Filling or moving holes AutoCad 2007

Berzerker

Well that was disappointing. I spent all day digging through my back room for old hard drives (IDE) for my laptop I was going to use for my print server. I got one to boot up one time and thought Great. But after a shut down and restart it failed too. So I'm back at my cover.

I hit preview and this is what I got on the little top section.

1267870731_Topsliced.thumb.JPG.8f63895b299523d6234af52c6c31482a.JPG

The time depends on lots of things I left the settings alone as I have been printing small Warcraft figures for my son so the settings are for the highest quality, as mentioned the less supports the shorter as well watching a model appear considerable time is spent building supports. You can change nozzle dia like 0.2 0.3 0.4 the large size probably ok for what your making so faster.

Re software just download it, in fact print is done from a Micro sd. My son just sends me gcode and can print.

If you don't mind to just load these and tell me what you think. I hate to ask but before I send the next set to my friend for printing I'd like to get someone's opinion that knows more than me. I want it done right and I'm not a 3D printer person nor am I experienced enough.

Just if you get time.

Couldn't upload the bottom gcode, it said it's to big. So I just sent the .stl

when you load it the one that says 4mm should be 101.6

CE4_MindBlower top.gcode CE4_MindBlower_middle.gcode

MindBlower bottom.stl

Edited by Berzerker

I am no expert my son does most of the production, the gcode looks like object is not on the print bed and over to one side, rather than in middle.

If your happy post the dwg.

Can I move it up in Cura or do I need to fix it in the drawing? I just noticed that.

Edit: I figured out how to move it but I can't tell if it's on the bed right

If I pick it above the bed it drops down does that mean it on the bed right?

I found a mistake in my middle piece but it's nothing to fix. The holes aren't showing on top of the middle piece.

Edited by Berzerker

I just opened dwg moved the base by picking somewhere in middle then did move to 0,0,0 erased others did stlout then oops to get others back.

I did find the objects were sitting at a Z value so used move 0,0,0 0,0,-z to put on z=0 plane just used list and increased decimals displayed for z value. Also changed nozzle size and quality, 7 hours to make, sounds about right for my printer. I think you can do the move in Cura but as I say I just turn the printer on and check its centered and size is ok.

Need to make sure your in World UCS when moving.

image.thumb.png.9933cc24548872dee0e729d850279e31.png

I might not be understanding the UCS as well as I thought. I go to look at things in one view but when I swap views the UCS changes too. I always thought of it like a piece of paper your drawing on. the paper is flat and anything in the Z axis is up above the paper. Meaning if I were drawing something from the top view and I changed to right view my Z axis should now be pointing up. Maybe I'm wrong but mine doesn't do that.

Here is a view of my right view:

Notice that the Z axis is pointing towards me nA3yU63.jpg

Here it is without changing anything in the UCS: 6RN23Wo.jpg

The Z axis is still pointing at me (?) shouldn't this have changed ? Up is up right ? Or is it every time I change views do I have to change the UCS ?

In my eyes or should I say understanding this is how it is: 8tyLiwZ.jpg

Z is pointing up. If I rotate the objects they won't move in certain plains when I set this view to world. If I try to move them up or down they will only go sideways.

Is this caused by me drawing the objects at full scale and it be set to an 8.5" by 11" piece of paper. So the objects would now be outside the drawing limits.

Edited by Berzerker

I haven't set LIMITS in ages.

Given the orientation of your UCS as pictured above you are limited to moving in the same directions as you would if looking down on a piece of paper.  If you want to move up change the orientation of your UCS such that "X" is pointing in the same direction as "Z" is above.

Edited by ReMark

OK to show I'm not crazy here's a view with me trying to export the .stl file and I changed UCS to world.

Why is there now a Z axis ?

Z axis 4.JPG

Edited by Berzerker

5 hours ago, Berzerker said:

OK to show I'm not crazy here's a view with me trying to export the .stl file and I changed UCS to world.

Why is there now a Z axis ?

Z axis 4.JPG

Yeah, if you switch to a side view, and then set UCS to World, the icon will change to show Z Up. I typically don't work in the standard views, so I wasn't aware of this. I generally do all of my work while viewing models in perspective, spinning it around and working in full 3D. But, I also don't use Autocad for 3D work either, so that's another reason why I didn't know. :lol:

As for the issue of not being able to move up and down, that could be a limitation of your 2007 version? I'm not sure. Or maybe I'm not understanding the issue? I'm able to move up, down and side to side.

Edit: Nope, I just checked and it's like ReMark mentioned. If you change to a side view and then set your UCS to World, you can only move left and right. So just change to a side view and don't change your UCS. Then you will be able to move up, down and side to side.

UCSFollow is set to 0. Is that right ? I'm still working on my print server too, so I'm back and forth.

Got some more questions coming but I want to get this being able to print from anywhere in my house up and running. It won't let me (for some reason) just tell this computer to tell the other computer "Hey, print this". I've been all over the web trying every trick they say. It's a wired printer not wireless so I have to tell a computer to tell it to print.

I just tried setting UCSFOLLOW to 1 but it makes no difference. If I switch to a side view and set UCS to World, I can only move objects side to side on the Y axis. I cannot move them in the Z direction. But, if I switch to a side view and do not set UCS to World, I can move objects in both the X and Y axis.

If you want to move things in the Z direction you have to use snap points or typed 3 coordinate values, UCSFOLLOW only allows or stops the UCS changing to match your current view (for orthographic views at least), the idea is to keep the World coordinate system always intact or allow the UCS to alter so that you can move in 2 directions on your screen. Afaik there is no way to use just the mouse movement to move in the Z direction no matter what your UCS is set to.

Thanks steven-g. I want to tell you guys how much I appreciate all of your help. I don't know where I'd be without it.