Penn Foster Oleson Village

cosme017

The list was showing different coordinates. Now i have the right coordinates, but the wrong places on the village, ex. Trees in the street. I'm pretty sure my list came up properly for the boundaries. I will check in the morning.

Yes, some of the trees do show up as being in the street. It has something to do with the "original" tree survey (first list of coordinates). Later in the exercise the student is presented with a second list of tree coordinates. I am not at my CAD computer right now but if I recall correctly each set of trees is located on its own layer with its own color (one layer is blue and the other is green).

Note that it is the center of the tree that should be at the X/Y coordinate given in the instructions.

FYI - Any forum member here is more than welcome to join in the discussion. I tend to respond to Penn-Foster questions on a more frequent basis as I was personally given several of the drawings by a former student who asked if I would be willing to assist others as the need arises.

FYI - Any forum member here is more than welcome to join in the discussion. I tend to respond to Penn-Foster questions on a more frequent basis as I was personally given several of the drawings by a former student who asked if I would be willing to assist others as the need arises.

More power to you ReMark, you do a great job! :beer:

We never heard back from Jonde?

I bet he is a virtual fly on the thread wall, no offense intended.

I have to admit Remark has had a lot of "virtual" patience with me, and has been nothing but courteous and very informative. (He states that he doesn't have patience, but I see things differently) Without him I would of given up a long time ago. I know some of my questions are repetitive from other posts, but for some reason I can understand Remark's answers better. He is an asset to this community, and I hope that I can repay him or the site for his time. Although, what do you give a chemical engineer? lol :D

I have to admit Remark has had a lot of "virtual" patience with me, and has been nothing but courteous and very informative. (He states that he doesn't have patience, but I see things differently) Without him I would of given up a long time ago. I know some of my questions are repetitive from other posts, but for some reason I can understand Remark's answers better. He is an asset to this community, and I hope that I can repay him or the site for his time. Although, what do you give a chemical engineer? lol :D

The satisfaction of knowing that he has succeeded in helping you, when you really do get it. :)

ok, so looking at a previous post from sdick, I am wondering by looking at the diagram from the professor it seems as though the curb is offset 2ft to the road side, and so is there suppose to be a layer for the "planting" strip/buffer? how do I show these measurements?

Edited by cosme017

When I do a list on a polyline, how do I get the footage and coordinates on each segment lot 4-6? I already have the line joined, so it gives me a 241' footage and a N37W-S46E bearing. So.....do they want the total, which is listed above, or do they want it broken down for each lot? The instructions tell you how to change it to a polyline, but that doesn't help if they want the footage and bearings at each lot surrounding the cul-de-sac.

That's correct, it's how the move command works. First it asks you to select what you want to move (you should select the tree block!), then for a reference point (in this case you want it to be the insertion block of the tree block), finally it asks for a second point (in this case enter the co-ordinates the tree's supposed to be at): think of it as "I want to move this object from that point (which doesn't have to have any relationship with the object you're moving) to this new point."

Why do you think the co-ordinates are off when you list them. May I suggest trying to re-insert a couple of the trees to see if you can insert them to the right place? (actually that would probably be quicker than moving them!).

ReMark: I hope you don't mind me posting this.

dJE

ok, so i see what your saying, but it is not moving. when it asks for the first point i type d for displacement, then input -2.32,1.44 for the second point. correct?

The offsets given are 6.00, 1.00 and 3.00 for a total of 10.00.

I have a strong disagreement with how the instructors have gone about interpreting these offsets. Anyone who has worked for a municipality would generally accept the fact that the curb and sidewalk fall within the streetlines and not outside them. When I researched this I actually found the regulations for the city in Pennsylvania that Penn_Foster is located in and confirmed it yet they have the students doing something quite different. I covered this, in depth, in another thread.

I don't believe the instructions actually call for dimensions per se.

Re: Trees. A correction. The two layers for the trees are Trees Save (color: green) and Trees Remove (Color: blue).

Edited by ReMark

Re: dimensions of lots 4-6.

I'm assuming you are talking about the property lines at the back of each property that double as the subdivision boundary.

You can measure between two intersecting property lines using the DISTANCE command. Example:

Command: di (the command alias for the DISTANCE command)

DIST

Specify first point: (pick with your mouse; use the Intersection or Endpoint snap)

Specify second point or [Multiple points]: (pick with your mouse; use the Intersection or Endpoint snap)

Distance = 168.24, Angle in XY Plane = S 2d W, Angle from XY Plane = N 90d E

Delta X = -7.29, Delta Y = -168.08, Delta Z = 0.00

Do you follow? BTW...I'm not sure why you would be asking about obtaining the coordinates.

FYI - I am not a chemical engineer nor have I ever claimed to be one. I refer to myself using the old terminology:"draftsman" although my company title is quite a bit different. I highly respect those who have stayed the course and gotten their engineering degrees and I would never put myself on the same level.

Olsen Village ROW_2.jpg

This is how I believe the drawing should be done with regards to the offsets for the buffer, sidewalk and parking strip.

