"Drawing contains large number of annotation scales" dialog

slimpickinz

Hey all! Been a while...

New job...

Working in 2008 LT SP1 right now, and have been noticing most drawings I have inherited are HUGE! Even a blank drawing I have created from deleting objects, purging, ran "audit" and saved back is still over 300kb.

Decided to open this up in ACAD LT 2012. and get this dialog...

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Clicking YES and saving the file reduces the file size in some cases 10 fold...

Is this option available in 2008 LT?

If so, I do not see the dialog. Read elsewhere that this dialog, once turned off (check the box), cannot be turned back on.

Thoughts anyone?

Glad to be back!8)

-SlimP

You can try this. Format > Scales > Reset. Otherwise I think there might have been a separate tool for removing excess annotation scales but I'll require a memory refresh to verify. LoL

Hey all! Been a while...

New job...

Working in 2008 LT SP1 right now, and have been noticing most drawings I have inherited are HUGE! Even a blank drawing I have created from deleting objects, purging, ran "audit" and saved back is still over 300kb.

Decided to open this up in ACAD LT 2012. and get this dialog...

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Clicking YES and saving the file reduces the file size in some cases 10 fold...

Is this option available in 2008 LT?

If so, I do not see the dialog. Read elsewhere that this dialog, once turned off (check the box), cannot be turned back on.

Thoughts anyone?

Glad to be back!8)

-SlimP

No. (well, yes. But I'll get to that.) The 2008 release is the cause of the issue. I bet your scale list has a bunch of them beginning with xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/xref/.........

2008 is the worst there has ever been. There was a bug in the code that kept duplicating the xref dwg scale lists and concatenating them to the base drawing scale list data every time the drawing was opened. I worked in a shop on 2008 where it would get so bad that running SCALELISTEDIT and then clicking the Reset Scale List button would abort the program and corrupt the drawing. When I say abort, I mean one minute you are trying to reset the scale list, and BLINK, you're looking at the desktop screen. No warnings, messages or anything, it just vaporizes.

The only cure I have found is to open the file in 2009 or newer, and CLICK "YES" to that button up there.^^^^ In fact, 2015 does it without even offering you a choice. It just sends me a nice note that it has unbloated the scale list.

When your boss is in a good mood let him know that 2015 LT, single seat leases for 45 US dollars a month, and it will save him a bunch of money.

Sounds like you do not have all the service packs, I believe this was fixed in service pack 1.

AutoCAD LT 2008 Service Pack 1

AutoCAD 2008 Service Pack 1 (if someone using full 2008 comes across this thread)

There is a scale list clean up utility to clean files created prior to the service pack install.

Scale List Cleanup Utility for AutoCAD 2008/2009

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2008/04/scale-list-clea.html

SLW...

Actually heard that about SP1, but it is recently installed and did not make much of a difference...

acad nfo2.jpg

Will try the utility and post back results.

Will work on a method of scripting this server-side after a few test runs locally.

Dana W--

I haven't seen any xref scales in the list at all, but a bunch of others...

scale-list.jpg

By deleting as many of these as possible, the file size is reduced somewhat. By killing the unreferenced scales & running a quick script, I can cut this baby down from 2MB to 1100KB. Very good reduction.

I have an option I have been using... remoting into an unattended machine with 2012 LT installed and opening the file and clicking YES...

A bit of a burden but it sure helps the efficiency moving forward.

Anyone....

How could I add _scalelistedit (& select the scales not in use and delete) to the following script?

_model
-purge
r
n
-purge
a
n
audit
y
zoom
extents
qsave

Cannot get this utility to run on my machine... extracted files to my AutoCAD install directory, and have admin privileges on this box... tried to open the .exe and it does nothing... nothing running in the task manager processes tab... nothing.

any suggestions on that front?

EXCEPTION.jpg

Now, everytime I go to Format... Scales list... I get that exception error dialog.

I believe I will approach the powers to be and see about that upgrade! 8)

-SlimP

2 meg down to to 1.1 meg? I was talking 15 to 20 meg down to 500kb after unbloating. But, yeah the best move is off of 2008 altogether. You know there are 40 or so scales that come canned in AutoCad but most people only use 4 or 5. Maybe you have deleted some of the standard ones and the data file has less items than the program code is trying to process. Try the reset scale list button to get the OEM list back.

Dana W--

I haven't seen any xref scales in the list at all, but a bunch of others...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53444[/ATTACH]

I see service pack 0.

It doesn't just concatenate the xref stuff, it seems to rename and add back in its own scale list too.

Sounds like you do not have all the service packs, I believe this was fixed in service pack 1.

AutoCAD LT 2008 Service Pack 1

AutoCAD 2008 Service Pack 1 (if someone using full 2008 comes across this thread)

There is a scale list clean up utility to clean files created prior to the service pack install.

Scale List Cleanup Utility for AutoCAD 2008/2009

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2008/04/scale-list-clea.html

The 2008 LT I was using last year at work, also had service pack 1, and the scale list bloat hotfix too. It still did it.

oops!

Posted the wrong image...

acad nfo3.jpg

And the file size reduction is nearly 50% of the original... regardless of what the size, it will eventually make a difference. It also effects the performance. Pushing for that upgrade today!

Thanks for all the input guys.8)

-SlimP

The Service pack is supposed to prevent further problems once installed.

The Cleanup Utility is to fix already messed up drawings.

It all worked great in Full AutoCAD 2008 as I recall.

I wonder if the latest Dwg Trueview might work on the drawings if converted back to 2004 or something.

I wonder how long they've been letting that one languish around the back of the supply closet.:rofl: They of course know that 2016 is already out, I assume.

• 4 years later...
On 3/25/2015 at 1:21 PM, slimpickinz said:

EXCEPTION.jpg

Now, everytime I go to Format... Scales list... I get that exception error dialog.

I believe I will approach the powers to be and see about that upgrade! 8)

-SlimP

That particular problem is because there are more scales in the drawing, than the dialog is equipped to contain.

In this case, use the command line version [-scalelistedit]