cad to cad

helen

Hello out there,

CAn anyone help?

I am trying to put a layer from a cad drawing into another cad drawing. When I 'insert' it, it comes out all blobby and wierd. Surely this should be quite simple?

Helen

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• helen

• ReMark

• Cad64

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

helen

From what program to what program. How are you copying your data? Are you just using Windows copy/paste? If so your data may be coming in as an OLE object. Best to save the date from first program, I'll assume AutoCAD as a DXF file or older DWG and then import it into your other program.

'from a cad drawing into another cad drawing'

I did try to do copy/paste but no result which is why I tried to insert the drawing layer but it came in wierd and unusable. What is OLE?

Thanks for your help...

What do you mean when you say 'layer'? If it really is layers that you are trying to copy the easiest way is to use Design Centre. But it doesn't sound like it's really an autocad-layer that you are wanting to copy.

What are the objects that you are trying to copy? Lines/Circles? Blocks?

'Insert' tab - 'insert', next to 'create' and 'block editor'.

It is 2D polylines which are all on the same layer, but it would also be useful to know how to copy objects from several layers.

I dont understand 'OLE'

"Insert" as in a block? Why not just copy and paste from one drawing to the other or do as Tiger suggested and go through the Design Center?

What do you mean "they come out all blobby and weird"? Can you post an image?

Helen, it's important to not only use correct terminology when asking questions, but also try to be as descriptive as possible in terms of what you're doing and what results you're experiencing. And if you can't express it in words, use images. Post screenshots so we can see what's happening. We're already 9 posts into this but we're still just trying to figure out what you're doing.

I have attached a picture of what I am trying to do, I hope it works.

I would like to know how to put the red poly line contours layer on the right cad drawing, in to the white line cad drawing on the left.

Is the insert tool a way of doing it? if so, how? because I have know idea how it works or what its for.

I tried to copy paste the same way as in windows word, but it didnt work, can some one explain how to copy paste in cad?

what is the difference between dwg and dxf?

What is OLE?

What is design center?

Many thanx for your helps

To use Copy/Paste both drawings need to be open. The best option with Copy/Paste is to do it with a know base point that is present in both drawings. That ensures that the contours will overlay the site plan accurately. You must also know if the drawings are done to the same scale or not since you may be required to scale the contours up or down upon insertion. Do you have or know any of this information?

Why are you asking about DXF? I see no need for its use in this case since you have two separate DWG files or are we still missing a vital piece of information?

Why the question about OLE? Are you being asked if you want to insert the contours as an OLE object?

Design Center is an AutoCAD feature which allows you to bring content, like blocks, layers, layouts, linetypes, etc., from one AutoCAD drawing into another drawing without using the Copy/Paste command.

It would help us to know how much Autocad experience you have. From the questions you're asking it seems like maybe this is your first time with the program?

Edit: I just noticed in the screenshot you posted that you're using the student version, so I assume you are enrolled in a class?

Thanks Re Mark, I do know what you are saying.....I just realised that to copy paste you have to have the lines selected with the blue squares! So now it is in the drawing I want it in. But now I cant change the pasted lineweights in properties to 0.25 why wont it let me change the line weight?

I was asking about DXF and OLE because it was mentioned by another member in a previous post. I am studying landscape architecture, its expected to know cad but they dont teach you

What are clipped xrefs?

Best, H

You are expected to know CAD but they don't teach you? What college is this?

Helen: You keep changing topics on us. Now you are inquiring about Xrefs. Did you read about them in another post too?

Let's go back to the contours that you brought into your drawing using Copy/Paste. Did you paste them as a block? How are you trying to change the lineweight of the contours? Is it in the drawing itself (by giving them a width) or in the Layer Properties Manager under the heading "Lineweight"?

An Xref is an external reference. One drawing can reference another drawing by attaching it as an xref. When changes are made to the drawing that is being referenced you will see those changes reflected in your drawing when you open it the next time. That means AutoCAD is always referencing the latest version of the drawing.

If your lines were not inserted or pasted as a block, you may be changing the lineweights but the program might not be set to display any differential in lineweights.

Type LWEIGHT into the command line and hit enter. Adjust the settings to your liking. You can toggle lineweight display on and off with the button at the bottom of the screen that looks like a smudged + sign. With it off, all of them are displayed at the same default weight.

Yes People keep mentioning things I don't understand! So i have to ask, ok I get X ref now.

I tried to change the contour line weight 'in the Layer Properties Manager under the heading "Lineweight"' to 0.5 but it only changes three quarters of the total lines. I did paste the lines but I dont know whether it was a 'block'. I highlighted them with the blue square thingys and did ctrlc/v.

It is not strictly true that we are expected to know autocad at Greenwich uni london, but all the students obviously want to learn it to meet the industry standards in Landscape architecture. David Watson, who started this website, is one of the best tutors there but for some reason they only teach us a bit of 3D cad, which implies they expect us to know 2d cad.

Where is Norwalk in usa?

I am studying landscape architecture, its expected to know cad but they dont teach you

Off topic, but this is my biggest problem with school. I don't know how it is for other disciplines, but for landscape architecture, they DO NOT teach the students Autocad. They teach them how to be dreamers and how to work on crazy projects that would never happen in the real world, but they do not teach them Autocad. And to be honest, that's what these kids are going to be doing for at least the first few years on the job. They're going to be sitting in front of a computer all day, every day, drafting up whatever we give them to work on. We had one girl quit after she realized that she was going to be sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day, every day. She had no idea. She was under the impression that she would be outside all the time, running around managing projects and doing field work or something. It's just funny to me. The single most important thing these kids need to learn is the one thing they are not being taught.