Help......PC is so slow when working in 3D

Currahee

OK your CPU is fine, in fact it is more than fine. With 32-bit WinXP you are not using all 4GB of ram. In R2012 go to Options, System, Performance Settings and then Manual Tune. Is Enable hardware acceleration on? If not, do so. See if this makes a difference. Your card is not bad either, not a screamer but not bad.

I think Win7 64-bit would help. I looked your board up and it can handle 8gb of DDR2 ram. So with Win7 64-bit you could go up to that. Would a new board that could handle DDR3 ram make a difference? Maybe but maybe not that much of one. Do you have another hard drive sitting around? If so stick it in and install Win7 and AutoCAD 2012 64bit edition and see how it does. I moved from Vista 32 to Win7 64 here at work on my machine and it was like I got a brand new machine. I think WinXP is your bottleneck :(

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Currahee

• ReMark

• f700es

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have You tried another software on this machine - like BricsCAD, Rhino 4, SketchUp, Alibre and etc. Maybe the software is not up to the task and fails where others can do the job just fine without newer ending "upgrade"! In the end You are doing the same simple cabinets, right? You did this with your current machine, now You need to spend more money to do the same simple cabinets...

With the investment in AutoCAD 2012 I don't see the OP going out and buying another piece of software no matter how cheap it is. He'd be better off putting the money into his hardware as previously suggested by f700es.

Then you get Windows 7 Pro or ultimate SP1 and you run them in XP Mode or use an aftermarket program such as Longbow to run them.

I have tried putting my most important programs (like my construction estimating and accounting program which I am NOT going to change) on Windows 7 and run them under xp mode but they do not work...So I dont care how much honey you try to put on this turd of 32 bit OS....its still stinks like a turd. I wish I could get AutoCAD and my other construction estimating and accounting programs in Linux.....then I would never have to see another Windows headache in my life!!!!

I wish I could get AutoCAD and my other construction estimating and accounting programs in Linux.....then I would never have to see another Windows headache in my life!!!!

But then you would enter a complete new world of headaches ;) My opinion of course. Do I go Unity or Gnome3, decisions decisions... If I was stuck on XP I would stay with r2008 as this was the last good 32-bit edition IMHO. It was fast and stable. Hardware drivers for XP are going to be a problem soon. Just be ready and good luck.

OK your CPU is fine, in fact it is more than fine. With 32-bit WinXP you are not using all 4GB of ram. (

Actually with the program running and the drawing loaded, I am burning 1g

The latest driver didn't help?

I run Win 7 32-bit just fine with 3D and only 2GB of RAM.

You can always get a second computer set up with 32-bit to run the 32-bit only software.

Yeah I wouldn't blame the hardware, nor the 32bit OS yet. I've seen AutoCAD bring monster systems to a crawl.

Each new version of AutoCAD adds more features that can potentially cripple performance. It's a total crap-shoot as to whether any particular system and AutoCAD will play nice with each other, you have to find the specific conflict, because there is no guarantee that throwing money at it (better hardware) will solve the issue.

Do you have SELECTIONCYCLING and Roll-over tooltips turned off? What visual style are you using? (3DHidden is pretty demanding) How large is your drawing?

Edited by nestly

Actually with the program running and the drawing loaded, I am burning 1g

Might be but 32-bit XP will never use more than 2gb. Having that AMD quad in there is like having a new Ford 5.0 Coyote V8 in your car but running 13" tires ;)

What about VirturalPC, VMWare or VirturalBox?

I just checked some reviews and benchmarks of your NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT and my suggestion would be a better card.

Dynamic Input can slow it down as well.

Yeah I wouldn't blame the hardware, nor the 32bit OS yet. I've seen AutoCAD bring monster systems to a crawl.

Each new version of AutoCAD adds more features that can potentially cripple performance.

Do you have SELECTIONCYCLING and Roll-over tooltips turned off? What visual style are you using? (3DHidden is pretty demanding) How large is your drawing?

Yep...I know all this....I think I will just put AutoCAD 2007 back on here......

I cant yet make since of paying another $4000.00 for ANOTHER estimating program which I would have to do if I switched to 64 bit..

I just cant do it

Thank You SO much guys!!!

It is tough to switch from something that already work just right for you. I think we all have been there in some fashion.

Yep...I know all this....I think I will just put AutoCAD 2007 back on here......

I cant yet make since of paying another $4000.00 for ANOTHER estimating program which I would have to do if I switched to 64 bit..

I just cant do it

Thank You SO much guys!!!

Working in 3DHIDDEN visual style is so much slower than 2D WIREFRAME or CONCEPTUAL, have you considered working in either of those?

Do you have ADAPTIVE DEGRADATION turned on, and tuned to your specific tastes?

The default setting of 5fps can be boosted to 60fps, which is a significant increment. :)

I personally find 2012 to be very stable and a nice upgrade from 2010.

Have you used the VIEWBASE functions which were introduced in 2012?

They could be really useful generating 3D isometric view dwgs for your customers.

adaptive degradation.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Perhaps it has something to do with all the lines of code? There is probably a huge difference between 2007 and 2012 or 2013.

WOW..I just reinstalled 2007 and it runs twice as fast!!

I just dont understand

It was designed for XP. You have newer hardware but just an older OS. It is the weakest link in your system.

It was designed for XP. You have newer hardware but just an older OS. It is the weakest link in your system.

I dunno about that... there are lots of people that run 2011-2012 on WinXP, myself included. AutoCAD2011 is faster on my 5year first generation CoreDuo 32-bit WinXP pro machine than a 1 year old Core i7 64bit Win7 Pro machine that has 4 times more RAM than the XP machine.

I've seen benchmarks showing AutoCAD IS faster on 32bit than 64bit.

The size of AutoCAD2012 both on disk and in memory is probably at least twice that of AutoCAD2007