standard ttf fonts

joendarch95

using autocad lt 2013 for the mac.

setting up standards for an office that has been using this version for awhile and various non-standard fonts have been added. is there a list anywhere of the fonts that come standard to all versions of autocad??? would like to make the standards accessible to all and realize that many fonts i can view are mac only, but don't know which ones... thanks for your help in advance...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• RobDraw

• ReMark

• Tyke

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 12 Fonts that come shipped with Microsoft Windows (last time I checked). I'm not sure about the Apple OS.

Using Arial would be best bet, especially if the Apple OS comes with it standard. Arial has been a standard TTF for AutoCAD and other CAD related software applications, such as Revit. It's a clean font, and everyone running Windows based OS's has it installed, no questions about it.

The trouble with TTF fonts is that there can be several variations of the same font. What may pass for Arial Bold on your computer may look slightly different on another person's computer. We have had several threads regarding problems of this nature. That's why our company sticks to SHX fonts. Unfortunately some people act like they are designing print ads or product packaging and they start to get carried away with all the "pretty" fonts. When it comes time to print then they realize, to their dismay, who don't always get what you see.

The trouble with TTF fonts is that there can be several variations of the same font. What may pass for Arial Bold on your computer may look slightly different on another person's computer. We have had several threads regarding problems of this nature. That's why our company sticks to SHX fonts. Unfortunately some people act like they are designing print ads or product packaging and they start to get carried away with all the "pretty" fonts. When it comes time to print then they realize, to their dismay, who don't always get what you see.
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Arial.TTF is one of a kind and consistent, unless someone overwrote this file with an altered one, which is highly unlikely.

SHX fonts, IMHO, are a thing of the past in most cases. I'm not saying to overhaul your standards because of this comment, but the OP is setting up standards (seemingly new) which would merit the use of Arial TTF from this point forward.

My $0.02 anyways. :)

When you have a chance search CADTutor regarding Arial font (variations like Arial Narrow, or Bold, or MT) printing problems. They mainly center around what was shipped with earlier versions of Windows and what comes with other MS programs like Word. Trust me...some people have had problems. They create a drawing which looks great on their computer. Then the send the drawing off to someone else who opens it and notices a difference right away. Nothing changed in the file itself, it all has to do with the version of Arial installed on the computer.

Yeah gonna have to agree with Tanner on this one. I think what remark is talking about is when a user creates a text style and calls it Arial and does not use Arial font. I also agree that shx fonts are hold overs back to the ms dos days much like blipmode, having regens turned off and low viewres settings.

For about the 3rd time, I'm going to have to verify that ReMark is spot on with this one. I have witnessed it first hand and more than once with Arial Bold in particular and it was pretty much determined that it probably changed ever so slightly.

From what I recall there was a change in the font style between what one would see using Vista, for example, compared to what shipped with Windows 7.

Well, I am not doubting you two as I know you are both well versed in Acad but I myself have never heard about or seen this myself. I guess I will have to be from Missouri on this one and someone will have to "show me" the issue. Maybe I have been lucky and just missed it.

I'll have to dig into it when I have some free time.

Anyway back to the OPs issue. Not having a mac anymore or one running AutoCAD I have no idea on the solution. I got rid of my Dell running OSX Tiger some time ago so I can't even look to see how OSX handles fonts. I imagine that it has a system font folder much like all OSs do but how AutoCAD for OSX addresses them I am not sure.

I con only verify what ReMark is saying. We had a problem only yesterday plotting a title block with some of the text in Arial MT to a PDF, all the words came out as a series of dots. We changed the font to plain Arial and all was fine. As all of our drawings are delivered to the clients we have a policy of sticking to the tried and tested fonts. Our problems are mostly with drawings that we get from clients.

I con only verify what ReMark is saying. We had a problem only yesterday plotting a title block with some of the text in Arial MT to a PDF, all the words came out as a series of dots. We changed the font to plain Arial and all was fine. As all of our drawings are delivered to the clients we have a policy of sticking to the tried and tested fonts. Our problems are mostly with drawings that we get from clients.
Arial MT is not Arial.

Arial MT is not Arial.

I know that and perhaps it was a bad choice of words, but I never intended to say Arial and Arial MT were at all connected. I was just making the point that we had a problem with Arial MT and changed it to another font that we have used in the past and then the problem was gone.

There is an option in the DWG to PDF driver to capture fonts as geometry. PDFs using that option do not require the receiver to have the fonts.

Edited by RobDraw