help: tracking points won't go away

bigdogrod

hi all, got a strange problem, when drawing lines or moving something, what looks like a tracking point will pop up but then won't go away, it's not selectable, and regen won't get rid of it. a save and reopen is the only way it goes away.

it only does this in 2 of the user log in names, and it's worse in the other one. it puts the x everywhere you click. here's a screen capture of what's going on. the brown x over in the upper right is the trouble. it used to be on one of the lines, but on a regen moved to there. this was just random lines and moving the mouse around to acquire snap and tracking points.

autocad 2008, windows xp pro

Yv3z

thanks

rod

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bigdogrod

• ReMark

• nestly

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

evga 256MB geforce 8600 gt - velocity micro performance edition

it's the strangest thing.. we have 2 other machines with the same hardware, none of the others are doing this.

all drivers between machines are the same as far as i know.

i would think they would be the same between the different windows log in profiles, we've switched back to a generic domain log in name for now

bigger blowup of the x... i lose resolution at this size, but it's a bunch of parallel lines, kind of a light brown color.

the x's on the other windows profile that's acting up are small and white

Yv9e

I heard NASA lost a satellite, I think it landed on rods monitor.

Is this plain AutoCAD, or is it from a vertical such as Map3D or Civil3D, or another CAD application.

nestly: lol.. they got english and metric confused again... this is plain ole autocad nothing fancy

remark: i'm not sure what this thing is, i called it a tracking point but the brown x only seems to show up when the mouse is moved over another object while in a command like 'move' or 'line' . the white x's in the other profile occur on each mouse click no matter what. but it could be blips.. i'll check blipmode and see what it says

thanks all for the help.. i've been pulling my hair out with this one.. lol

rod

i called it a tracking point but the brown x only seems to show up when the mouse is moved over another object while in a command like 'move' or 'line' . the white x's in the other profile occur on each mouse click no matter what. but it could be blips..

rod

Oh, that's some useful information. Now I understand why you're calling it a tracking point, it's acting like an OSNAP or Tracking point marker. It looks to me like you have an awful lot of non-standard buttons/toolbars, are you sure you don't have an add-on to AutoCAD installed?

I'm pretty sure ReMark is right about the white markers / BLIPMODE.

Edited by nestly

the toolbars just insert blocks, and we have 10 machines set up the same way, this is the only one that's gone haywire, and just under those 2 profiles, if i log into the machine as anybody else, it's fine...

hardware accelleration is off

blipmode is off

tried it this morning and still brown x's all over the place

Could it be a graphics driver related problem or a problem with the card itself? Any other drawings displaying unusually entities?

Are you seeing anything unusual in any other programs you run like MS Office for instance?

all drawings in these 2 profiles have problems, no other profiles on the machine, and all other programs seem fine.. what i can't figure out is why autocad would go haywire for only 2 log ins... also changing the autocad profile under "tools" - "options" doesn't help

If you don't have any AutoCAD addons, then I think it has to be a Windows thing, (mouse driver, animated cursor, etc) Try opening your Windows Process Manager (CTRL + Shift + Esc) and take a screenshot of the running processes, then switch to one of the other profiles and do the same thing, then compare them to see what's different.

What objects is the mouse moving over that causes the brown "x" to appear? What program was used to create the original drawing? Have you copy and pasted or imported in any manner content from another drawing done outside of your company maybe from a client or another consultant?

new drawing, just drew lines randomly around the screen. started new line and moved mouse across existing lines, that's when the x's showed up. also happens in any other drawing weather ours or from anybody else, that's when we noticed it.

Can you post a copy of a sample drawing file? I'm running 2012 this morning so I should be able to open it. If I draw random lines in it what would you expect me to see if anything?

To be clear, the problem isn't resolved by changing AutoCAD profiles, it's solved by changing Windows profiles, right?

Did you try looking at the Windows processes (post #14)

This just happened to me. I've used the same version of Acad for 3 years now and this is a first. blipmode & btmarkdisplay variable change does nothing.. you cannot select the object or modify in any way. If you regen it will show up in a different location