Are you using a 2009 AutoDesk product?

ReMark

If so, what product is it? Plain vanilla AutoCAD? AutoCAD LT? Other? I'm trying to get a feeling for how many 2009 users are out there without having to click on the name of every registered forum member. Thanks, in advance, for your input.

I'm using vanilla AutoCAD.

I too have had no problems with stability (up-to-date on all service packs). I have had problems with customizing the Ribbon as some of you may have read about in another post.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• CADTutor

• f700es

• NBC

I also use vanilla autocad 2009 thought at first it was going to not work well with my custom menu's but I've been lucky to fumble through and get it all converted and working well,.. been real stable for about 4 months now...

I'm using Vanilla 2009. It is no more or less stable than previous versions. I am still struggling with the Ribbon - it is less efficient, more clicks required and I have found myself using the keyboard more than before.

I still have major problems with Direct3D on Vista despite being up-to-date with service packs and latest drivers for the Quadro FX.

I found that once I customized the Ribbon to serve my purposes, one tab with seven panels, I am happier with 2009. With the change I managed to reduce the number of clicks and put an end to jumping from tab to tab. I too depend heavily on command aliases.

Still haven't experienced any stability problems even though I'm running it on XP Pro with the /3GB switch (for two weeks now).

I found that once I customized the Ribbon to serve my purposes, one tab with seven panels, I am happier with 2009. With the change I managed to reduce the number of clicks and put an end to jumping from tab to tab.

I agree with that. I haven't yet had the time to do it but I have realised that I need to do a major customisation job on the Ribbon in order to make it work for me. Whereas, the previous interface could be used without resorting to the CUI by displaying relevant toolbars.

Maybe Autodesk have spent so long perfecting the CUI that they are forcing us to actually use it!

I started with the 2D panel since that's where I spend the majority of the time. I have not tackled the 3D panel yet. I am still figuring out where some of the commands I normally use I buried (if they exist on the panel at all). Do you find yourself still going to the browser button (or menu) or whatever AD calls the big red "A"?

I've undocked my ribbon, so that it more resembles the look of a Tool Palette.

Still, it is more clicks than simply typing out commands; especially considering the number of shortcuts I have implemented.

Do you find yourself still going to the browser button (or menu) or whatever AD calls the big red "A"?

The "menu browser" - I did at first but now I cheat by having the pull-down menus displayed above the Ribbon (menubar=1) so that means 1 less click.

What drove me to customizing was the annoying realization that I was always one tab and one more click away from the next command I needed. Who needs 6 tabs and 36 panels not to mention a couple of hundred commands(?) in one drawing session?

I'm using Vanilla 2009. It is no more or less stable than previous versions. I am still struggling with the Ribbon - it is less efficient, more clicks required and I have found myself using the keyboard more than before.

I could not agree more David. I WANT MY DASHBOARD BACK! Everything was there I needed and easy to get too. With the Ribbon open I have less drawing space than I did before. I do like how 2009's tool bars are thinner than previous versions.

Just as stable as 2008 so no problems there.

Didn't I read that one could emulate the Dashboard by reorienting the Ribbon in a vertical position and then customizing it?

I read that too but I have not had time to try it. Maybe I can see if there is some instructions on how to do this.