• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperCAD

• ReMark

• GypsyQueen

• Teeds

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Typically we are defined by what we design not what we use to do the design. I am a Piping Designer not a CAD Designer, otherwise years ago I should have been called a Board Designer, but that would be just a silly as being called a CAD Designer.

If a person is a straight up Drafter with no particular engineering discipline as their expertice then they are Drafters, not CAD Drafters.

"I can use Excel, I must be an Accountant."

surely that would make you a Computer Aided Design Designer?!?! sounds a little silly imo :)

Is that where a CADD engineer job title keepin pop up i wonder :huh: . . . . . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Here we have CAD ops (or technicans) & CAD Engineers (like myself) who are qualified engineers who concentrate on the CAD side of things... but to everyone else we're CAD-monkeys.

• 3 weeks later...

I always prefererred to be called "drafter" or "draftsman". CAD happens to be a tool I use, and I'm pretty good at it, but it doesn't mean I can't draw by hand or don't know about design, drafting standards, etc.

I always prefererred to be called "drafter" or "draftsman". CAD happens to be a tool I use, and I'm pretty good at it, but it doesn't mean I can't draw by hand or don't know about design, drafting standards, etc.

People need to know that you can use CAD, thats why its a prominent part of most peoples job titles, I'd guess at. It goes against standard job title naming conventions, but I suppose when there were an equal amount of manual and CAD drafters it was essential that your CAD proficiency was distinguishable.

• 2 weeks later...

Where we are, we have:

• Trainee/Tracer.
  • CAD Technician/Monkey.
  • CAD Draftsman (Monkey with 4 years+ experience)
  • Engineering Technician (Monkeys who can design stuff with 4 years + experience)
  • CAD Manager (Overpaid Draftsman).

Works for us :roll:

• 1 month later...
Hi Rob150

It would be interesting to see what salaries you put against your hierarchy of Caddists

Well, I can tell you based on my experience doing this...from Monkey to upwards so to speak:

Tracer: About £6k - £9k.

CAD Tech - About £9k - £13k.

CAD Draftsman - About £13k to £16k.

Eng Tech - About £16k - £20. Then off to be a real engineer.

CAD Manager - Usually about £25k upwards. I've know some on salaries that would rival the Queen of England...

We're trying to change it here so we have career Caddies...So the Drafty has no salary cap. Genius I say. :?

• 2 weeks later...
Where we are, we have:

• Trainee/Tracer.
  • CAD Technician/Monkey.
  • CAD Draftsman (Monkey with 4 years+ experience)
  • Engineering Technician (Monkeys who can design stuff with 4 years + experience)
  • CAD Manager (Overpaid Draftsman).

Works for us :roll:

At our place, all CAD operators, technicians, anyone who is not designated as a Project Manager or higher is considered

Professional Staff ... I think that has more of an elegant designation:D

"Professional Staff" ? I like that. There's nothing professional about us here. :P

CAD is regarded as a bit of a joke job here, a stop-gap to "greater" things.

In my job I am a Cad Tech. I feel this is right as I look after a team of consultants who need drawings in Cad. They do some work with cad themselves but at time need help from me. So I think the 'Tech' part may fit well for me.

I remember when I was looking for a job in this field the confusion on employer’s part at what I can do.

"Professional Staff" ? I like that. There's nothing professional about us here. :P

CAD is regarded as a bit of a joke job here, a stop-gap to "greater" things.

Sometimes I question the professionalism of coworkers too! :shock:

Most people who start our at our firm that are "Professional Staff" are recent graduates or CAD Tech people specifically, if they want to move on to "Managment" positions, they can, but I think "Professioal Staff" is a nicer way of definine a job title that doesn't really have a professional title (ie Engineer, Architect, Project Manager etc.):)

Perhaps we should all just switch over to the term COG (CAD Operating Grunt), as we're all just cogs in a big machine anyway :thumbsup: