Looking for the right program...

Alancr125

Hello, i'm new to the forum... a little background info, i'm 27... work as a draftsman designing kitchens... i have used several different products from AutoCAD... currently using AutoCAD LT 2009... i have used Architectual Desktop and i have completed some classes on SolidWorks 3D programs... i am currently working on building a house but i was looking to purchase some type of software that could do 3D but wasn't to far from the functions of AutoCAD 3D... mostly needing to do basic home design and elevations... any suggestions?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alancr125

• f700es

• Jack_O'neill

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing wrong with LT. Sure there are no wall, door, window commands. All of these will have to be drawn by hand but it can be done. Lots of blocks out there to help with this. I would have a look at Google SketchUp. The pro version works well with DWG files and one can use them together to design some nice images, I know I have in the past.

SolidWorks won't be much help in Architecture but it can be used to make some sweet cabinet designs.

Welcome aboard :)

Sean

looking for something that can do some 3d rendering... i should have put that in the first post... i also doing some home design for friends and others to... i've read on Revit... but i have never used it... i used a program in college that was called Architectual Desktop (i think)... been a bit since i have in college (2007)... i haven't seen a price on Revit but i was looking for something that wouldn't break the bank... does anyone know if i could still find Architectual Desktop? i really enjoyed it...

Unless you have a whole pocket full of money to spend and just want the newest and shiniest thing out there, take a look at Bricscad. For about $600, it does 3d, runs autolisp and vba, and had a very good rendering engine. 30 day free trial too. Works and looks like autocad. costs less than lt.

AutoCad will render in 3D.

Correct and with the MentalRay rendering engine in it, it will render very well.

i didn't know that... my company just bought a 3D kitchen design software... i may have to check into this... the thing with me using my 09 LT is that its my companies and i get into the using my computer and CAD for personal gain... i don't know if they would even care but i don't know if i should take that risk... so i'll still be having to purchase something...

Unless you have a whole pocket full of money to spend and just want the newest and shiniest thing out there' date=' take a look at Bricscad. For about $600, it does 3d, runs autolisp and vba, and had a very good rendering engine. 30 day free trial too. Works and looks like autocad. costs less than lt.[/quote']

this i will definately have to check out!

OK so this is on you to buy. My opinions, yes AutoCAD would be nice to have but it is expensive. I am lucky that I am able to use the full version along with Acad Arch and Revit but if I did not have these this is what I would do.

1. For drafting look at low and no-cost AutoCAD alternatives. BricsCAD is one and Draftsight (free but 2D only) is another.

2. 3D, well there is always Google SketchUp. I use it all the time and the Pro let's you import/export DWG files. There are ways around this with the free version.

3. Rendering, look at programs like Kerkythea for rendering your 3d SketchUp models.

Here is a shot of a CAD to SketchUp design I am working on at the moment.

CAD-SU.jpg

Playing with a few options on a small house design. I have also used this combination for cabinet design in the past.

For some examples look at the link at the bottom of my posts ;)

i can't thank you guys enough for all the help... f700es-have you used TurboCAD 2D/3D Deluxe? i have read some revue's but i'm kinda skeptacle about it...

TurboCAD does have an AutoCAD LT clone called TurboCAD LTE Pro. Supposed to have smart walls, doors, etc. Seems to have other arch based solutions in it as well. Not free but $499 is not too bad. Might have a look myself and see how it does.

Link

Huh, just installed the LTE Pro demo and just in 5 minutes I am not impressed. Very clunky IMHO. Sure the commands are just like AutoCAD but the "fit and feel" just do not seem as polished. I'll post more when I get a chance.

Huh, just installed the LTE Pro demo and just in 5 minutes I am not impressed. Very clunky IMHO. Sure the commands are just like AutoCAD but the "fit and feel" just do not seem as polished. I'll post more when I get a chance.

thats mostly what i was figuring but i'm only doing some small drawings on a light scale... small houses and buildings, nothing to big of a project... they have the TurboCAD 2D/3D Deluxe for 99.00... if i can draw out the plans and do a basic 3D render with it i'll be happy...