How to 2D Draw A Tooth of Gear?

spinecad

Please do not risk your job over a silly 3D spoon drawing. It isn't worth it. There's no deadline you have to meet either. Heck, if you don't want to do it I can't force you so feel free to tell me you got better things to do. I will not be offended. We're just having some fun here that's all.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spinecad

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• PotGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please do not risk your job over a silly 3D spoon drawing. It isn't worth it. There's no deadline you have to meet either. Heck, if you don't want to do it I can't force you so feel free to tell me you got better things to do. I will not be offended. We're just having some fun here that's all.

Lol, dw. I just call it practise on 3rd Angle Projection. I'm an apprentice CAD Techie within 1st year, and I've done this sort of thing before during downtime. (See screen!)

Haven't started on my end yet! :oops:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39882[/ATTACH]

Handle wise, have you considered adding a hole near the end of the handle? Like a spoon that's part of a set, that loops round a ring?

I like this one, it has a beer opener on it. I am not at all sure what the other end is good for, though.

• 3 weeks later...

WormGearRoughCut.PNG

Caveats:

1. This is a rough approximation intended for demonstration purposes only.

2. The gear teeth are a figment of my imagination. Any relation to the real world is purely accidental on my part.

This was done using plain AutoCAD. I think it would be wiser to create your worm gear using Inventor.

I did it by creating a small four tooth section in profile using a continuous polyline. I copied the original profile 1/2" higher then rotated it thereby offsetting the teeth (they do not line up). I used the LOFT command to create a 3D solid. I arrayed this result and unioned everything together.

Yes, it is not the most elegant way nor the quickest but you get the general idea don't you?

Not to worry. JD Mather will come along, tell me where I screwed up, and suggest as he always does that I should have used a modern MCAD program (like Inventor). Heard it all before and I just don't care.:lol:

For me it was just a fun exercise. If you gain something from it fine. If you don't well what can I say? No offense taken. We cool?:)

And how to draw a curve that tangent to red line and blue line from point A to point B such as below image in AutoCAD?

I'd tried this in Solidworks and Catia which are much easier than in AutoCAD.

Perhaps in the next version of AutoCAD I hope.

image.jpg

And how to draw a curve that tangent to red line and blue line from point A to point B such as below image in AutoCAD?

Attached via the Spline command, Method = CV, Degree = 2.

Tangents.dwg

WormScrew.jpg

A rough approximation but I think it serves the purpose.

Use the HELIX command to create the spiral.

Draw your tooth profile.

Sweep the profile.

Extrude the core. Union together.

Done.

Use Constraints (Parameters tab in AutoCAD since v2010 or 2011).

Attach your SolidWorks file here. By "curve" do you mean an arc (part of a circle) or a spline?

There is no solution to an arc going through those two points and tangent to those two lines.

Tangents.png

This is through both points and tangent to ONE line. (SolidWorks)

AutoCAD Parametrics.png

This is tangent to both lines going through ONE point. (AutoCAD)

Edited by JD Mather

By "curve" do you mean an arc (part of a circle) or a spline?

There is no solution to an arc going through those two points and tangent to those two lines.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40251[/ATTACH]

This is through both points and tangent to ONE line. (SolidWorks)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40254[/ATTACH]

This is tangent to both lines going through ONE point. (AutoCAD)

I mean how to create such as the first picture (Solidworks) of above two pictures in AutoCAD?

I would like to create a spline that has its control point such as in the Solidworks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40240[/ATTACH]

A rough approximation but I think it serves the purpose.

Use the HELIX command to create the spiral.

Draw your tooth profile.

Sweep the profile.

Extrude the core. Union together.

Done.

No it's not SWEEP ing.

It should sweep if there is no problem with your geometry. I swear I used the SWEEP command on my tooth profile.

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it. Maybe they can discern what the nature of the problem is.

Edited by ReMark

I would like to create a spline that has its control point such as in the Solidworks.

You should be more precise in describing your problems in the initial post so that it doesn't take a bunch more posts to clarify.

(also, I would suggest starting a new thread for each new problem description. We have gone from gears to spoons to simple spline curves)

You should be using Autodesk Inventor rather than AutoCAD if you are going to compare to SolidWorks.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Students can get Autodesk Inventor for free here http://engineersrule.org

Edited by JD Mather

You should be more precise in describing your problems in the initial post so that it doesn't take a bunch more posts to clarify.

(also, I would suggest starting a new thread for each new problem description. We have gone from gears to spoons to simple pline curves)

You should be using Autodesk Inventor rather than AutoCAD if you are going to compare to SolidWorks.

Sorry! :oops:

(also, I would suggest starting a new thread for each new problem description. We have gone from gears to spoons to simple spline curves)

I have no idea whether the Autodesk Inventor has this feature because I never use it before and until now.

Thank you for the information.

However, can this, spline with handle, be done in AutoCAD?

Do you understand the equation?

If you don't mind, can you explain it clearly?