Contribute a tip, become famous

CADTutor

dont know if it has been mentioned before but here goes.

double clicking on the mouse wheel to zoom extents

Here is another one. This has also been posted in reply to one of the threads by me.

MAKE OBJECT LAYER CURRENT

I normally use button "make object's layer current" located next to layer toolbar as shown in image file.

so what you need to do it click that button & than select the object on the layer you want to switch to.:)

make layer current.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

(Okay, I've gone back through the last 12 pages of this thread and haven't seen this one yet. Since it threw me for a loop before I finally figured it out a couple years ago, I think it's worth sharing.)

If you've ever created several viewports on one drawing and get to a point where your latest viewport appears to be turned off (though it's not), and you can't get the contents to display -- unless you delete a previous one on that same drawing -- you've hit your maximum allowed for that drawing.

Increase that maximum using "MAXACTVP". Just type in a higher value than what you'll require for the drawing and the contents of your viewport will suddenly be visible!

[NOTE: I use AutoCAD 2008 but I know that this works AT LEAST as far back as 2000.]

(Here's another that stumped me for a while... once upon a time) :

Problem:

Can't open more than one drawing for editing at a time (in one session)...

Solution:

Type SDI into command line

Hit ENTER

Type in 0

Hit ENTER

(System variable SDI = Single Drawing Interface) When value is set to ONE, only one drawing can be opened for editing in any given session. When set to ZERO, multiple drawings can be opened at once.

When I use MTEXT, sometimes the individual lines don't appear to be spaced the same. There's a setting that controls this behavior:

(1) After selecting an MTEXT object, right-click and choose "Properties" from the shortcut menu to open the Properties dialog box.

(2) Find the "Line Space Style" option under the Text heading, and click on "At Least" to scroll/change it to "Exactly".

This makes the distance between all lines equal!

Ever erase a hatch object, and any other object associated with the hatch gets erased, too?

Erasing a hatch object when the PICKSTYLE system variable is set to 3 causes objects associated with the hatch to be erased as well. This occurs because AutoCAD is instructed to treat the hatch and any associated objects as a single entity. (I call this "Assembly Mode", which is Group Selection).

If you don't want associated objects to be deleted when erasing hatch objects, set PICKSTYLE to 0 or 1 so that AutoCAD treats the hatch and any associated object as separate entities.

Here are the PICKSTYLE options:

0 = No group selection; no associative hatch selection

1 = Group selection only

2 = Associative hatch selection only

3 = Group selection AND associative hatch selection

Also, to toggle quickly in and out of Group Selection Mode (between PICKSTYLES 2 & 3), type CTRL + H at the command line.

While on the subject of hatches...

Do you want to control the start point of a hatch?

For example: when you're working specifically with brick patterns, you usually want the pattern to start at the bottom so that the full height of the first brick coursing appears, instead of just part of a brick. To achieve this, you can use the SNAPBASE and HATCHEDIT commands to pick a new origin point.

To begin, create your associative* hatch and then enter SNAPBASE on the command line. Press ENTER and select the desired origin point

(e.g., bottom-left corner of selection area for brick patterns).

Next, enter HATCHEDIT on the command line and select the associative hatch pattern you want to redefine (*the hatch pattern must be associative for the HATCHEDIT command to work). When the HATCHEDIT dialog box is displayed, simply click the OK button and the associative hatch re-hatches itself based on the new origin point!

When I'm really focused on my work, my hands can get FLYING (left hand on the keyboard; right hand on the mouse)! There's been more than one occasion when I suddenly realize my command line has disappeared.

Quick Fix = CTRL + 9

(That's a simple one but, if you don't have it happen very often, it's easy to forget.) :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Have your favorite OSNAP settings suddenly and apparently randomly "reset themselves"? (There are theories that certain lisp routines can cause this... but I've never looked into it.)

