crashes others computers after emailing dwg

pneal231

Have you tried doing the old WBLOCK trick and taking everything from the original drawing and putting it into a new drawing then saving it under a different name. WBLOCK sometimes solves problems other methods can't.

Update:

Go to my Profile and look at the messages. Fourth one from the top. Email me the drawing. You have no more than 10 minutes from the time of this post then I will remove my email address. Go now! Quickly. Run, Forrest, run!

Time out:12:07 PM EDST

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pneal231

• ReMark

• nestly

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that was an interesting little exercise....in frustration.

I initially opened your file in AutoCAD 2013. When it got to 93% loaded it paused for a noticeable length of time before it continued on and fully loaded. There was only one item left to purge and an audit turned up no errors. I verified it was indeed a Trusted DWG and it had all of 2671 objects.

My next step was to try loading the drawing in AutoCAD 2010. Once again everything seemed to pause, unusually long, at the 93% mark where I then encountered the dreaded "AutoCAD has stopped working..." error message. I let the system spin its wheels for about five minutes before closing out 2010.

I reopened the drawing in 2013 and this time saved it all the way back to 2000 file format. The file size grew by a factor of 2.5X to over 10MB but this did not concern me as I have a 38MB fabrication drawing for one of our buildings that I have opened and worked in using 2010. I tried opening this version of your drawing but experienced the exact same problem as with the original file.

Are you on Subscription?

If so I suggest you send a tech support request, explain the nature of the problem, then when contacted (can take up to two full business days) send AutoDesk a copy of the file and let them take a look at it.

In the meantime I will put it aside and think on it for a while before returning and trying a different approach.

Sorry I cannot be of further assistance at the moment.

Odd.

I blew away the XREF layer and purged the hell out of the drawing afterwards (working with a copy). Then saved it in 2010 file format. Since I also have 2011 running on my computer (no 2012) I decided to try and open the drawing with that version. Guess what? It opened. Still had the pause at the 93% mark but I wonder if that is where AutoCAD swaps out the "MrHand" font for Simplex.

And odder.

There is something in your drawing that just does not agree with 2010. Tried opening the same drawing mentioned in my last post and damn if it did not encounter a problem again. I tried running an Audit on the drawing in 2011 before saving it but no errors were turned up.

Curses! Foiled again.

What's the deal with all the rectangular windows that are actually blocks back in model space? Can you explain what was done there? There is something strange about the way they were created. So strange that when I tried to edit one in 2013 I was able to crash the program.

I have merged the threads.

If you feel you need your thread moved, please notify a moderator to move it for you. Creating multiple threads causes more confusion and fewer solutions.

I WBLOCKED out everything that was in model space and saved it under a new name using AutoCAD 2012. I started AutoCAD 2010 and opened the new drawing. It did not crash 2010....yet. I'll let you know what happens after another five minutes.

I moved, copied, rotated, mirrored, deleted and added entities and AutoCAD 2010 is still stable. I even exploded one of the blocks and nothing bad happened. Still running.

I reopened your original drawing in AutoCAD 2012 and thawed all frozen layers. I erased everything in model space leaving just the six layouts and anything that appeared on them including the OLE objects. I purged and audited the drawing and saved what was left under a new name. I opened this new drawing in AutoCAD 2010 and at the 6% mark everything paused for a good 30 seconds. However, after that the drawing did load and 2010 remained stable. So using 2010 I opened the drawing that I created the first time around (containing only the objects in model space) and it came up rather quickly by comparison (did not pause). Maybe the problem is somehow connected to the layouts themselves? Is that where you are making your edits? Perhaps on layout E4, E5-1 or E5-2?

Well I've done all I could so the rest is up to you. I believe the problem lies with the layouts and not the model space objects.

• 2 weeks later...

After filing a tech support request, Autodesk first sent me a file back that they, "recovered" which still did not open in 2010, and was now missing everything in the layouts.(which is where the revisions I made for the client were done). After mentioning this to Autodesk they sent me a new "recovered file" that still did not open in 2010 and now with ONLY the layouts information nothing in model space. After a few more emails Autodesk concluded in quote "My opinion as an AutoCAD expert is that you should not continue with these files. They will almost certainly continue to cause trouble going forward. I'm not sure what happened to cause the corruption in this file, but my opinion is that the corruption is beyond repair. My recommendation is to start from scratch and rebuild this file."

Thanks everyone for attempting to resolve the issue, everyone on here actually recommended commands and other things, whereas the Autodesk representative didn't even attempt to do any troubleshooting with me.

I never tried to open your file as I don't have AutoCAD2010 to test with. It does seem there is "something" in the drawing that's corrupt, what's disappointing is that Autodesk couldn't give you a better idea what that "something" is instead of just suggesting you recreate the whole thing.