Contribute a tip, become famous

CADTutor

When using the trim or extend buttons if you right click (press enter) before selecting any objects then all objects are selected and you can trim (or extend) to your hearts content without having to chose the boundaries or re-doing the command. Simple but I found it effective.

If you have loads of lisp as i do then you wont have buttons for every one or at least not every toolbar open so you can load them easily then you will use the appload command (load application) which can be slow. Did you know you can simply drag and drop lisps to get them to load (especially useful if you are duel monitor) i have one explorer window open with all the lisps visable then just drag and drop to load. This also works with blocks, .txt files (which enter as mtext and are editable, perhaps another tip in itself), drawings (same as blocks i suppose) .csv files, .xls files and probably many other things but alas not image files.

Note: The following is copied and pasted from a newsletter from www.excitech.co.uk and I thought it might be of some interest... the link takes you through to an Autodesk site which has utilities available for the clean up...

When a file contains excess scales within the scale list, performance may be negatively affected. Eventually, the file may become unusable. To use the file, some scales must be removed.

Step 1: Prevent this from happening on further files. Nested external references (xrefs) may produce excess scales. To ensure that this problem does not recur, ensure that Service Pack 1 is installed on all 2008 AutoCAD-based products.

Step 2: Repairing already affected files. There is a utility which repairs affected files by removing excess scales from the scale list. It can also be used on multiple files.

Did you know there is more than one way to 'explode' something ?

There are at least three, - EXPLODE, XPLODE, and BURST.

EXPLODE breaks a compound object (e.g. PLINE, HATCH, BLOCK) into its component objects.

XPLODE is similar in a way to EXPLODE, but has the function of the user being able to change the properties of objects whilst 'exploding' them.

BURST is primarily for 'exploding' blocks, and converting the constituent attributes to text objects.

If we want export bunch of layers from one project drawing to another, then need not to copy entire all objects from project drawing to another project.

Here I given names for orginal drawing is - DWG-01

and another working drawing name is - DWG-02

open layers properites manager from DWG-01 and select layer state manager at top left corner (3rd option) or Alt+S, select NEW button give layer state name as DWG-01 (this name was our wish), then close layer manager window ans press ok button on layers manager. After that save the DWG-01 drawing.

Open the DWG-02 and open layer properities manager, select layer state manager and press import option and select the DWG-01 drawing from our local path and open that drawing, then "select layer states" pupup menu, press ok and close that window.

Now we can obser that the layers are export from DWG-01 to DWG-02.

This tip is by B.CH.S.R.Nagesh

Here is a little list from my own blog:

How to customize the Break Command to prompt for the first point first.

Getting rid of the blue and green selection boxes

Copying entities from Blocks or Xrefs

How many maximum elements show on lists like layer manager?

How to bring back a dialog box that is out of the screen?

Using all the power of the Grips on AEC polygons (AutoCAD Architecture)

Disabling selection preview for Hatches

Crating inverted XClips (AutoCAD 2008 and later)

Shortcut to 3d Orbit

Adjusting the maximum Hatch density

Sorry to just write links, but I thought that explaining all this again would take me forever

Note: The following is copied and pasted from a newsletter from www.excitech.co.uk and I thought it might be of some interest... the link takes you through to an Autodesk site which has utilities available for the clean up...

When a file contains excess scales within the scale list, performance may be negatively affected. Eventually, the file may become unusable. To use the file, some scales must be removed.

Step 1: Prevent this from happening on further files. Nested external references (xrefs) may produce excess scales. To ensure that this problem does not recur, ensure that Service Pack 1 is installed on all 2008 AutoCAD-based products.

Step 2: Repairing already affected files. There is a utility which repairs affected files by removing excess scales from the scale list. It can also be used on multiple files.

I think running the script SCALELISTEDIT will allow you to get rid of the excessive list of sclaes. Also you can create a Script containing the following

(COMMAND "-SCALELISTEDIT""R""Y""E")

and run it with ScriptPro on a Batch of files.

