Plot to PDF Scale Wrong

billydavies21

If he does all of that I can make the PDF for him lol. ReMark, did he scale his model space drawing? I haven't even looked at it. I just set up his layout sheet.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• billydavies21

• ReMark

• MillerMG

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The plan is drawn to scale in AutoCad. I set the units to cm and went at it.

I just need it exporting to a PDF so that when it prints at A3 size, it's in a scale that I can identify and tell the council and when they measure it, they say "yes it's in that scale".

I thought that is what your PDF was. If not, then I probably shouldn't have just sent it to the solicitor dealing with it...

Perhaps this is something like you want.

(Do not let on to anyone, but I plotted them from Model Space without using viewports, but that is another story). Learn about viewports and keep an eye on the scales. AutoCAD plots in millimetres and one centimetre is 10 millimetres.

Two-A3s.PNG

H2O-A3 at 1 to 150.pdf

H2O-A3 at 1 to 200.pdf

Edited by eldon
corrected centimetres to millimetres, and nobody yet noticed!!

Eldon, thank you so much! So if the council were to print this straight onto A3, it would be 1:150/1:200 and when they get their rulers out, it all works out?

Sorry I'm being so dumb. I'm also doing my normal work (which is very time consuming itself!) and keep flitting back to this as it's so urgent.

....So if the council were to print this straight onto A3, it would be 1:150/1:200 and when they get their rulers out, it all works out?....

I expect that the council would be practised at printing out to scale. The thing to watch out for is that most people print with the Page Sizing and Handling set "To Fit". These PDFs must be printed out "Actual Size", and then the scale bars will work with a scale rule.

Eldon. Yes, when I did a test print I made sure that it was set to "Actual Size". But I was getting a scale of around 1:143 when measuring, so something else was going on. The whole 1:20 thing that Miller did really confused me. But yours has rectified that. I've sent it off to the solicitor for approval and apologized for sending the wrong one earlier!

I obviously need to learn about viewports and the other things mentioned. Shouldn't be this hard to just get this exported to PDF in scale!

Thanks again for all of your help guys!

Miller, 1:20 threw me out. The premises is so large, I can't see how it would fit on A3 at 1:20. one of the walls is 24m so dividing that by 20 to get the 1:20 would make it 120cm long, which is far too big for A3 printing! at 1:150 it makes it 16cm, far better for A3.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to do. All I know is that I have a headache and need a beer!

My $0.05 Like Eldon went to a layout created a new viewport 420,297, rotated 90, zoom e, something not right, inside window, UCS W plan, Z E, ok getting somehwere, did Zoom 0.05xp. this is true scale now 1:200. Plot, window, pick corners, scale 1=1, centered, note the Button > bottom right click on it, choose portrait. Should be perfect.

zoom 0.05xp the 0.05 in metric is a realtionship to 1m = 1000mm. We work mainly civil so in metres so the scale factor is easy 1;200 = 1000/200= 4

Drawing in centimetre units makes extra factors of 10, and this is tricky if you are not used to it.

Drawing in millimetre units would allow you to see whether the scaling was want you wanted, because AutoCAD is set up for millimetres.

AHHHH! Just got an email from the solicitor. They want it in 1:100. That means going up to A2 paper size I guess...

I'm going to have a go at doing it myself. Pretty sure I'm going to fail miserably as I still don't understand how you did it.

Actually it's not right. Something is messed up with the dimension labels. They're all over the place. I give up! :cry:

Actually it's not right. Something is messed up with the dimension labels. They're all over the place. I give up! :cry:

What do you mean "They're all over the place"? Attach a copy of the .dwg file (a PDF is not of any use).

What do you mean "They're all over the place"? Attach a copy of the .dwg file (a PDF is not of any use).

It's because converted Eldon's PDF to DWG. Messed everything up.

I've had an idea how how to do this "simply" but just want to check it works. I've drawn an A2 size box to scale next to the plan and then scaled it up by a factor of 100. If I place this around the floor plan, then plot the extents and export as PDF, would that be accurate? Or is it not that simple? I've attached the PDF output & the DWG, but have no idea if it's accurate as I can't print A2 here.

H2O-A2 at 1 to 100-Model.pdf

H2O.dwg

H2O.dwg

Converting from PDF to DWG is usually not a good idea. Why didn't you ask eldon for a copy of the actual DWG file?

I opened your drawing but I don't see the dimensions you referred to. What happened to them?

Converting from PDF to DWG is usually not a good idea. Why didn't you ask eldon for a copy of the actual DWG file?

I opened your drawing but I don't see the dimensions you referred to. What happened to them?

Yeah I know that now... That's a good idea! Eldon, can I have the DWG please!

I overwrote the dodgy PDF file. Doesn't exist anymore.

I think I just found the dimensions. What exactly did you do? I started to edit the dimensions (height, etc.) but I just don't have the time. Sorry.

In the future, it would be wise to create separate layers, with distinctly different colors, for such things as linework, text, dimensions, hatching, title block / border. It makes life much easier.

Edited by ReMark

Hmm, sure I replied to you. Obviously not... Well let's try again!

I converted Eldons PDF to DWG. Tried to scale that up so it would be 1:100 on A2 paper. The PDF I exported had dimensions all over the place and some were unreadable. I assume that was because of the poor conversion.

Layers sound like a good idea. I just don't have time to learn about them while trying to complete a job that's 2 days overdue already!

I really need to get this sorted. I now need the plan on a PDF that when printed on A2 paper, will be 1:100 scale. The PDF I uploaded a few posts ago is the closest I've got to that. However, I have no idea if it's right or not, as I can't print that size to test.

f I can get Eldon's DWG I might be able to figure it out. But I'm still really confused by this whole mess. Doesn't help that I'm also trying to do my normal work, which is super time consuming also!

Thanks again for your help so far!