What would be the intrest in a CADTutor IM or Chat area?

f700es

What kind of IM or Chat would you like to see?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of IM or Chat would you like to see?

• A web based system at the CADTutor forum
    • A IM client based system
    • Don't care for one at all

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADTutor

• f700es

• ReMark

• Norts

Top Posters In This Topic

Like i said before, i use IM for my personal interests. most of you on here i have no problem with you guys having my IM screenname. but i'd rather see an "instant live chat" on the boards, hosted through the site itself. i'm all for it. :)

Guest Alan Cullen

I'm assuming IM is "instant messaging"......if so I agree with Styk, it would be great to have it here. I get a bit frustrated when I'm trying to communicate with a member and have to reply to a post, and then wait half hour for that member to come back online and respond. :)

• 2 weeks later...

There doesn't seem to be too much interest in adding a live chat feature to the forum. Am I right or did this post just ge buried?

Do let us know what you think.

I think it would be a good feature to have, but considering a lot of put people into their signature, NOT to PM or email them; it seems somewhat paradoxical for this kind of feature to be asked for.

Or maybe that is just my perception of it.

I think the idea is that it speeds up the process of communication when members want to give/receive help one-to-one. I can see it has a legitimate and potentially very useful function. My one slight misgiving is that it could be abused. But since the use of such a tool would only be available to members, we have pretty good control over that and we retain the sanction of banning.

I can't say if its a good or bad idea or what type of system it should be but I don't see that I would use it. At work we are not allowed PM type programs (although many do run them) and at home I don't have access to AutoCAD. I know my subject well enough to give pointers without testing on AC but would rather "walk through" problems if live.

Guest Alan Cullen

I have given this further thought.....my only misgiving is that when one-on-one assistance is given to another member, then so many other members miss out on what is being solved, and those members could benefit from the solution. :(

When I'm retired mabye I'll get into IM or whatever takes its place but the truth is IM is frowned upon here at work and by the time I get home, even though I participate as much as I can, there never seems to be enough time to do everything. And as Alan points out, the back and forth that goes on here can be shared by many. If two members wish to take their shared interests to another level, they'll figure out a way to do it without necessarily involving this site. More power to them, I say.

I agree, what's the point of having the forum if everyone is just going to IM each other. That's why my signature says "Don't PM me with questions". The forum is interactive and everyone can participate and learn from each other. IM and PM is just one on one which means only the people that are actually involved can benefit. I don't think it belongs here, as it would undermine what this place is really all about, which is learning from each other as a community.

Guest Alan Cullen

There you go.......concensus......even though my first thoughts were for it....now having given the idea more thought....I'm against it.

We must put our junior members above our own desires. They are the ones who stand to benefit from our ramblings....and that can't be done with IM.

'nough said...scrub the idea....sorry everyone who was in favour....:)

If we assume that Alan has now changed tack, we have 6 votes for and 6 against. Personally, I agree with the sentiments given above and I would only implement such a system if I was sure that it was adding to the forum and not taking anything away from it.

There is no imperative to do anything right now but it remains an option and I'd like to keep this discussion open a while to see if there are any other views.

i think the im feature would be abused as outlined above.

it may be useful in the future, when cadtutor grows and we create a 'magazine' type thing, or some such like that. that would then be the quickest form of collaboration between the senior memebers of this website; who i presume would end up writing the feature articles

I don't think the IM feature would really benefit us all.

I like this forum because you can read all the other posts

and learn something. I don't think 1 on 1 chat is gonna help.

When I first joined this forum I was more than happy with the

quick replies I got from all you Cad wizards. Along with my books

it has really helped me over the past few months to get a handle on

this program.

So I agree NO IM. If thats 6 for and 6 against, my vote must swing it.

Dodge

Hi Team

I hope you are all well and in good spirits

Being a new member I am over the moon with the forum the way it is thank you. So all I can say is

“ Instant Messaging My Backside ”

Alan

• 10 months later...
I use this chat box on the forums i run for a car site

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=159654&highlight=cyb+chat

a quick 30 second instillation.

you do get odd question but i jsut tell them to ask in forums.

That looks like a very good plug-in. If we ever decide to go that route, I'll check it out.

doesn't vBulletin come with the option for a chat room?

SF has one (or more)

I never use the darn thing - it moves way too fast for some of the users on here anyway :wink:

I agree with all the above comments about the drop in threads where everybody can benefit - and the rest of us just use messenger as and when :)