has an AutoCad workspace setup (2D Drafting & Annoation) stored to easily change too. That being said thoguh you can do all normal AutoCad work when in the Civil#D workspace which just features extra ribbon panels offering extra features.

It depends on what is going to be set out. If you are looking at road projects Civil 3D is perfect, but if you just want to do specific points, such as build axes and need the points in csv format then C3D is a bit over the top. We use both C3D and vanilla AutoCAD and for the majority of our setting out work vanilla AutoCAD together with a few LISP routines for writing point coordinates to an ascii file to upload into a total station does the job extremely well.

If drawings need to be "adjusted" then either vanilla AutoCAD or C3D can do the job. Do you need to input survey data into AutoCAD which then has to be returned to the designer/engineer, and if so, in what format?

As Dink rightly said in answer to ReMark's question

...the user can switch to a plain AutoCAD workspace in Civil 3D if so desired? Yes/No?
yes, but you can also build your own customized workspace and remove all the bits you don't need.

AutoCAD is an excellent bit of kit, but there are other CAD software programmes out there that could probably do the job also and for a fraction of the price.