MText problems?? Please Help

jaredmccullough

I have run into an issue with Text where the "Content" is providing some sort of error. I am using an AutoLisp titled NUMINC which essentially is a text generator for creating numerically sequential text in large quantites. I am coming across issues where insted of the "Content" being the numerical value of the text. Say "15" would be the normal value to appear in the content portion under properties but in some cases I am getting a {/FARial Baltic/b1/i0/c186.....}. I am then having to go in and correct this by re-entering the value in each text box that i find like this. Does anyone know the issue?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• jaredmccullough

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sounds like Lee Mac's lisp,

the link to which is

http://www.lee-mac.com/numinc.html

Thanks Lee! :beer:

Perhaps you could try downloading it again from Lee's excellent website,

in case you might have an older version of it.

Barring that maybe Lee will notice your post and be able to sort you out.

the text being used is in Arial Baltic yes. It seems that about half the text created is fine with the "Contents" in the property being the value entered in the text box. But there are quite a few that come up with {/FArial Baltic/b1/i0....} my guess was that this is showing the format of the text in the text box in the "Contents" are of the properties. One might ask why if it showing the proper value in the text box then why would it mater what it is showing in the contents under properties. But I am using these for another program which uses the text values and its creating error codes in my other program because of this.

Is this DTEXT, MTEXT or text perhaps used in an attribute? What I am trying to get at is what is the difference between the text with no problem and the text that exhibits a problem?

I think I may have figured out the problem. So I use Lee Macs lisp to create a large quantity of values say 20 of the number "82" just to work as placement holders. Then I go back and individually change the value of "82" within the text box. When the number is "82" that is what it shows under contents but when I change the number to say "84" this is when that scramble of information appears in the "contents" portion of the properties. But as I stated previously the physically number in the text box adapts to the change in value its the contents that appear within the properties of the text.

The thing that confuses me is so when I change the value I get this we will call it an "Error" for the sake of dicussion. But then if I click in the text box and retype the same thing in it fixes itself. Unfortunately with all the data this will be very time consuming. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? I can select all the data but is there a command to or something to make the content = to their value that is showing?

Here is the exact problem.................So I use the Lee Mac Lisp to create an array of the same number say "85" for the sake of placement. I then need to make adjustments to each indiviudal value created. These adjustments are all numerical changes. I change one of th "85" 's to "92" that is fine. It is when I change the "85" to say "87" what I was doing was backspacing one to delete the "5" and adding a "7" to make it "87" what this was doing was leaving the original "8" from the "85". This is the only situation when this "Error" is occuring

Patient to Doctor. "Doc, it hurts when I move my index finger like this."

Doctor to Patient. "Don't move your index finger like that."

No I understand that now but I was wondering is there any quick way to fix this or do I have to click on each text box individually to see if there is an issue within the properities? Is there away I could adjust this by selecting the data all at once and using some kind of command that makes their "contents" equal their "face value"

Its the same with any text to if you use the copy command..........................Try this. Make a MText box. Put the number "85" in it. Copy the text and paste it. Click on the copied text box. Backspace (delete) the "5" but leave the "8". Now key in a "7" to make it "87". This value will look fine in the actual text box but when you click on properties in the "Content" portion you will see what I am talking about. Please tell me their is a way to fix this otherwise I have a horrid amount of stuff to correct?

I am not getting the same results as you. Using your last set of instructions my "Contents" box in the Properties palette has nothing other than the two numerals in it. Same goes for Quick Properties.

you are correct Sir I never tried doing it in a blank drawing to verify but instead assumed that it was correct because that is how it occured in my file. I will attach and if you could take a look to let me know what you think ?

Attached is the file. If you look at many of the various layouts you will see text scattered across showing measurements. Go to the layout entitled "SAFE-08-05A2-01" look at the red measurements. These are on the "Noise Measurements" layer. If you look some will already have this issue but if not use my instructions. See what you can come up with because I am at a loss to why it is doing this??????...........

SAFE-08-17 NoiseCAD.dwg

OK, I see what you mean.

My guess is that you cannot change just one of the two numerals you have to change both even if it means you retype a number. So if you had 85 to start with and wanted to change it to 87 you could not change the 5 to a 7. That's my take on the problem.

The same goes for the first number. Say you wanted to change 85 to 95. You are still going to end up with the problem. It only works if you type in two numbers not one.

Bottom line for you...you cannot use this particular lisp routine for what you are trying to accomplish since the values (noise measurements) are eventually going to be extracted and used in another program.

Now try this Remark.

Create a MText Text Box. Insert "85". Now go to properties. Change the "Style" to Main Text. Change the "Text Height" to .0667 (to keep it to scale). This will give you essentially the same thing without using the LISP. Now copy and paste and change only one variable the "8" or the "5" and it comes up with the same errror. By this I am thinking it has something to do with the text style itself???

I think I need a break from trying stuff. The problem for you is one of sharing information with another program right? If it weren't for that you probably wouldn't notice or even care what it said in the Contents box.

correct these measurements are being translated into a modeling program that interacts with autocad text files but these areas are coming up as errors because their actual values have this issue. I am trying to see if their is a way to correct this without having to go into each individual measurement and look at its properities. As I stated by the last example it seems like it is an issue within the text format not the lisp that is creating the probelm

I changed the text of the objects to standard and then apply the same instructions and the problem does not seem to occur this is more proof against the text style. But is there a way to fix this?