The 1.00 buffer is the distance between the back of the sidewalk and the streetline/front property line. The sidewalk is 6.00. Then there is the 3.00 offset for the parking strip. This last line, in my opinion, represents the face of curb. Since most curbs are 6" in width but the scale of the map is so large (1'=50') there is no sense showing the true width as the two lines would plot too close together.

More power to you ReMark, you do a great job! :beer:

We never heard back from Jonde?

I bet he is a virtual fly on the thread wall, no offense intended.

Thank you Dadgad. Your comments are much appreciated. :)

ok, so i see what your saying, but it is not moving. when it asks for the first point i type d for displacement, then input -2.32,1.44 for the second point. correct?

Not quite. Rather than typing D, select a point, any random point, and then enter the desired displacement.

Does the command line say anything when you do type D?

Did you try inserting a few new trees? Did they go to the proper place?

dJE

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35818[/ATTACH]

This is how I believe the drawing should be done with regards to the offsets for the buffer, sidewalk and parking strip.

The 1.00 buffer is the distance between the back of the sidewalk and the streetline/front property line. The sidewalk is 6.00. Then there is the 3.00 offset for the parking strip. This last line, in my opinion, represents the face of curb. Since most curbs are 6" in width but the scale of the map is so large (1'=50') there is no sense showing the true width as the two lines would plot too close together.

So, I guess this diagram shows that the instructor has no clue about the project. Which I can believe. Thank you

attachment.php?attachmentid=33383&d=1330522244

I believe the instructor's sketch to be in error. However, since this is what he expects to see then you would be wise to reproduce it in your CAD drawing.

Consider this...the parking strip is supposed to be 3.00 and the buffer 1.00 yet in the instructor's sketch he has combined the buffer with the parking strip.

In the municipality where I worked for eight years (engineering department) one of my duties was to draw street line maps for all of our roads. Our "typical" street had a R.O.W. (right-of-way) of 50 feet (streetline to streetline). 10 feet on each side (for a total of 20 feet) was given over to the buffer, side walk, grassy strip and curb leaving a paved road width of 30 feet.

Re: dimensions of lots 4-6.

I'm assuming you are talking about the property lines at the back of each property that double as the subdivision boundary.

You can measure between two intersecting property lines using the DISTANCE command. Example:

Command: di (the command alias for the DISTANCE command)

DIST

Specify first point: (pick with your mouse; use the Intersection or Endpoint snap)

Specify second point or [Multiple points]: (pick with your mouse; use the Intersection or Endpoint snap)

Distance = 168.24, Angle in XY Plane = S 2d W, Angle from XY Plane = N 90d E

Delta X = -7.29, Delta Y = -168.08, Delta Z = 0.00

Do you follow? BTW...I'm not sure why you would be asking about obtaining the coordinates.

FYI - I am not a chemical engineer nor have I ever claimed to be one. I refer to myself using the old terminology:"draftsman" although my company title is quite a bit different. I highly respect those who have stayed the course and gotten their engineering degrees and I would never put myself on the same level.

OK, I'm sorry if I offended you. I just figured the help I am receiving and the place where you work; I just assumed. And yes, I meant bearings, not coordinates. Thank you for the help. I changed the lines.

ok, so I am back to my tree problem. One person is telling me to do it one way, the book is saying do it another, and I think I am combining the two. Of course, I can't figure out whats the best way to get those trees to their proper place. I have been trying all different ways, and they are not moving to their proper position. pg 15, talks about freezing the layers, and then use the move command. I have frozen the layers, selected all the trees, and then typed in the differentials. Do I have to do each tree individually?

I have not seen any of your course materials, nor am i a Civil kind of guy,

but, if you have selected all of the trees and they share the same differential then you should move them all at once.

As they are already in your selection set, whatever you do with them will happen to all of them.

If you are unfamiliar with the GROUP command, after making a selection, if you right click, you will see the GROUP

command available in your right click shortcut menu. Not to say that you should or need to group them,

just so you are aware of the functionality in the program. :)

Enough fooling around. Let's try a different approach for moving your trees.

Make the Trees Save layer current. Freeze ALL the other layers.

Start the MOVE command. When prompted to "Select objects" select ALL the trees.

At the prompt "Specify base point or [Displacement] :" pick the center of just one tree (it can be ANY tree).

At the prompt "Specify second point or :" I want you to type this: @2.73

All of your trees will now be in their correct position (I've already verified this based on the coordinates of tree S10).

Not to belabor the point but you did not insult me by referring to me as a chemical engineer. I just wanted to make it clear to everyone that I am not an engineer nor do I consider myself one. End of topic.

Next question.

FYI - I sent off an email to Penn-Foster this morning telling them they should correct the misinformation contained with the Oleson Village instructional PDF as it regards the location of the buffer, sidewalk, planting ( not "parking) strip and the curb. I think they should at least provide the student with the proper information along with a sketch so there is no confusion in the future.

BTW, I checked the local regulations of the city P-F is located in and they don't even follow them. Makes me wonder what genius wrote the project instructions.