Need Help choosing the cad for me

ptargent

ReMark,

I think we both did read the OP, but it was not so precisely defined what he wants to set out. C3D works best on road design projects where the road is defined in C3D. But some designers/engineers do their designs in vanilla AutoCAD or in C3D but not as a C3D object. It was not also stated where the work was to be set out and what information he had to prepare himself. I've seen road setting out drawings with almost nothing of importance on them and others where the information provided could not be used for setting out purposes. An engineer knows what is required, but some draughters don't and I say that with bitter experience. As you said it is not your area of expertise, but it is mine! (and Dink's also I think).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• ptargent

• SLW210

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been setting out small projects for numerous years, I would say that basic AutoCAD (not LT) is all that is needed. With lisp routines to extract coordinates to an external file, what more could you want.

Designers and Architects are seldom aware of setting out, and it is nice to be able to use metre units and rotate the whole lot so that Grid Lines run North - South and East - West and to get the coordinates to be not too many figures.

Of course if the project is large, then Civil 3D seems to come with setting out facilities (I don't know what the American expression for this is - layout??). Perhaps the price difference is not too great.

Eldon, that's my point precisely.

But what you also have to understand is that what is the norm in one country, doesn't necessarily apply in another country. This forum is global and benefits tremendously from an international input, but we must all be aware that differences apply. I've been in Germany for quite a while now and how we do setting out here is completely different from what I did in UK and how its done in the US. Also in UK if you're doing roads and sewers setting out for a housing developer or small industrial estate and then afterwards the buildings and external works, then Civil 3D is useless, you need vanilla AutoCAD. But if you're doing a new trunk road or motorway then Civil 3D is exactly what you need.

Surveying is in Civil 3D, but it almost dealt with as a by product. That's why we produce our survey data in ascii format and then read it into AutoCAD (not Civil 3D) using software that I've written myself. The survey data can and is easily input in Civil 3D when we need the functionality, which is quite often. Setting out data is also prepared in AutoCAD and written to an ascii file from our own software. The ascii file is then uploaded into the total stations and the point numbers called and set out directly. It suits the way we work and that is the thing that matters. (If anybody's doing surveying in vanilla AutoCAD and needs some software to help them do their survey or setting out work, then PM me and I'll be only too willing to send some software)

I recommend you take a class before making a purchase of this size.

I wouldn't say you have to take a class as such, but I would recommend you contact the reseller and have them come to your location and run some demonstrations on what each version can do as well as the limitations, give you some advice on training as well. I know they used to do such things.

Here is a link to locate a reseller... http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=8314527&siteID=123112

If your not to sure due to the price try the student edtion which retails at around £80, I have AutoCAD 2010 Student edition which is really good untill you print out and has Student License or something like that around the border of the print out but you can edited that out.

If your not to sure due to the price try the student edtion which retails at around £80

Retail? :? As far as I know, Autodesk products are free to students. But you have to be a STUDENT to get the software.

I do believe Autodesk has both a free and discount versions depending on the qualification of the applicant, but AFAIK, they don't have a program for non-students that know students.

I wouldn't say you have to take a class as such, .....

I occasionally get older students who have shelled out big bucks for software - then figure out they can't figure out how to use it, and in class turns out they can't figure out how to use a mouse, file management, straight line with ortho on..... OK, I'm exaggerating a bit - but just a bit, I don't want someone to spend their last dollar thinking this stuff is an Easy Button solution.

Civil 3D it is for me! just got to try and find a retailer now.

The OP hasn't even really participated in this discussion, sounds like decision already made and certain VARs will jump all over this sale whether it is appropriate or not. I can't tell you how many have come to me after purchasing at an unbelievable price from some website - only to later find out it is pirated, student or can't be activated.

I occasionally get older students who have shelled out big bucks for software - then figure out they can't figure out how to use it, and in class turns out they can't figure out how to use a mouse, file management, straight line with ortho on..... OK, I'm exaggerating a bit - but just a bit, I don't want someone to spend their last dollar thinking this stuff is an Easy Button solution.

Exactly why I suggested the OP have the reseller come by and show the Pros and Cons of each Autodesk product. I meant a CLASS as in an actual student class at an Institute of Higher Learning. (Hence...a class as such,....) A small tailored training session , such as those that can be found at Autodesk's site http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=14238514 would be good.

The OP hasn't even really participated in this discussion, sounds like decision already made and certain VARs will jump all over this sale whether it is appropriate or not. I can't tell you how many have come to me after purchasing at an unbelievable price from some website - only to later find out it is pirated, student or can't be activated.

One could only hope the OP (or anybody else seeking to purchase an Autodesk product) uses the link I posted to obtain an authorized reseller.

Exactly why I suggested the OP have the reseller come by and show ...

I've heard stories of some resellers who are no better than used-car salesmen. And of course their dog-and-pony show is always impressive. But get back to the office and try to do real work....

I'm just concerned that my impression is that the OP doesn't seem to be asking the right questions, doing due diligence, participating in the discussion... ...we've been talking to ourselves for quite a while since the last response.

Before you buy Civil 3d I would suggest you download a free trial of varoius softwares that Autodesk supplies therefore choosing the right one.

I've heard stories of some resellers who are no better than used-car salesmen. And of course their dog-and-pony show is always impressive. But get back to the office and try to do real work....

I'm just concerned that my impression is that the OP doesn't seem to be asking the right questions, doing due diligence, participating in the discussion... ...we've been talking to ourselves for quite a while since the last response.

Interesting, I have never heard of this about resellers, I have always dealt with pretty good companies. I stand corrected, perhaps the OP would be better off attend some training classes first.

And yes, it does appear strange that the OP has not been a participant in the discussions for a while now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ptarget - as far I am aware there are two main CAD resellers in the UK - CADline or Excitech.

Both of which will give you plenty of advice for any of the Autodesk products you want. And they should also give you some practical sessions to let you see the products in action.

Just google them, they both have websites and are fairly competitive so make sure you let them know you've heard of the other! :D