• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alancr125

• f700es

• Jack_O'neill

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Give it a try Alan and let us know how you fair with it.

Will do! i'm going to pick it up this evening and i'll try and use it some tonight...

turbocad is horrible, don't ever buy it... anyone know where i can find Architectual desktop 06/07?

Oh lawdy...don't get that debate started again. There are folks that firmly believe that buying used/outdated Autodesk software is illegal. Others swear it's not. Both can site legal rulings in their favor. I don't know whether it is or not, but buying older software poses lots of potential problems. It could be pirated, which can get not only the seller but the buyer a stint in the pokey. It could be counterfeit. If it comes with a hack disk to get around the activation process, it's probably not legit. Be careful if you tread this path.

True but the latest ruling is that you cannot buy it 2nd hand.

Well, there are about 200 people on ebay today that disagree. Like I said, each side can quote chapter and verse as to why they think they are right. Ebay's policy intent is to not allow someone to sell illegal items or services, but they permit it, and charge for doing so, which would make them an accessory. I doubt they'd take that chance, but I could be wrong. I'm no lawyer.

If you buy it and 2 guys in black suits with court issued documents show up at your door, you'll know for sure.

turbocad is horrible, don't ever buy it... anyone know where i can find Architectual desktop 06/07?

I guess I will save my money.

Your best bet is to give Sketchup a trial, then Briscad.

ah! i thought when you bought the software you had to register with Autodesk... not trying to buy anything illegal for sure!

When you buy it legitimately, you do have to register or activate or whatever the proper term is. That's why you won't find any of the older versions at any of the dealers. When a new release comes out, they have to stop selling the previous one after a time. They even quit supporting older versions after a while. It's always best to go to a legitimate dealer, and buy a current version. I have 2 autocad licenses and one bricscad package. I have 2 machines here at home, one has 2007 adt on it and the other has 2010. I use bricscad on my laptop when I go to customer sites. I actually like it well enough that I'm thinking of not upgrading my autocad installations.

When you buy it legitimately' date=' you do have to register or activate or whatever the proper term is. That's why you won't find any of the older versions at any of the dealers. When a new release comes out, they have to stop selling the previous one after a time. They even quit supporting older versions after a while. It's always best to go to a legitimate dealer, and buy a current version. I have 2 autocad licenses and one bricscad package. I have 2 machines here at home, one has 2007 adt on it and the other has 2010. I use bricscad on my laptop when I go to customer sites. I actually like it well enough that I'm thinking of not upgrading my autocad installations.[/quote']

i believe Bricscad is going to be the best option for me...

Can you elaborate on that? Why are you saying it's horrible? What's wrong with it?

i may have been being a little harsh... i was a little upset with it at that moment... i was under the assumption that the rendering engine was the same as TurboCAD Pro... i bought the Deluxe 2D/3D package... drawing was slightly difficult with it, but i believe i could have got use to it... the renderings on the other hand were no where near what was protrayed for it to be... very displeased with that...

Jack_O'neill, which package would be the best to get? are the functions close to the same as AutoCAD? 3D rendering engine decent? thanks for the help!

I use the Platinum package. It comes with some options the other don't have that I found useful. It does VBA and LISP as well. To be clear, there are some things it doesn't do. I have V11, and 12 has been recently released. If you a great fan of tool pallets, v11 doesn't do that. I don't know if 12 does or not. There are a few other things it doesn't do, but it does some things that AutoCAD doesn't, as well. V11 has about the same functionality as Autocad 2008, but they are working on adding all the things that people are asking for. The tool pallet thing is not a deal breaker for me, as I can do just about everything I use tool pallets for by using a custom tool bar. Some folks feel differently.

I don't do a lot of 3d stuff except for my own entertainment. I get the occasional tooling or machine part but they rarely want a rendering. When I do render something I use Showcase. The pictures on bricscad's website are quite impressive, but I can't honestly say I've used the rendering engine much.

Here is a link to Bricscad's version comparison chart. You can compare and choose for yourself according to your needs. If you need lisp and vba, you won't be able to use the least expensive version. http://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/bricscad/comparison.jsp