simple tricks and tips for beginners

cabiles1

Hello Dana,

I tried to send just you a message but I guess since I am new it's not going to let me. I could use your help. i just picked up Autocad and started using it two days ago. I needed it to draw some wing ribs for a plane I am building. I have it all laid out properly and figured out how to copy the two so they are close to each other on the same "model space". What I need to do now is lay them out and copy them so that I can get as many copies of the image on a 36" x 48" sheet of paper as I can. Then make it a .PDF so I can take it to the local printer and have them print it on the plotter. I live in an engineering college town and for some reason no one here can print directly from the Autocad file (is it even possible?). Anyhow, my question is, I have the "model space" drawings to exact scale, so when I convert it to .PDF and they print it, will it be to scale still? I can upload the file for you to look at if you'd like or if necessary. Thanks, Jon.

if the stuff you've drawn in model space (MS) is the correct size (IE you've drawn what you want to be exactly the same size as in real life), then:

change to a paper space tab and set up your page (a topic in itself, but assuming you can get through this-), set your page size to be the same as the paper you're printing to (both the PDF you're gonna be plotting to in autocad and the ultimate paper copy eg set to A1 landscape), add a viewport (vp) to the paper, double click inside the vp to activate it, pan/zoom etc until you see your geometry, d'click outside the vp to deactivate it, select the vp and set scale to 1:1, lock vp

ensure when printing the PDF that no scaling (eg 'shrink to fit') is applied. likewise be careful when setting up your page/plotting to PDF in autocad

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• ReMark

• mikekmx

• steven-g

If you have AutoCAD, an AutoCAD clone (line Draftsight which is free), or a copy of DWG TrueView on your computer you can print a DWG file directly.

Modelspace is as big as the entire universe,

is this true? has anyone checked?
Waddaya mean, is it true? :shock: That is certainly not the way I would have put it. Have YOU checked?

OK, I mentioned this to one of the guys here and he decided to do a little checking. He says it's a bit larger; however, he got so lost dealing with all the black holes, etc., that he could be off a little. (I've always thought he was off a lot!) The thing is, he found the entire experience so traumatic that he's now turned drawing limits back ON and refuses to go beyond his little office!:shock: The fridge and microwave were easy enough, but we've still not finished his private toilet. (And before you ask, I don't want to think about it.) Thanks for nothing.;)

I just drew a line that was one light year in length (approx. 9 500 000 000 000 kilometers) and AutoCAD had to problem doing so. Anyone know off the top of their head what the dimensions for our universe would be?

Seems to me the current thinking is around 15 billion or so, which I think means a radius of around 15 billion light years.

EDIT: Well no, it's about "14.0 billion parsecs (about 45.7 billion light years)", per one estimate in Wikipedia. OR, from the same article...

The best estimate of the age of the universe as of 2013 is 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years[2] but due to the expansion of space humans are observing objects that were originally much closer but are now considerably farther away (as defined in terms of cosmological proper distance, which is equal to the comoving distance at the present time) than a static 13.8 billion light-years distance.[3] The diameter of the observable universe is estimated at about 28 billion parsecs (93 billion light-years),[4] putting the edge of the observable universe at about 46–47 billion light-years away.[5][6]

Welcome to CadTutor.

Tip 10 - Use continuous polylines for everything that can be drawn with plain line segments.

I can agree with all of those except Tip 10, there are reasons for lines and reasons for plines. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to forget about lines, just use both objects in the appropriate setting.

I just drew a line that was one light year in length (approx. 9 500 000 000 000 kilometers) and AutoCAD had to problem doing so. Anyone know off the top of their head what the dimensions for our universe would be?

Was that a Line or a Polyline?

Seems to me the current thinking is around 15 billion or so, which I think means a radius of around 15 billion light years.

EDIT: Well no, it's about "14.0 billion parsecs (about 45.7 billion light years)", per one estimate in Wikipedia. OR, from the same article...

The best estimate of the age of the universe as of 2013 is 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years[2] but due to the expansion of space humans are observing objects that were originally much closer but are now considerably farther away (as defined in terms of cosmological proper distance, which is equal to the comoving distance at the present time) than a static 13.8 billion light-years distance.[3] The diameter of the observable universe is estimated at about 28 billion parsecs (93 billion light-years),[4] putting the edge of the observable universe at about 46–47 billion light-years away.[5][6]

Well that was correct when it was written, but considering the rate of increase in the speed of expansion of the Universe, it is probably not so close anymore.

I can agree with all of those except Tip 10, there are reasons for lines and reasons for plines. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to forget about lines, just use both objects in the appropriate setting.

It of course does depend on what you're doing, I suppose. I am used to having everything easily translatable to the CNC machinery in the shop.

I'm relatively new to the autocad world myself, bht I must say that dana w' s advice seems just right to me.
Don't drink all the cool-aid just yet. :lol: I only meant my list to start new users thinking about why certain ways are better for some things.

I read (quite a while back so forgive me if I use the wrong terms) the universe has no edge and its toric in shape , so has no edge. If you keep going you'd wind up back where you started, hence AutoCAD bigger than the universe!

Augi is located in the Gliese 667C system a mere 22 light-years away from the Scorpion constellation. Practically in our backyard space-travel speaking of course.

Augi is located in the Gliese 667C system a mere 22 light-years away from the Scorpion constellation. Practically in our backyard space-travel speaking of course.
That's right. It's where this guy is from.

I read (quite a while back so forgive me if I use the wrong terms) the universe has no edge and its toric in shape , so has no edge. If you keep going you'd wind up back where you started, hence AutoCAD bigger than the universe!
Yeah, it seems like that is at least a theoretical (mathematical) possibility, though I don't know how definitive it is. But overall, it seems to be, and unsurprisingly so, much more complicated than we can really model in AutoCAD. :shock: According to the related ideas I have encountered, there are from the beginning some dimensions involved (minimum 6) that were not 'unpacked' in developing our four space-time continuum. At the very least, you'd need some God-lenses to take it all in. 8) It's fun to investigate and to speculate, but ultimately, the universe is not really man-knowable nor drawable. Go figure. :)

If it was drawable we'd need a universe sized paper.

Or an A4 @ 1:10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

ok...i have a line 3 x 10^30mm long which i think should be much longer than 13 billion light years so that is bigger than the universe. i can draw stuff at sub-atomic size but i can't zoom in far enough to see it. :)

ok...i have a line 3 x 10^30mm long which i think should be much longer than 13 billion light years so that is bigger than the universe. i can draw stuff at sub-atomic size but i can't zoom in far enough to see it. :)
I wonder how long it will take to zoom extents on that line. I'm thinkin' you're still in the Line command, unless you started it a really, really long time ago.;)