Opening File problem. Read Only.

CADLee

I installed AutoCAD 2013. I have done a few projects on it and everything worked fine. But today after getting a project part way completed I saved it and closed it, then moved on to something else.

When I came back to it to work on it some more, it told me that it was in use and that I could only open it as a "Read Only".

It was not open by anything other CAD pragrams or anything. What is the problem here.

The only way it seems I can work on it again is to do a reboot. I dont want to do this all the time.

Can anyone tell me what is causing it and why it is only telling me I can open it as "Read Only" when it is not opened by anything else. But it tells me it is in use by another program.

Thank You

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADLee

• ReMark

• BIGAL

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think and thought that when you close the file, the DWL file closes as well. I think I might have found the problem or solution to the problem. In the task manahger there are several AutoCAD components running. One is the AcCloud Manager, AcBrowserHost.exe, and a couple more. When I ended the process in the task manager, it seemed I was able to open the drawing up again. There are still a few things I need to try with this, but I dont have time right now, as I have another job that I had to do last night and again tonight. I play in a band and we have gigs we have to do, so it will prob be tomorrow afternoon till I try these out and will let yall know what I find.

Thanks for all the help. It is highly appreciated.

I think I found the problem. After saving a file and then closing it. I would go back to it to open it and it would tell me the file was in use and could only be open and a "read only"

So I went to the task manager and closed all the AutoCAD components.

I ended the process on the ACSettingSync.exe, accoreconsole.exe*32, and AcCloudManager.exe.

After ending those in the task manager. I would go back to the AutoCAD 2013 and I could open the file with no problem.

Does anyone know why I have to end these processes in the task manager to open a file to work on it and it not be a "read only"???????????????

Thank You

If you want to leave DWL snails behind then use the RED X to end your Autocad if you use EXIT it close all the files it has locked properly I keep telling my guys to not do it.

I don't want the DWL left there if that is what is causing the problem. But like I said earlier, I do not think it is the DWL that is causing the "read only" problem. It seems to be with what is running in the task manager. It has never happened with any other earlier versions. From 2006 to 2012. Only 2013, so that is why I am not quite sure what is going on, other than it is the things I mentioned earlier that run in the task manager.

Did you download and install any updates (service packs) for AutoCAD 2012?

What is the full path to this drawing?

Can you provide an image of the error message you are seeing?

I'm guessing here but by any chance are you working off of a network? This reply to a question similar to yours was posted at the AutoDesk Discussion Forums by thepworth:

"When you open a drawing, ACAD creates a .DWL file, or a drawing lock, in the drawing's directory. If you loose network access, the .DWL isn't automatically erased like it is when you close "normally" Reopening the drawing AutoCAD sees the DWL and assumes that the lock means the drawing is in use."

So maybe you have a glitch in the system that causes you to temprarily loose network connectivity.

It is with 2013 I am having the problem with. All it the message says is " You are opening a file that read only, do you wish to continue."

Does the patch for 2012 do any good. Sometimes I am hesitant about patches because they sometimes do more harm than good till the make another patch. And would that really effect the 2013 version?

Sorry for any confusion about my reply. Still early in Texas and not enough coffee yet.

There is a service pack 1.1 for 2013 on the AutoDesk website. The initial service pack was withdrawn because of problems. I have SP 1.1 loaded and haven't had any problems.

Are you working off of a network? Yes/No/What's a network?

What anti-virus program is being used? Have you tried disabling it temporarily to see what happens? Some programs scan AutoCAD files aggressively in the mistaken belief they are suspect.

AutoDesk has this to say about a "read only" error....http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2865666&linkID=9240617

ReMark I just wanted to make sure I am doing this right. I went to Autodesk sight, Get support, Service Pack updates, Then went to AutoCAD 2013? is that right.

Also I should have mentioned, but I dont know if this has anything to do with it or not. The Autodesk Sync in the system tray kept saying there was a connection problem or something like that. So I went to the solutions for that and downloaded the patch for that.

As far as a network, I am not quite sure what you mean by that. I am on a laptop and it is only me on the Internet through the Internet. No one else uses AutoCAD or is on the Internet. Sometime I do use a Ethernet rather than going wireless. Maybe that would solve the problem to insure there are no interferring signals. I dont know.

But I want to make sure I download the right patch in the right place.

It sounds like you went to the right place but did you download the right service pack? There are 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

AutoDesk Sync? I am not familiar with that feature. I'll have to look it up.

Network as in you are working for a company that requires their employees to log into a network where all files are stored. Sounds like you are working as a standalone user.

I think the money is on network connection we occasionally get this problem also, it a combination maybe of WIN 7 & network sometimes we move a directory finished project, explorer will say locked can not do, so paste to local drive then cut and paste to new network location and it works Huh ?

Also, one more stupid question. I see there are 2 patches for 2012. I havent installed any of them and I have two questions.

1) I probably need to install the first one before the second one if I remember correct from other CAD programs with patches.

2) It seems to be working OK and I have not had any problems. So do I really need to install them?????

I will try to explain step by step.

I open AutoCAD 2013

I start a drawing

I save the drawing to a file on my computer in "My Documents". Then if need be close it

When I come back to it, it says that it is in use and can only be open as "READ ONLY" do you wish to continue to open the file.

I am a stand-alone user. Working from home. No network, No sharing files with any computers. I am the only one using AutoCAD.

I hope this helps. I did not mean to make any one confused with all my questions.

P.S. I have more little question. When I run AutoCAD 2013, my fan on the laptop seems to run all the time. The laptop is 2.2Ghz and has 4GB of RAM. Is anyone else having this happen as well.

Whenever you load a piece of new software, whether it is a brand new program, a driver, or a service pack (not the same as a "patch") you should first create a Windows restore point. The next thing I would recommend is that you temporarily disable your anti-virus program. Then load the service pack. Rarely if ever will you need to reverse the installation of a service pack from AutoDesk. In all my years I've never done so.

Service packs are usually cumulative so you can download service pack 2 and it should contain service pack 1. But just to be sure always open the Readme.txt file that is posted at the same location the service pack is.

Yes, you need to install the service pack. Do you need to change the oil in your car? Maybe you can just keep adding oil and never change the filter. You car will continue to run. But would you consider that a wise course of action?