You can quickly get your favorite OSNAP settings back if you create a toolbar button to do so! ("Creating Toolbar Buttons" is a tutorial in itself that I may come back with later... but if you know how, here's what to do with it) :

Once your favorite OSNAP settings are activated, type OSMODE at the command line. The number returned is the sum of your OSNAP values. Remember it and create a button with the macro

^C^C_osmode;

;

For example, my favorite OSNAPS yield a sum of 2607...

so my macro is

^C^C_osmode;2607;

Now, whenever my OSNAP settings get inexplicably reset, I simply click this button and I'm baaaaaaaack! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

In AutoCAD 2009, the eTransmit command Transmittal Setup has a new option for purging drawings. Use this option to make the transmittal smaller when sending via email.

In AutoCAD 2009, to use the Navigation Cube/View Cube, you must be in a 3d shademode, ie. anything but 2dWireframe.

• 2 weeks later...

Time Sensitive Right-Click (secondary-button click)

Using time sensitive right-click allows you to set a time delay on your right click.

As an example, I have this turned on with the time delay set to 250 milliseconds.

This means that the action for default mode (no objects selected) and command mode (when a command is active) can be both Repeat Last Command/Enter and Shortcut Menu.

To use your right (or secondary) click for enter/repeat you just do a quick click, to get the shortcut menus you hold the mouse button for the time delay that you have enter (250 in my example).

The only mode that this does not affect is Edit mode (when entities are select with no active command) which I have set to Shortcut menu, as you can access the last command before selecting entities (or press Spacebar/Return/Enter) when you have entities selected. Hopefully this will be added in future releases, but given the time savings from the other modes, this option isn't really a problem.

Access to these settings can be found in Options, on the User Preferences tab, and then click on Right-Click Customization.

This ability, I believe, was added to the 2007 product range.

I don't think this one has been said- It takes a while to read 16 pages, alot to forget in that time period! :oops:

To deselect(or is it unselect?) an object:

If you are selecting multiple objects to erase, move, copy, etc and you accidentally select one you didn't want, you can hold down the shift key and click on the object again and it will be deselected.

I use it a whole bunch! :wink:

Time Sensitive Right-Click (secondary-button click)

Using time sensitive right-click allows you to set a time delay on your right click.

As an example, I have this turned on with the time delay set to 250 milliseconds.

This means that the action for default mode (no objects selected) and command mode (when a command is active) can be both Repeat Last Command/Enter and Shortcut Menu.

To use your right (or secondary) click for enter/repeat you just do a quick click, to get the shortcut menus you hold the mouse button for the time delay that you have enter (250 in my example).

The only mode that this does not affect is Edit mode (when entities are select with no active command) which I have set to Shortcut menu, as you can access the last command before selecting entities (or press Spacebar/Return/Enter) when you have entities selected. Hopefully this will be added in future releases, but given the time savings from the other modes, this option isn't really a problem.

Access to these settings can be found in Options, on the User Preferences tab, and then click on Right-Click Customization.

This ability, I believe, was added to the 2007 product range.

Great tip. It's in 2005, as well.

If u dont know this before, TRY..............:star:

Editing group of MText....

Grip MTexts u want to edit one by one in an order, then go properties, in text pallete, contents u can see one butten right side of contents, click......

U can see what will happen......:shock:

Great tip. It's in 2005, as well.

Thanks. I could not remember when it was introduced, but have noticed a lot of guys, even now running 2009 still do not know about it. I wonder how many other features go unnoticed for years?

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Sir,

I want to add one my autocad tip.

Using copy or move with drag

1. select the object what we want to move.

2. drag that object and press ctrl key.

3. then we can observe that there is + mark at mouse point.

4. we can paste that objet where we want to keep that object.

Thanks,

B.CH.S.R.Nagesh

Hopefully this helps someone, ive been using this site for a while and am very pleased at the chance to give something back after all the help i have received.

I see many people copy things from one drawing to another by using copy by basepoint 0,0 then paste at 0,0 so the objects appear at the same co-ordinates in the secondry drawing, but there is an AutoCad command _pasteorig that does exactly the same thing - paste's copied objects (using the ctrl+c button) to their original co-ordinates, i have this option added as an extra button next to the normal paste.