basty

Technical Drawing Question

How do you draw the left side and right side view of a pipe like the attached file?

[url]http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/SgrOiB0w/file.html[/url]

If you don't understand what I am asking, please see below image for reference.

This is the 3D view of the pipe:

[IMG]https://s18.postimg.org/3qj3pv1ah/pipe.png[/IMG]

When you make a slice through a tube you are left with an ellipse, the major axis is the width of the tube, and the minor is the height which you can take directly from the front view, (the bottom part of the outer edge would be flat).

Why not let AutoCAD do it for you? Create a 3D model of the pipe and extract the required 2D views using the Flatshot or ViewBase (a.k.a. - BaseView) commands.

[quote name='CyberAngel']When I was in civil, we drew pipe ends like so:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62937[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

I don't think the OP was asking about how to represent a pipe end. His question is a bit more specific.

[quote name='steven-g']When you make a slice through a tube you are left with an ellipse, the major axis is the width of the tube, and the minor is the height which you can take directly from the front view, (the bottom part of the outer edge would be flat).[/QUOTE]

And if the slice were made at a 45 degree angle the result would look how?

An example of a pipe that has been sliced at a sixty degree angle. Visual style is Conceptual. 2D views (upper) were extracted via Flatshot from the 3D models below. BTW... I did not access your zip file. Your angle may be different than mine.

[attachment=48552:name]

[quote name='ReMark']And if the slice were made at a 45 degree angle the result would look how?[/QUOTE]

Thats a trick question, at 45° it would look square :twisted:

Is there available any "technical drawing" forum around?

Try google there should be some books around if you can get kindle versions they are generally cheap. This is high school class room stuff. There are some on-line courses.

How many picked up on the very subtle gotcha that was in the posted image I compliment Remark that he has seen it. Something a beginner would miss.

[quote name='BIGAL']Try google there should be some books around if you can get kindle versions they are generally cheap. This is high school class room stuff. There are some on-line courses.

How many picked up on the very subtle gotcha that was in the posted image I compliment Remark that he has seen it. Something a beginner would miss.[/QUOTE]

I saw it, but assumed that it was a modeling anomaly, so was somewhat confused by subsequent representations, and talk about the straight edge.
Having cut a whole lot of tubing and pipes at miters on a band saw, I can't imagine why someone would want to do it that way, except of course, as BIGAL suggested as a gotcha. :beer:

[quote name='ReMark']And if the slice were made at a 45 degree angle the result would look how?[/QUOTE]

I should think more [I]nearly[/I] rectangular, would be closer to the mark (or should I say ReMark?) :beer:

A circle?

dJE

A circle was my thought exactly except of course that in this case the OP introduced a bit of a flat edge on the OD of the pipe.

[quote name='basty']Is there available any "technical drawing" forum around?[/QUOTE]

Why do you ask? You have all the resources that you need right here. Additionally, had you taken my advice you would have been able to definitively answer the question yourself. Well?

I agree with BIGAL. Find yourself a good old fashion technical drawing/drafting book. I've mentioned three or four good ones a number of times in the past.

Here are names of some of the books I have mentioned in the past...

1. [I]Basic Technical Drawing[/I] by Spencer.

2. [I]Engineering Drawing[/I] by French.

3. [I]Technical Graphics Communication[/I] by Bertoline and Wiebe.

4. [I]Technical Drawing with Engineering Graphic[/I]s by Giesecke and Hill.

This should answer the question re: slicing a pipe at 45 degrees. The 2D representations were derived from a 3D solid model using the Flatshot command. Note that it does not include a flat edge as per the OP's original image at the beginning of this thread.

[attachment=48556:name]

[quote name='basty']Is there available any "technical drawing" forum around?[/QUOTE]

This should be a no-brainer. Do an Internet search. On what you may ask? [I]"Technical drawing forum"[/I] Here are three hits I got doing a similar search.

[attachment=48557:name]

There are plenty more to choose from. The bad news is YOU have to make the effort not only to search but to investigate as well. We cannot do that for you. Find a forum that suits your needs and participate regularly. Got it? Good. Now go do it. Happy hunting.

[quote name='ReMark']A circle was my thought exactly except of course that in this case the OP introduced a bit of a flat edge on the OD of the pipe.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't decide whether that was an actual straight edge or a "display issue" (for want of a better phrase).

dJE

We'll have to wait for the OP to clarify what exactly he was showing.

[quote name='steven-g']When you make a slice through a tube you are left with an ellipse, the major axis is the width of the tube, and the minor is the height which you can take directly from the front view, (the bottom part of the outer edge would be flat).[/QUOTE]

Actually, it is the minor axis, not the major axis, of the resulting ellipse that is the width of the tube. The minor axis of the ellipse formed by cutting a tube in a direction that is not perpendicular or parallel to the tube's axis is the same for all cuts. The major ellipse axis gets larger as the cut becomes closer to being parallel to the tube's axis.

The OP's question is a bit ambiguous as there is nothing explicitly stated to identify the "left" view. I guess we are suppose to assume that the "3D View" is an isometric view that shows the front, left, and top views of the object. Moreover, the country of the OP is not specified so we don't know whether to assume a first or third angle projection!

[quote name='lrm']Actually, it is the minor axis, not the major axis, of the resulting ellipse that is the width of the tube. The minor axis of the ellipse formed by cutting a tube in a direction that is not perpendicular or parallel to the tube's axis is the same for all cuts. The major ellipse axis gets larger as the cut becomes closer to being parallel to the tube's axis.
[/QUOTE]
Actually it is the major axis, below 45° the width of the tube is wider than the projected height of the cut making it the major axis at 45° both measurements are the same, and above 45° the width of the tube becomes the minor axis (the OP's drawing has a cut angle of 38°). The width of the tube does remain constant no matter how the ellipse is formed, but the major axis of an ellipse is the longest size and depends on the angle.

[quote name='basty']I am interested to buy the "[I]Advanced Level Technical Drawing[/I] by E. Jackson" book. Judging from the title, I assume this book offer and teach more on technical drawing than the books you mentioned above. But, before I spend my money on this book, does anyone here have already read this book? Is it worth? Just to make sure I don't waste my money on this book.[/QUOTE]

TBH, I'd take Remark's recommendation!

[quote name='steven-g']Actually it is the major axis, below 45° the width of the tube is wider than the projected height of the cut making it the major axis at 45° both measurements are the same, and above 45° the width of the tube becomes the minor axis (the OP's drawing has a cut angle of 38°). The width of the tube does remain constant no matter how the ellipse is formed, but the major axis of an ellipse is the longest size and depends on the angle.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps we can agree on x-axis and y-axis?!?

dJE

[quote name='basty']I am interested to buy the "[I]Advanced Level Technical Drawing[/I] by E. Jackson" book. Judging from the title, I assume this book offer and teach more on technical drawing than the books you mentioned above. But, before I spend my money on this book, does anyone here have already read this book? Is it worth? Just to make sure I don't waste my money on this book.[/QUOTE]

I am not familiar with Jackson's book.

Let's get back to the topic of this thread. What's up with the flat edge in the image contained within your first post?

[quote name='danellis']
Perhaps we can agree on x-axis and y-axis?!?
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately not an ellipse has a major and a minor axis, and the major axis does not depend on orientation, it is the longest of the two, except when they are both the same size but then it is no longer an ellipse 8)