I Use AutoCAD Architecture 2009 at work and this issue has been solved by adding an option of "Hide Xref Scales"

Ever get bitten by a rougue system variable in a file?

To help me remember what some critical system variables are set to, I added an MTEXT object to my template file. In it I added all the system variables I need to check on as FIELDS. I have the Mtext object on a "noplot" layer.

Now I can easily see (and remember to check) what VISRETAIN and several other critical varibles are set to!

if you want to make quick blocks of something, move or copy, you can select the desired objects, hold right click and drag, when you let go you will be prompted with a little popup with the options of "move here copy here paste as block cancel" (no commands required to execute).

i use this regularly to quickly make a block out of a set of entities when i'm trying to take a certain object i've created (building, custom shape, etc.) and copy & rotate around in a drawing (then i can just explode all the blocks with the desired filtering option)

i know someone already touched lightly on the use of -layer in some buttons. however, if you were to type -layer at the command line, you can have all the options that you are given with the gui layer manager and so many more. i always edit my pgp file so la is -layer and since i rarely every use the layer manager, i have it as lay. you can create layers, change color and/or linetype of layers, freeze, thaw, turn on/off (all using wildcards - oh so nice). i have separate routines for these, but if i'm on a users computer that doesn't, it's so easy to turn off all the storm layers by simply typeing "-layer" "of" "*storm*" and entering twice.

here are all the options you have from the command line, i know the gui manager is so much prettier, but the command line is truely the fastest way to go.

Command: la

-LAYER

Current layer: "0"

Enter an option

[?/Make/Set/New/ON/OFF/Color/Ltype/LWeight/MATerial/Plot/Freeze/Thaw/LOck/Unlock

/stAte]:

i despise the slowness of the gui manager, i can make a layer (color, linetype, etc.) at the command line before the manager can even open.

if for some reason you want to make a copy of something that will overlay itself, you can select your object(s), execute copy (or vise-versa) and right click twice. it will use displacement and 0,0,0 0,0,0 as the basepoint. this also works for move, but it will only move it to the exact same place.

i'm sure most know these, but they are far too useful not to mention.

if you are in the middle of a command (erase, move, copy, etc.) and you want to select the last object created, or the previous object(s) selected, you can type "L" for last and "p" for previous and it will select them.

i type "e" "l" at least once a day. the "p" is especially nice if you were to move several objects to a spot, then need to rotate them (i know express tools has move/copy/rotate, but it won't rotate by reference), you can then execute "rotate" and type "p" and it will select what you just moved/copied. then you can begin rotating.

last one, i promise.

if you want to make the most out of your function keys (the especially easy way), you can create a mnu or mns file to load into autocad editing the accelerator keys.

here's is an example cut from my custom mnu file from 2005, i've warmed up to the cui editor, but this is still so much easier with a little understanding.

save a file like this as "name.mnu" and load it into autocad with "menuload".

//

// AutoCAD menu file - C:\Documents and Settings\athompson\Application Data\Autodesk\Autodesk Land Desktop 2005\R16.1\enu\support\custom.mnu

//

***MENUGROUP=ALAN-CUSTOM

***ACCELERATORS

["F1"]^C^CEXCHPROP

["F5"]^C^CPEDIT

["F6"]^C^CDIV

//

// End of AutoCAD menu file - C:\Documents and Settings\athompson\Application Data\Autodesk\Autodesk Land Desktop 2005\R16.1\enu\support\custom.mnu

//

the only function keys i actually use are f2, f3 and f8. the rest are, as far as i'm concerned, open to become whatever i want them to be.

this combined with using the numbers (0-9), the tilda (`), the -, the =, +, comma (,), etc. as shortcuts to functions will increase your productivity 10 fold (easiest thing to do is just edit them in the pgp file) "start" "acad.pgp" will open your pgp file.

as example, here are the numbers from my pgp file:

