• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• basty

• ReMark

• eldon

• BIGAL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Open acad.lin and find the dashed linetype that comes closest to the one you want to create and copy it.  Open the copy (using NotePad) and modify it.  Save it using a unique name.  Place your new linetype in the same subfolder as the original acad.lin.  In the Linetype Manager dialog box, click Load. In the Load or Reload Linetypes dialog box, use one of the following methods: Choose the linetypes to load. Click File to open a linetype definition (LIN) file and choose the linetypes to load.

Well it can be done, but only for lines that are an odd number of integer units in length. Can you comply with that absolutely necessary requirement?

As shown in the picture below, the "A" type linetype can space the line as you want, but only for line lengths of integer odd numbers.

If you are brave and try the "S" type linetype, it can do as you want for even integer lengths, but the end unit of the line has nothing (it is a space).

Basty Lines.PNG

Edited by eldon

59 minutes ago, ReMark said:

Open acad.lin and find the dashed linetype that comes closest to the one you want to create and copy it.  Open the copy (using NotePad) and modify it.  Save it using a unique name.  Place your new linetype in the same subfolder as the original acad.lin.  In the Linetype Manager dialog box, click Load. In the Load or Reload Linetypes dialog box, use one of the following methods: Choose the linetypes to load. Click File to open a linetype definition (LIN) file and choose the linetypes to load.

Where do I find this acad.lin file?

We use a Custom.lin this way when we do an upgrade no need to hunt down Acad.lin etc.

Anway what you want plus some more.

*STATCON06,__  __  __  __  __  __
A,0.60,-0.60
*STATCON1,__  __  __  __  __  __
A,1.00,-1.00
*CONTINUITY12,______            ______
A,1.00,-2.00
*LANE39,____        _____        ____
A,3.00,-9.00

Just use linetype Load, I would suggest if you want to use often load the linetype into your preferred DWT then its available.

That line type has a dashed line length of 12 units and a space of 3 units.

AutoCAD does not come with a linetype of one unit dashed line and one unit space. You have to write a new linetype definition as many of the posts above are telling you..

Depends on whether you want to add a new linetype, similar to the one BIGAL did above (ex. - Basty Line-A) or edit an existing linetype like DASHEDX2 which is included in the acad.lin file.

I tried following BIGAL suggestion but it doesn't work, what should I do?

There are two .lin files in my AutoCAD 2014, they are acadiso.lin and acad.lin.

Which file I should edit?

Edited by basty

16 minutes ago, basty said:

I tried following BIGAL suggestion but it doesn't work, what should I do?

There are two .lin files in my AutoCAD 2014, they are acadiso.lin and acad.lin.

Which file I should edit?

You edit acad.lin if you are using imperial units or you edit acadiso.lin if you are using metric units.

7 minutes ago, basty said:

I got this error message when edit the acadiso.lin file using Notepad:

acadiso.PNG

Did you edit acadiso.lin, change the file type to .txt then copy it back to the subdirectory from which it came?  You certainly have a penchant for misadventures.

2 minutes ago, ReMark said:

Did you edit acadiso.lin, change the file type to .txt then copy it back to the subdirectory from which it came?  You certainly have a penchant for misadventures.

Yes. You said I should edit the file using Notepad.

Edited by basty

Yes, I did.  However, now AutoCAD does not know what to make of the file since you changed the file type extension from .lin to .txt, understand?  After editing you should have changed the file type extension back to its original format.

This is what I do on the .acad.lin:

*HIDDEN,Hidden __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
A,1.00,-1.00

But it doesn't works, the line is still longer than the space.

16 minutes ago, basty said:

This is what I do on the .acad.lin:

*HIDDEN,Hidden __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
A,1.00,-1.00

But it doesn't works, the line is still longer than the space.

Did you have AutoCAD open and running in the background when you edited acad.lin?