Print on title box help

BEERM4N

First off i'll say the CAD experience i'va had was drawing some straight lines a few years ago.

Ok so I had a freind draw up some house plans for me.

He has given me the .dwg file and i'm now wondering how i print these plans to A3 with titlebox where I can add my details so I can submit the plans to Council.

Where do I start?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BEERM4N

• steven-g

• ReMark

• sparkyuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest AARi

... edit titlebox fields [double click] and add your profiles...

or print them out in .pdf and add by hand all matter... in any case you will have to sign the doc.s

I dont have a title box ;) where can i download one for a3?

Also how do i bring each drawing individualy from the model to the paper.?

May not be making sense cause im not explaining myself very well.

Here is the file.

I would like each of the seprate drawing in the model to be on a sperate a3 layout which can be printed. I figure i can add the title details later. How can I insert these into seprate layouts?

5Summary_FN2(1).dwg

Layouts in AutoCAD are primarily there for the user to place his/her title block and border. In order to see the objects created back in model space one then needs to add a viewport (or more than one viewport). Are you familiar with the concept?

You said, "I would like each of the seprate drawing in the model to be on a sperate a3 layout....".

When I saw the word "layout" I took that literally to mean you were making use of a paper space layout. I guess I was wrong.

Attach a copy of the actual DWG file to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it.

Please tell us that you did indeed draw everything in model space at FULL size. Did you? You didn't draw it "to scale" as one would on a drafting board did you?

BTW...I know where you can find a set of metric templates in various sizes.

Hi remark I attached it a couple of posts back up. I assume my friend did it to scale u think he is reanasonavly good at using cad

The drawing itself seems to be well done. I haven't actually checked whether it was done "to scale" or not. You need to create a separate paper space layout, with title block/border along with a viewport, in the proper orientation for the floor plan, each of the two elevations, the section and finally the plot plan. That would make for a total of five layouts. If you plan on using a A3 sheet size for the plot plan then the viewport scale for that drawing will be different than for the rest of the drawings.

There are a number of things you should know about viewports and one that I consider essential is that there should be a separate layer for viewports and this layer should be set to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager. I would not advise placing your viewports, as it seems someone has done, on the Defpoints layer.

For additional information regarding viewports refer to this thread....

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72972-Things-you-should-know-about-Viewports.&highlight=viewports

OK...I went back and took another look at your drawing and I have some bad news for you.

The reason you are having a problem is simply because your friend mistakenly used a template based on imperial units and drew everything up in decimal inches when he should have used a metric template. If he had used a metric template he could have then chosen to have 1 drawing unit represent 1mm, 1cm, or 1m.

Another problem with having used a template based upon imperial units is that when one looks at the list of available scales that can be assigned to a viewport the only ones shown are common to architectural scales used in the United States and not those commonly used in the U.K. and other countries where the metric system has been adopted.

I dont have a title box ;) where can i download one for a3?

Also how do i bring each drawing individualy from the model to the paper.?

Where are you located, it's been a long time since I submitted drawings to the council for approval (30 years) but things can't have changed that much can they :) I found when I first started, that visiting their offices was very helpful, you normally (at least in the UK) had to have council forms filled in to go with the submission, and if you go to the offices and ask for the forms, then also ask them for an example of how drawings should be presented. That way you know what sort of title blocks, and information are required. You could also probably find examples with google but as I said it will depend on where you are in the world.

Guest AARi

TitleBlock_BEERMAN.dwg

you got a title box.

> copy into paper space tab [tb + fields]> [double click to fill the fiedls]

> scale to a3 [a4x2]

> make test with your printter if its correct or may be after

> improve your skills into _viewport [open a window from model dwg]

> doble click into the viewport windows generate.. make a zoom all after [z all]

> pan the area you want to plot.

> improve your skill with command . zoom xxx/xp

forgot ... '10 format acad

beerm4n show your state by screen shoots...

Edited by AARi
spelling

[ATTACH]42185[/ATTACH]

you got a title box.

> copy into paper space tab [tb + fields]> [double click to fill the fiedls]

> scale to a3 [a4x2]

> make test with your printter if its correct or may be after

> improve your skills into _viewport [open a window from model dwg]

> doble click into the viewport windows generate.. make a zoom all after [z all]

> pan the area you want to plot.

> improve your skill with command . scale xxx/xp

forgot ... '10 format acad

beerm4n show your state by screen shoots...

Thanks alot.

I regards to the use of imperial units, this is going to cause a big problem with scaling to metric isnt it?

Scaling should be OK, an Autocad drawing doesn't know what metric or imperial is, it works in units and allows you to enter sizes in either decimal or fractional notation, for autocad 1.25 or 1-1/4 both represent 1 and a quarter units. The only difference is when you print, if you choose an imperial paper size autocad will set 1 unit = 1 inch, and if you choose metric then it will set 1 unit =1 mm, but on the plot dialogue box you can change it to suit your needs. I'm not at a cad computer at the moment, but on the plot dialogue I think it is in the plot scale section, you can set units to either mm or inches and also the scale factor. Try a couple of scale factors and use print preview to check how it will look.

Guest AARi

check

_UNIT

_OPTIONS dialoge box

think the only you need to change units customization

Tamaño Alto x Ancho (mm) Alto x Ancho (pulg)

4A0 2378 x 1682 mm 93,6 x 66,2 pulg

2A0 1682 x 1189 mm 66,2 x 46,8 pulg

A0 1189 x 841 mm 46,8 x 33,1 pulg

A1 841 x 594 mm 33,1 x 23,4 pulg

A2 594 x 420 mm 23,4 x 16,5 pulg

A3 420 x 297 mm 16,5 x 11,7 pulg

A4 297 x 210 mm 11,7 x 8,3 pulg

A5 210 x 148 mm 8,3 x 5,8 pulg

A6 148 x 105 mm 5,8 x 4,1 pulg

A7 105 x 74 mm 4,1 x. 2,9 pulg

A8 74 x 52 mm 2,9 x 2,0 pulg

A9 52 x 37 mm 2,0 x 1,5 pulg

A10 37 x 26 mm 1,5 x 1,0 pulg

I'm all for steven-g figuring it out for you. He has access to the drawing and could set up the necessary paper space layouts with a properly sized metric template from the link I provided earlier. I'll sit back and await the results as should you.

Edited by ReMark

As I said I haven't got access to Autocad at the moment but I'll put it on my list for first thing monday morning :)

As I said I haven't got access to Autocad at the moment but I'll put it on my list for first thing monday morning :)

We'll be looking forward to it. Make sure you do them in metric.