`, *QLEADER

1, *LC - changes objects to current layer

2, *LS - set current layer based on picked object or typed in name

3, *LF - turn off layer of selected object or by typed name

4, *LZ - freeze layer of selected object or by typed name

5, *EXTRIM - amazing bonus tool

6, *civilpointmodlist - LDD point visibility option

7, *LIST - "li" for me is layer isolate

8, *LayerP

9, *LX - erase all objects on layer of selected object or by type name

0, *MATH - command line calculator

ok, i lied, but this one is too good not to include

"qlattach" it's an express tool that will allow you to select an unassociated leader and a piece of mtext and it will associate them together taking on all current qleader settings.

i couldn't resist: "imageframe" if you set it to "2" you will still be able to see the frames of your image, be able to move it around/ erase it, but when you plot, the frames will not plot with it. (the variable is only included in newer version (can't remember when i started) i'm pretty sure i found out about it in 2005 or 2006.

actually, here's the exact wording straight from help:

0 Setting

Image frames are not displayed and not plotted.

1 Setting

Image frames are both displayed and plotted. This setting is the default.

2 Setting

Image frames are displayed but not plotted.

on an additional note, if you are in an active command and hit f1 (or ctrl f1) it will open help and if the active command is documented, it will open the the help options of the active command.

ok, not i'm really done. i have reading to do for class.

later guys.

• 2 weeks later...

This may or may not be useful, depending on how people work. Just an interesting 1 that is RARELY mentioned.

Don't you hate it when you need and image, and all you have is a dwf, what do you do?

Well, you could 'print' it as an image, etc, etc, etc.

Alternatively, you can rename the *.dwf file to a .zip and then open with you favourite zip program. You will see 2 folders and a single xml file.

The folders should be called something similar to com.autodesk.dwf.ePlot_etc etc etc and com.autodesk.dwf.ePlotGlobal (although these may vary depending on the dwf printer used).

In this example, the com.autodesk.dwf.ePlot_etc etc etc folder contains a PNG file. Open this file and you will see image that you seen when viewing the dwf.

NOTE: The quality can vary.

Fast creation of blocks.

If we don't care about the block name, we can select the objects we want click Ctrl + C, then Ctrl+Shift+V and we will paste the objects as a block.

• 4 weeks later...

Under the heading "Dumb Stuff from Old Coots" have you ever used the RENAME command? Did you even know there was such a command? It can be found under the Format pull-down menu in 2007 or invoked one of two ways at the command line by typing either RENAME (brings up a dialog box) or -RENAME (command line entry only).

The user can Rename: Blocks, Dimension Styles, Layers, Linetypes, Table and Text Styles, UCS's, Viewports and Views.

Example: If you wish to rename a block, using the dialog box, just highlight the word Blocks under Named Objects. Look to the right, under the heading Items, and you'll see a list of all blocks in your current drawing. Look near the bottom of the dialog box and you'll see entry boxes for Old Name and Rename To. Pretty self-explanatory at this point. Good luck and better CADDing.

Under the heading "Dumb Stuff from Old Coots" have you ever used the RENAME command? Did you even know there was such a command? It can be found under the Format pull-down menu in 2007 or invoked one of two ways at the command line by typing either RENAME (brings up a dialog box) or -RENAME (command line entry only).

The user can Rename: Blocks, Dimension Styles, Layers, Linetypes, Table and Text Styles, UCS's, Viewports and Views.

Example: If you wish to rename a block, using the dialog box, just highlight the word Blocks under Named Objects. Look to the right, under the heading Items, and you'll see a list of all blocks in your current drawing. Look near the bottom of the dialog box and you'll see entry boxes for Old Name and Rename To. Pretty self-explanatory at this point. Good luck and better CADDing.

i use rename to change the prefix of layers. S-* (survey) or E-* (existing) to D-* (demo)

great acad option.

This looks like an EXCELLENT thread. In fact it is so good I wish there was an easy way to print it out.

Can I view all 18 pages on one page in a simple format?

I probably will copy and paste but it will be a bit of mucking around to;

open each page

copy

paste into notebook (to erase all to graphics)

copy for notebook

paste into word

publish my new book of great Autocad tips (just kidding)