SuperCAD

Proper title for CAD users?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Proper title for CAD users?

• CAD Technician
    • CAD Designer
    • CAD Drafter
    • Other (specify)

I get that feeling quite often, but not today. I got a minor ego boost at work today. Apparently, the owner of one of our largest accounts called our owner today about concerns he had over a very important and large project coming up in '09. He specifically requested that the "guy who does the really cool 3D drawings" works on this project. Now I'm flying out to meet with the design team next week and talk about this project. How cool is that?

That indeed rocks! Congrats on being recognized and being an active part of the design team for something super big!!! :D

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperCAD

• ReMark

• GypsyQueen

• Teeds

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SuperCAD: It is always nice to hear that our work is appreciated even if it is only once in awhile.

I see nothing wrong with being a CADtech, CAD draftsman or CAD designer. Most of the engineers I work with can barely make a decent hand sketch on a cocktail napkin let alone create a complete set of drawings for a project. Someone has to assemble all the parts and display them in a manner that makes sense. That's US!

I too have the "luxury" of being able to get up from my workstation and do some "field" work. It breaks up the day and wakes up the mind and body. I see myself as a bridge between the engineer and the people responsible for bringing his design into reality.

I started off as a CADprentice and had my sights set on CADministrator, but alas I fell victim to a CADtastrophie of CADastrophic proportions!

:?

I wonder how many people become actual engineers and designers who started off as CAD technicians. It would be really interesting to hear of peoples career development. And it would also be interesting to hear how peoples CAD careers degenerate. What happened LifeoRiley. Someone said to me today: Dont you get fedup of staring at a screen all day. It is a window but sometimes you want to get out into the fresh air.

Grain: Nothing happened. I was just poking fun at all the hoopla about titles. Right now I am just thankful that I have a job. Our company just calls us the CAD Guys.

As far as career development goes....I came from the field after a pretty bad accident and have no formal CAD education. In fact I didn't own a PC until about 6 years ago! I guess you could say 3 years ago I couldn't spell CAD and now I is one!

I really do like it and have found it both fun and challenging. I really appreciate all the good folks here at CAD Tutor and have learned a lot from you guys. I do miss the "stressless" work environment of the field but the working conditions are a lot better in the office especially on a day like yesterday or today.

Yes, being inside on a miserably cold day or one where it's raining cats and dogs is definitely not fun. Although at the beginning of the week I had to do another roof inspection and was outside for three hours and the temp was in the teens. Thank god for winter woolies!

Where in the Granite State are you located? I've spent a lot of time motorcycling around the White Mountains, attending races at Loudon, and visiting friends in Derry and Manchester. Even hiked Mt. Washington on my birthday one year with my brother. Mild and dry at the base, fog and sleet at the top and that was the beginning of August!

CADD = Computer Aided Drafting and Design.

Right...we don't design CAD. But we use CAD as our main tool for design purposes. I guess it is all semantics no matter what way you look at it.

Hey, as long as I have a job they can call me anything they want. What's in a title anyway?

exactly.

The word technician has become so overused these days it is now completely meaningless.

example: Automotive Glass Technician - for Crying out loud. - A technician to glue a bit of glass to your car :lol:

When I worked on aircraft I had 7 months training and a whole load of exams before I could call myslef a "mechanic" then 4 years in the field then another 6 months training and another load of exams before I was allowed to call myself a "Technician".

In my mind, doing a two week evening course in Acad then spending a year or two drawing lines and circles doesn't qualify someone to be called a CAD technician

How about a title that covers them all: Cadtechnidraftineer?

:? But what if I don't have the "eer" part of the experience yet?! Then I'd be false advertising.:o They might have to take my title away completely.:shock: Then I'd go back to being a nobody that uses a computer.:cry:

(I just wanted an excuse to put all those smileys in at one time)

But the "eer" part not of my experience yet is still true.

and has anybody tried sticking that word into a job search website? :?

Umm... *raises hand* Does Google count? I wanted to see if a picture of Bob would pop up.

But the only thing that popped up on all of google was this thread.:?

Umm... *raises hand* Does Google

count? I wanted to see if a picture of Bob would pop up.

google search results

Cadtecnidraftineer.jpg

That's the lowest result score i've ever seen on google (:shock: Even with

omitted reslts showing!)

...That's the lowest result score i've ever seen on google (:shock: Even with omitted reslts showing!)

Hehe, when I googled it, there was only the one post of Bob's that came up. LOL.

Oh how I love this internet community! It's like I finally found my niche in the world and it comes with a cup of hot cocoa and a warm blanket.

Oh how I love this internet community! It's like I finally found my niche in the world and it comes with a cup of hot cocoa and a warm blanket.

Don't forget the footstool

Umm... *raises hand* Does Google count? I wanted to see if a picture of Bob would pop up.

They were afraid to put my picture on there. I'm too ugly!!!:lol:

They were afraid to put my picture on there. I'm too ugly!!!:lol:

OMG! Don't even start that. They didn't put your picture on there cuz you didn't want the Paparazzi chasing you every where you went.:)

Though I think you should get an award for making a word up that no one had coined on the internet yet.:D