I don't know what they're asking for

JonnaMcSki

Your spreadsheet is giving you the distance answers, go back to my image the circle has a radius = distance where it crosses the line is the contour level point so need at least 3 points, then can work out RED line joining 2 points. erase circles not required line and keep going next points from end of red line. 

Hello ReMark,

I totally agree. Unfortunately, that is not the case. It is consistently frustrating when I ask my teacher for help, I'm blown off. Once I asked a question about the dimensions of something and he said look it up. I explained that I did and couldn't find what I was looking for. I showed him a screen shot of my search history for 5 hours and he said that it is part of the test. I was looking for how long I beams come in and he knew that after many emails in which he sent me emails telling me he found the answer so fast with links to articles. I finally got him to tell me that they are cut to size. A friend and I read the info he sent me there was nothing about I beams being cut to size. That is just one of over 30 examples. It also takes over a day to get a response. Responding to emails is his only responsibility as this class teacher. There are no class hours and no streaming classes. 

I find typos and wrong info all the time in their materials and I inform them of it. When I find wrong info on test stuff, they basically say no because no one else complained it's not wrong, I just don't have enough of an education to understand the question I should have taken another class first. If I'm so dumb then why am I constantly finding mathematical, spelling and grammatical errors in your materials? Very very frustrating. 

I have a new issue I have asked the teacher but I'm certain he is just going to tell me to figure it out. This is where I'm stuck now.

I’m working on the Structural and Civil Drafting Project, still.

I’m trying to add the Centerline for Cedar Park Drive. This is the info from the test about the Bench march and the Drive. Also, there is a grid with 50' squares 17 across and 11 down.

"The area is in a state that bases all surveys on the intersection of a meridian and a baseline for that state. Therefore, the origin (or point 0, 0) for all surveys is at that intersection, and any x- and y-coordinates tell the distance in feet from the intersection. If, for example, a benchmark is at point 11675,39532, the benchmark is 2.21 miles east of the intersection and 7.49 miles north of the intersection.

A benchmark (BM 312) exists at the northwest corner of the survey area. BM 312 has an elevation of 88.9 feet, and its coordinates are 521662, 44895."

"It's at the bottom of a hillside. The centerline radius of Cedar Park Drive is 7115.37′, and the centerpoint is located at 528257.05,47668.89. The distance from the centerline to the curb on each side is 20′, and the distance from the centerline to the right of way on each side is 40′."

I can’t get it to land in the grid. I really don’t understand how it is supposed to. I did the math. The benchmark is at 521662, 44895 and the driveway is at 528257.5, 47668.89 the grid is only 550’ by 850’ but the drive CenterPoint is 6595.05’ east and 2773.98’south of the benchmark. Why is this not adding up?

Jonna Malinowski

Cedar Park Drive is not a straight road.  It is an arc segment, a relatively flat arc.  The centerpoint of the arc is located outside of the bounds (grid) that is why it does not fall within the 850'x550' grid dimensions.  You do have all the necessary information to construct the centerline of Cedar Park Drive and then the width of the road as well.  See image below.  The blue arrow points to the centerline of Cedar Park Drive.

CedarParkDrive.PNG

• Thanks 1

Wow, that is helpful. I was very thrown by the main description being radios. Hopefully with some experience I will see what you see. Thank you. I'm planning on continuing my education after this program. Would an algebra and geometry class help me understand this specific concept better? Thank you again.

I just did it and thank you. Now I see it!

Edited by JonnaMcSki

"I just did it and thank you. Now I see it!"  Glad to hear you figured it out.

In your "spare" time you might want to take a look at horizontal curve layout only to get a sense of what is involved.  It would be a good idea to take both an algebra and a geometry class (or two) in the event you want to enter an engineering field (ex. - civil).  If you decide to further your education and attend college, I'm sure there will be an emphasis on math related courses beyond the two I have already mentioned.

Thank you, I will look into horizontal curve layouts, that is something I wanted to check out but didn't know what to call it. I love geometry so I can do that. Algebra not so excited about. Thanks, again.