Batch Attribute Editor

Lee Mac

I have updated this program to Version 1.3, the new version can be found in the first post of this thread, or on my site here.

This update fixes a directory sorting bug, and also includes several new features:

• The attribute modification module has been completely rewritten to utilise Visual LISP methods, enabling processing of Multiline Attributes and also permitting the use of Field Expressions in attribute values.

• I have also added the ability to use incrementing attribute values in attribute data. If an attribute value contains markers surrounding numerical data, the numerical section between these markers will be incremented by one for each drawing processed by the program. More information about this feature is detailed in the updated program description, under the section entitled: Incrementing Attribute Values.

Let me know what you think :)

Of all the programs I have written, I honestly thought that this would be a more popular program - but not being a draftsman, maybe I have invested time in the wrong application.

A few questions if anyone has time:

1) Is the task of batch updating of attributes something that regularly occurs when drafting?

Hell YES!

Absolutely, all the time and it is very tedious and time consuming, ESPECIALLY so, if all of the files need to be opened in order to edit them.

2) Does this functionality already exist in AutoCAD, maybe a command that I have overlooked before writing this program?

Not that I am aware of.

3) Does the current version of the program function correctly?

I look forward to having enough drawings to warrant using it. Typically I will use the ACTIONRECORDER (lisp for lightweights) when I need to update issue dates and such, as my boss doesn't embrace the use of REACTOR triggered fields, as in ISSUE DATE populated by PLOT.

Hi Lee, I can't believe that I have never seen this thread. I have suggested this lisp specifically for the EDITING functionality to a number of OPs.

I have not had occasion to use it, or rather haven't had a big enough batch of them at one time, since I first saw it, and so have not downloaded and run it.

This is very well thought out and really helpful, assuming that it does what it is meant to do.

I just noticed the INCREMENTAL REV function which is important, and very helpful.

Keep up the GREAT work!

I am further excited by the fact that you have tweaked this....... that does it! I'm downloading this little beauty and taking it around the block. :beer:

I haven't checked it yet, am hoping that the incrementation can be numeric or alphabetic. The way you described it, seems like it is only numeric.

Sometimes REVs are ALPHA instead of numeric.

Edited by Dadgad

Hi Lee, I can't believe that I have never seen this thread. I have suggested this lisp specifically for the EDITING functionality to a number of OPs.

I have not had occasion to use it, or rather haven't had a big enough batch of them at one time, since I first saw it, and so have not downloaded and run it.

This is very well thought out and really helpful, assuming that it does what it is meant to do.

I just noticed the INCREMENTAL REV function which is important, and very helpful.

Keep up the GREAT work!

I am further excited by the fact that you have tweaked this....... that does it! I'm downloading this little beauty and taking it around the block. :beer:

Many thanks once again for all the recommendations for my programs Dadgad! I really appreciate your gratitude and feedback for my work :)

This is now probably my largest and most developed program yet, on a par with my Incremental Numbering Suite program - both have around 3,000 lines of code now. Since these programs are more of a hobby and without the pressure of project deadlines, I tend to inject a lot more passion into the program from the enjoyment of writing it, and will continuously tweak and improve the code until I am completely satisfied with it; every line of code in these larger programs is carefully considered.

Let me know how you get on if you get a chance to take the program for a spin!

I haven't checked it yet, am hoping that the incrementation can be numeric or alphabetic. The way you described it, seems like it is only numeric.

Sometimes REVs are ALPHA instead of numeric.

The option to increment attributes was not actually intended for use with Revision Attributes (since you would rarely need to increment a revision to a different value for each drawing in a set), but rather for attributes such as Drawing Numbers in Titleblocks, where, for example, the user could enter an initial Drawing Number and have it incremented for each drawing processed to produce a unique Drawing Number for each drawing.

Very nice work, Lee...seems you are the Einstein of Lisp...Cheers!

Cheers dong! Though there are many others far smarter than I in the world of AutoLISP - we all stand on the shoulders of giants :)

• 2 months later...

Following a couple of bug reports raised by a member at theSwamp, I have updated this program to Version 1.4

The new version implements a refined file and folder sorting function to emulate the Windows Explorer filename sort when selecting drawings to be processed by the program; I have also increased the character limits of the various edit_box tiles in the dialog to allow for the use of long Field Expressions in attribute values. Other general bug fixes are noted in the program code header.

The updated program may be downloaded from my site here, or from the first post of this thread.

Cheers,

Lee

• 1 year later...

I have stumbled across this and would love to use it for a set of 390 drawings that need a revision number and date updated. I have put in the block information and loaded a drawing list and hit run. It pulls the first drawing up and then proceeds to do nothing...lol. Any ideas what may be happening here?

Well, I am not trying to increment anything. All the rev numbers are "0" today. I want them all to be "1". They are in all of the drawings in the same block name with the same attribute tag. It just seems like it opens up the first drawing and stalls for some reason.

That is possible. Our company has a number of items that run at startup and I have a few lisp routines set to load automatically.

I did find your Global Attribute Extractor & Editor which I was able to run on these files to accomplish the same thing and that (as well as your Batch Find tool) go off without a hitch. For whatever reason, this Batch Attribute Editor doesn't seem to want to work though.

That is possible. Our company has a number of items that run at startup and I have a few lisp routines set to load automatically.

Have you tried running the Batch Attribute Editor with your customisations temporarily disabled?

I can assure you that the program performs successfully in my testing, and also in testing performed by numerous other users.

The program has also been verified as functional & stable by Autodesk since this app is published at the Exchange App Store.

I did find your Global Attribute Extractor & Editor which I was able to run on these files to accomplish the same thing and that (as well as your Batch Find tool) go off without a hitch. For whatever reason, this Batch Attribute Editor doesn't seem to want to work though.

I'm glad that my other programs performed as required, however, be aware of the known bugs when using ObjectDBX to batch process drawings - these bugs are noted in the code headers of the respective programs.

Lee

• 1 year later...
if i change a tag...and select a another plan to save it, wel he's open... doing something and then save and close....but nothing change?!

Sorry, I don't understand - could you rephrase your question?

This program is designed to change attribute values, not attribute tags - the attribute tags entered by the user are used by the program to identify which attribute values are to be changed.

What makes you believe this is not popular?

I have little need in any type of batch processing at my current job, though at previous companies this would have been quite handy.

Though I was considering (actually I will be downloading this today) checking this out in a few weeks/months, right now I am busy with design work, but when I start going through updating/cleaning up old files I may have need of your program. :thumbsup:

If I find time, I will try to do some work with it next week and provide some feed back.

Sorry Lee, I never responded back, I did use it some and still have more work that will need this.

Worked just great!! :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

Sorry Lee, I never responded back, I did use it some and still have more work that will need this.

Worked just great!! :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

Excellent to hear Steve! I'm delighted that you could make use of it! :)

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Lee, been using this very useful code for the past 4 months (version 1.4) but lately im having problem sometimes it's skipping drawings and terminating the whole process.

Hi Lee, been using this very useful code for the past 4 months (version 1.4) but lately im having problem sometimes it's skipping drawings and terminating the whole process.

Is there anything particular about the drawings being skipped?

i.e. Is it always the same drawings that are skipped?

Are the drawings particularly large?

Do you receive any errors at the command-line? (you will need to enable command-line logging to view this).